Angry after the butt sniff

thegoodjuju

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I looked up why cats smell one another's bums, but I couldn't find any information about a cat being angry about after doing so. I know the glands in the anus contain valuable information about how a cat is and is feeling. My oldest cat will do the butt sniff, then get mad about it, growling and sometimes hissing. She does this with both kittens (1.5 yr and 1yr), but particularly with the youngest one who is a bengal. She doesn't attack or anything, and she even lays next to them sometimes and exposes her tummy. On the rare occasion she plays with the others. I'm just perplexed by the butt sniff followed by growl/hiss. This happens every single time, by the way, and it's just one short and simple growl/hiss. Nothing dramatic. But it's like she's constantly angry after each sniff.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I just had to respond to this after reading the title..

I have no idea why she does this, but it's obviously something in that area that provokes the response.

Does she stay angry?

ohws

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My hunch is that she is not angry. I suspect she wants to sniff out of curiosity but does not want to be sniffed and is therefore growling or hissing preemptively to discourage the other cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thegoodjuju

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

My hunch is that she is not angry. I suspect she wants to sniff out of curiosity but does not want to be sniffed and is therefore growling or hissing preemptively to discourage the other cat.
Okay, that's a plausible theory. I can see it making sense! 

I just had to respond to this after reading the title..

I have no idea why she does this, but it's obviously something in that area that provokes the response.

Does she stay angry?
Nope! She just take a whiff, growls and gets mad about it, sometimes sniffs a couple more times loudly, and either walks away or the other cat walks away. If the other cat who got sniffed tries to get too close to her, she'll swat around the air a couple of times or scurry off.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really sounds like she is offended by the odor!  I don't know.  I'm not a cat.