Anemia/18% Red Blood Cell - 6mo Kitten.

KenjiAndFitz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Rescued two male kittens as a bonded pair in January - following the vet steps in raising them and giving them the best care in shots, treatments and a loving home. My vet is fantastic but currently I am in the worst waiting game of my life. I took my boys to get nuetered Thursday - definitely teared up walking away but made it to the car in time. 4 hours later I received a call from my vet that Fitz was in recovery but Kenji did not go through with the surgery - she noticed pale nose and after pre-blood screening he had a red cell count of 19.9% and that was with 2 tests run. This was ridiculously sudden - I take photos every day just about because everything they do is cute and honestly I adore them. Today is May 6th. Looking back at his photos April 21st was the last picture I have of his nose at full color. When you see a kitten every day and he acts the same I will admit I never noticed a change in his nose. My heart hurts for that.. however, his demeanor was the same. Super cuddly when he's calm, running around fighting his brother when hes wild.. nothing abnormal. Anyway, I'm freaking out. Vet gave me b12 and iron supplements, clavavox for antibiotic and dewormer shots. She did a blood smear came negative on felv and fiv.. she feels its chronic and something that he learned to live with which is why behavior was the same but to reach almost 7 months with just this week being the first sign. His nose is now pale with almost no pink. So 14 days ago I have a pic of full pink. Now, of course partially to being obsessed with his well being and watching him constantly he is super lethargic, not himself.. he loves these run tunnels I got him, noise mouse toy and laser pointer and now he just watches Fitz play. All happening this week.

Currently waiting results of full blood panel. Vet thinks its nonregenerative and chronic. I am no vet but don't understand how it took so long to find this? Hoping it's just a hook worm, though she feels unlikely.. she's also playing the 'don't want to be liable' for saying anything factual so I was left with a ton of questions tears and the enemy of google.

I guess I am looking for advice, thoughts, experience with kitten anemia.. how long it takes to surface. I know what can cause it and i know felv and fiv can come back positive in this next test. I just don't understand why so quick and sudden it its someth in ng he lived months with. Personally it seems like a new occurence but of course I'm wishful thinking.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry this is happening, particularly in so young a furbaby :hugs:

I've never had a cat with anemia, however, have read several threads here about them, and this one is of particular interest. Be aware, it doesn't have as good an ending as we would like, but it still has some very useful information in it:

Severe Non-Regenerative Anemia

:vibes::vibes::vibes:for Kenji.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no experience with this. But i am sending Kenji and you my best wishes. That it is something they can help him with, and he is much better soon! At least your vet did catch it, before the surgery. Now she can hopefully help him get well! Keep us updated on how he is doing :heartshape:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KenjiAndFitz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am worried sick and in between waiting for the PCR panel to determine a cause for my baby boy Kenjis anemia. I rescued him and his brother Fitz as a bonded pair in January and have been to the vet numerous times for check ups, shots and just recently Thursday for nuetering. Kenji could not go through as his red blood cells were 4.96 / hct 19.9. The vet called me right away and of course I went into a melt down but was able to discuss his behavior and habits. Yes, I failed to notice change in his nose color. I'm a new kitten mom and when he is running around and jumping off furniture like a nut with his brother on top of seeing them everyday.. neither me or my fiance noticed. Behavior wise, no change. Now a mix of me being obsessed with his anemia and how to fix him I am heart broken at everything he does now. He sleeps a ton, hes no where near his state two weeks back. April 21st I have a photo of a full pink nose. Vet thinks it's something he has adapted to and chronic and building. Does anyone have experience or knowledge to share? I attached the vet blood smear and I am still waiting results of PCR we sent off late Thursday.

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so very sorry that you and your kitten are going through this. I do not have any clue what this might be, there are so many things that it could be. But do know that you are not alone with this anymore!

KenjiAndFitz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you read that thread I posted on your other thread? It has some valuable info in it :hugs:

:vibes::vibes::vibes:
Yes thank you so much! It was very informative and we are doing all we can to get him to eat, take his supplements and get him healthy! Just waiting on a diagnosis and reasoning. My poor baby. Thank you for your support!

Saf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are there results for electrolyes, calcium, phosphorus etc? Has your vet considered an infection? Some of the numbers raise that possibility. It doesn't look like non regenerative anaemia as he's making new red blood cells, that's what the retik numbers indicate. A GI bleed is another possibility.

If he goes under 15 it's getting in the danger zone of congestive heart failure so it's something that needs to be got on top of. A blood transfusion is something to discuss with your vet if it gets much lower and that will buy more time to get to the bottom of the issue.

KenjiAndFitz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are there results for electrolyes, calcium, phosphorus etc? Has your vet considered an infection? Some of the numbers raise that possibility. It doesn't look like non regenerative anaemia as he's making new red blood cells, that's what the retik numbers indicate. A GI bleed is another possibility.

If he goes under 15 it's getting in the danger zone of congestive heart failure so it's something that needs to be got on top of. A blood transfusion is something to discuss with your vet if it gets much lower and that will buy more time to get to the bottom of the issue.
No results on that yet- full PCR will be in tomorrow I hope. Checked in today and the blood work just reached the lab. This waiting game is horrible. Once I get the results and get in for a check up we will discuss the transfusion. I'll do absolutely anything to help my little guy feel better. I was hoping it was a hook worm or something small - vet was sort of doom and gloom and remaining neutral in fear of liability of the outcome without knowing.. which I get but it leaves me just in a constant worry and no idea what is wrong.

KenjiAndFitz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any news yet?
He has been in the Pet Er since the start of last weekend - he had to get a transfusion to stay healthy enough for bone marrow. All treating of blood and even some fluid from his spleen that was displaying some swollen aspects came back inconclusive and no answer. He was just switched to oncology and internal medicine Monday morning in which he has maintained his blood cell count from transfusion but is not reproducing. All signs point to Lymphoma from the lack of production in cells from the bone marrow, the slow attack 9f the cells within the body the high lymphocytes and swollen lymph nodes. However, again just a high observation and as much as it's pretty clear what it is until we see the conclusive result i continue to fight the good fight and hope it's a 1% something we can fix. My heart is completely broken as the experience alone of the Pet Er was brutal and I just hope I can get some peaceful time with my guy at home and out of the hospital before any decisions are made. Its heart breaking for a baby so young.. not that anything like this should ever happen but it's so much more heart wrenching in a playful kitten just joining the world. Keep prayers high and thoughts strong is the best I can try to do right now.

KenjiAndFitz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also worries that if it's a form of Lymphomia with a bone marrow positive of Felv which is more than likely I worry sick my other kitten from the same litter will also be affected. Both adopted as strays from the humane society so it's definitely unsure they are from the same litter but pretty much 90%. Sorry if I sound pessimistic I am a realistic and always seem to set myself up for the worst case. I'm praying and thinking positive but occasional you have to see the perspective at hand.