Angry Brother Cats

CallMeAnything

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats are brothers and often loved eachother or got jealous of eachother. Recently a massive mat had to be cut off of one of them and the other one keeps hissing like he hasn't ever seen him before. What can I do to make them happy again?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi CallMeAnything CallMeAnything

Did the cat have to go to the vet or a groomer to have the mat cut off? Did you use any product on him to do it yourself, like hair conditioner etc?

If he smells different to the way he usually does his brother might not recognise him. This usually resolves itself in a few days, but some people put a little vanilla essence on a cloth and wipe the cats down to cover any strange smells.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, I've seen vanilla (REAL vanilla!) do wonders, as it makes both cats smell alike. I'd surely try it. At worst, you'll have a bottle of pure vanilla extract if you start feeling bakish!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perfectly normal for some hissing after a procedure away from home. It probably will be over by tomorrow. If not, try the vanilla dab or rub both cats with the same cloth to transfer the smells between them. As long as it doesn't get to be any more than a hiss or growl and a bop on the head or two, it's likely harmless.

Mine are all bonded, but go through the same thing each time one has to go to the vet.