Anesthesia - Cat meowing excessively?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Elsa after surgery

I am posting a link to a video of her. I just got her home and gave her food. She just seems anxious.

I just want to know if this is normal after surgery? I was told she was given pain medicine. She had a tooth removed and a growth from her neck.

Edit: I dont know if shes just antsy to be stuck in that crate or if something is wrong.

Edit 2: I tried calling my vets office but they are closed after 5:00 pm and the voicemail box is full. :sigh: I just want her to get some rest so she can heal. Can someone please tell me if the meowing is normal?

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
From the looks of it, I would say she wants out of the crate. Is there any particular reason she is in there rather than being free to roam about? I can't really tell, but is there any room in there for her to lay down? I see what appears to be a litter box, but it looks like it's taking up almost all the space. Could be it's just that I can't see the entire thing :dunno:?

Anyway, cats aren't normally kept in crates after dentals or growth removals that I am aware of. Mainly this happens if they have broken legs or pelvises so they can't jump around and injure themselves. I would try letting her out and see if that calms her down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From the looks of it, I would say she wants out of the crate. Is there any particular reason she is in there rather than being free to roam about? I can't really tell, but is there any room in there for her to lay down? I see what appears to be a litter box, but it looks like it's taking up almost all the space. Could be it's just that I can't see the entire thing ?

Anyway, cats aren't normally kept in crates after dentals or growth removals that I am aware of. Mainly this happens if they have broken legs or pelvises so they can't jump around and injure themselves. I would try letting her out and see if that calms her down.

My cats are stuck in one bedroom. It's the only way i can keep them with me. So theres jumping places all around my room. I was told to keep her confided to avoid her jumping and hurting herself. Should i just let her loose? I'm scared she'll hurt herself or my other cat will bother her. Normally they play fight. The other cat didn't bother her the last time she did surgery but this was years ago. I don't know if she'll bother her this time.

Edit: no she's not used to being confined like this. Shes used to roaming my room freely. Do i let her loose?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My boy screamed his head off and was anxious following his neuter with limited anesthesia. It took a day for it to wear off. As long as he's eating and pottying normally, I think you're fine.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boy screamed his head off and was anxious following his neuter with limited anesthesia. It took a day for it to wear off. As long as he's eating and pottying normally, I think you're fine

Thank you! That's a relief. im hoping she feels better soon i feel panicky. The staff loved her and said she behaved so well.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: I let her loose and am giving her more food, she seems super hungry. Just nervous cause shes running everywhere. Shes calmer. Do i just leave her loose? She still seems wobbly and theres lots of jumping locations in my room that cants be blocked off.

update: i gave in and left her loose and the screaming stopped. She ate all her food and still seems hungry but i dont want to overfeed her so I am ignoring her. She seems to be getting her footing back and jumping easier.

Last edited:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some anesthesia can cause an increase in appetite. I wouldn't feed her more than normal. Try turning the lights out mostly and being quiet as she will be light and sound sensitive. I would leave her out. Just make sure you don't have any open windows and that she isn't so out of it that she will fall.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some anesthesia can cause an increase in appetite. I wouldn't feed her more than normal. Try turning the lights out mostly and being quiet as she will be light and sound sensitive. I would leave her out. Just make sure you don't have any open windows and that she isn't so out of it that she will fall.
I just gave her a normal portion for dinner and as soon as I lied down to sleep she did the same. She ate her breakfast normally. :blush: