Angry Kitty

tobumpkin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, so my male cat is about 18 months old. He's been neutered since he was around 4 months old. We've had him since he was 2.5 months old. Our 3 year old dog and the cat have always loved one another. Like brothers from another mother. So, recently we acquired a female kitten. She is so tiny, I assumed she was about 6 - 8 weeks when we got her. About 2 weeks ago our vet informed me she is actually about a month and half older than I thought.She's 6 months or older. So, we have her scheduled to be spayed in the next couple of weeks, except that I think it's a good possibility she may be coming into heat. She's not at the annoying crying stage yet, lol, but my male cat has been sniffing the whole house for two days, including our female. The thing that bothers me the most is my male is suddenly acting aggressive towards our dog. Growling, meowing loudly, and hissing at our dog. Mostly if the dog comes too close, but I did watch the cat actually approach the dog earlier while he was sleeping and began hissing and growling and swatting at him. Luckily the dog is always under my feet and I have been to control the dogs behavior and send the cat away and we keep them separated when we leave the house. I guess my question after this long story is if my male cats sudden hateful behavior could be caused by my females going into heat even though he is neutered

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :wavey:

It's very possible that this newly aggressive behaviour you're seeing is related to your little girl's heat cycle. Yes, your male cat is neutered - but he IS still male, and he'll be aware of the hormonal changes and the very different scent that they produce. The sooner you can get your girl spayed, the better!

In the meantime, I'd consider trying Composure for your boy (if not your girl too). Daily interactive playtime for both (but especially your boy) may help matters too - the more energy you drain through play, the less energy your boy will have for going after you dog, and the more settled they'll both be. Keeping your girl isolated until after she's been spayed may help as well. [article="29675"][/article][article="32656"][/article][article="30316"][/article][article="32390"][/article]