And We Have a Problem

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kira's decided the new robot litter box makes a good bed! We've had to take her out of it twice tonight. Curled up in it looking quite content.

The litter we're using is scented. I'm going to shut her in my bedroom tonight so the other cats can get the use of it.

I did empty it earlier on and it only seems to be from then that she's started doing this.

I'm at a loss :dunno:

Any suggestions please?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
I'm sorry but I'm not clear, she started using it since you cleaned the unit, or since you started using the scented litter?

How many cats do you have? There's a rule of thumb of one box pee cat, plus one more box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi
I'm sorry but I'm not clear, she started using it since you cleaned the unit, or since you started using the scented litter?

How many cats do you have? There's a rule of thumb of one box pee cat, plus one more box.
8 cats of my own plus 1 I'm fostering for my former neighbour.

We just got a Litter Robot 3 on Friday that all the cats have been using well, just earlier tonight Kira, for some reason, decided it was a good place to sleep. I cleaned the waste drawer earlier and put in a fresh bag plus the litter we're using is scented (normally use unscented but it was all we could get) so I think she couldn't smell any pee etc., and thought it was a good place for a nap.

We also have several open boxes dotted around the house which we would like to get rid of as we're thinking of getting another Litter Robot 3 for upstairs.

When one of the cats uses the LR3, 15 minutes later it cleans the litter so it's always got clean litter in it. We do have to empty the waste drawer much more often than someone with one or two cats would. Someone with only one or two cats wouldn't have to empty the waste drawer for roughly 2 weeks - the machine tells you when to empty the drawer but with so many cats, we will have to empty the drawer every 2 days but it's a quick and easy job. I have mobility issues after an accident 2 years ago and can't bend down for long, also my son is developing arthritis (he's 35) which he's inherited from his father's side of the family so the Litter Robot 3 is a godsend to us.

Kira's stopped sleeping in it now so hopefully she's realised it's for peeing in, not sleeping in :rolleyes:

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How many litter boxes do you have? Sounds like you planning to get rid of some and relay on 2 or 3 LR3s?
if that is your plan, you are about to create a lots of problems in your home. For 9 cats you should have at least 10. 10 boxes!!!

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How many litter boxes do you have? Sounds like you planning to get rid of some and relay on 2 or 3 LR3s?
if that is your plan, you are about to create a lots of problems in your home. For 9 cats you should have at least 10. 10 boxes!!!
Not being rude but I don't think you know how the Litter Robots work. They are not like conventional boxes which get dirty very quickly no matter how often you scoop them. The cat does it's business in the LR3 and 15 minutes later it cycles and cleans the litter so the next cat to use it has clean litter, never dirty litter. The time for it to cycle can be either 3, 7 or 15 minutes. 15 minutes is ideal because it gives the litter time to clump.

At present we have 9 cats but one is a foster until her owner gets a place of his own, then she will be going home. He is missing her terribly but comes to visit her often.

All our cats are using the LR3 - it was just Kira decided it was a good place to have a nap - which also tells you how clean it is. She hasn't done that again. Earlier that evening we flead all the cats with Advantage so it might have had an effect on Kira and made her feel a bit odd for a while and cats will try and hide if they're feeling off colour so it could have been that. She was fine later on and tucked into her dinner.

The ratio for cleaning the LR3 waste drawer is:

1 cat - every 2 weeks
2 cats - every week to 2 weeks
4 cats - every 2 - 3 days
4+ cats - every 1 - 2 days

The machine flashes a light to let you know to empty the waste drawer. We still have several ordinary boxes dotted around but the cats are barely using them, favouring the LR3 hence we're thinking on getting a second one for upstairs.

If the cats are happy, we're happy :)

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not being rude but I don't think you know how the Litter Robots work. They are not like conventional boxes which get dirty very quickly no matter how often you scoop them. The cat does it's business in the LR3 and 15 minutes later it cycles and cleans the litter so the next cat to use it has clean litter, never dirty litter. The time for it to cycle can be either 3, 7 or 15 minutes. 15 minutes is ideal because it gives the litter time to clump.

At present we have 9 cats but one is a foster until her owner gets a place of his own, then she will be going home. He is missing her terribly but comes to visit her often.

All our cats are using the LR3 - it was just Kira decided it was a good place to have a nap - which also tells you how clean it is. She hasn't done that again. Earlier that evening we flead all the cats with Advantage so it might have had an effect on Kira and made her feel a bit odd for a while and cats will try and hide if they're feeling off colour so it could have been that. She was fine later on and tucked into her dinner.

The ratio for cleaning the LR3 waste drawer is:

1 cat - every 2 weeks
2 cats - every week to 2 weeks
4 cats - every 2 - 3 days
4+ cats - every 1 - 2 days

The machine flashes a light to let you know to empty the waste drawer. We still have several ordinary boxes dotted around but the cats are barely using them, favouring the LR3 hence we're thinking on getting a second one for upstairs.

If the cats are happy, we're happy :)
No, you are not rude at all. I have 3 cats 2 LR and 2 regular boxes and clean them daily. But my cats are big and big pooper,lol. If we don’t clean it for 2 days …… we running low on a sand! I would like to add another kitty however the litter situation is scaring me away .

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
when one of our cats started sleeping in the litter box it turned out he was sick, anemic, dying. the vet said they sleep in the box to be comforted by the familiar scents. Yes, your litter robot washes the litter but all the cats have come around the box, rubbed on the side of it and created a world of safe scents. I would seriously consider a vet visit.

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
when one of our cats started sleeping in the litter box it turned out he was sick, anemic, dying. the vet said they sleep in the box to be comforted by the familiar scents. Yes, your litter robot washes the litter but all the cats have come around the box, rubbed on the side of it and created a world of safe scents. I would seriously consider a vet visit.
No need if you read my post above. She's absolutely fine (she's a young cat) and back being her mischievous self. Eating well and everything good. I did deflea the cats earlier that evening using Advantage so it could have had a bit of an effect on her. Once it wore off she was fine. On the plus side - no fleas so, at least here in the UK, Advantage works. I'll follow up with another treatment in a month's time and I'll watch her for any reaction.

One of my old cats (now at Rainbow Bridge) did start sleeping in the litter box for exactly the reason you said and this is quite common. She'd also gone a bit senile. We got her out of the habit (well, almost) by putting an igloo type bed close to her litter box. She was 20 when she passed away very peacefully at home in the igloo with me gently stroking her.