...and so it starts...

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been going back to the colony where I trapped kittens last fall. I've been seeing one that I saw last year (name of Nod). I noticed Nod was pregnant, so I've been stepping up the effort. She looks small enough for a spay-abort. She's really just a kitten herself, under a year, but smart as all get-out. Smarter'n me, apparently. She slipped a trap, actually got out before the door closed. I was out today, I saw her take one look at the trap and she bolted. I left the traps for about an hour and a half, thinking if she doesn't see me, she might go in. When I got back, there sat a beautiful long haired male in one of the traps
! I would have preferred Nod, but each journey starts with a single step, and we can't decide who's going to go into the trap, can we! He's going to be neutered tomorrow. I found out the Anti-Cruelty Society does ferals on T-W-Th for $25. A woman there referred me to another organization who said they would pay for every stray or feral I bring in!

Oh, and as I was leaving, I went to the alley to put out the extra "bait" so others could eat, there sat Nod.

malynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a female in my small colony that I have been trying to trap for months now. I have to make appointments at my vet for this and can only try on the night before I take them in. This one is so smart, everytime she sees the trap she takes off. She is pregnant now I'm sure and I had all the females done except this one. I just cant get her. I feel so sorry for her, she looks so tired.
I'm making an appointment today to try and get her again. Poor girl she just doesnt know how much happier she will be! She's the last female and if I can get her in I will be soo happy! The last time I used KFC as bait to trap with and I got one in less than 5 minutes. They love the smell of that stuff.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aww, poor baby! "Go into the trap" vibes coming her way!

I forgot about the KFC...I'm going to have to try that. The boy I caught yesterday is about to go to the vet. Poor thing has burrs in his tail, and mats down to the skin. So he'll get his neuter and a "day of beauty".

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, he had his vet visit today, and came out fine...scared spitless...but fine! He's negative!
While he was under anesthesia for his neuter, they were able to get all the burrs out, and comb out all the mats. I thought for sure they'd have to shave him. They figure he's between 1 and 2 years old, and has also a couple of missing teeth that must have gotten broken at some point, and under all that beautiful long hair, he's actually quite thin, and has numerous cuts (probably from fights in which he got the short end of the stick).

The original plan was to TNR him, but considering the shape he was in, I don't think I have the heart to do that. For those of you who TNR, how do you decide who goes back out? Do you assess each one's personality for possible adoptability, or do you go the efficient route and return all of them? It's horribly inefficient to try to socialize everyone given my limited space (and time...I work full time, and it's just me working with them), in the mean time, the rest of the colony will be merrily procreating out there. However, you could be turning away a kitty who may well turn into someone's cherished pet with a bit of effort. It's a tough decision.

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

but each journey starts with a single step
wonderfully said and I couldnt agree with you more.

how marvellous that you were able to trap this male and get him neutered so quickly - I cant offer advise on the TNR, but I can offer support as you go along

well done you!!

and good luck malynn on trapping that last female - mega vibes coming your way, but your doing a great job!!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks Danielle, support is as important as advice, believe me! I've only worked with feral kittens before, so I have to admit I'm entering this with a bit of trepidation. Briar, Buttercup, & Scout were like feral "starter kits".

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have three new ones here, but I loaned my traps out a few weeks ago, and haven't gotten them back, and so we wait

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The new boy (whose name I have yet to determine) has spent the last two days cowering in a corner of the room. My other two foster kitties have been none too happy about his presence (the corner was Elvis's favorite hiding spot, and he's been plenty po'd that he can't get there). There's been some hissing, alot of "slinking", and very little eating.

I've just been sticking to the schedule...ignoring the "new kid", putting out food, cleaning litter, attempting to play with the foster kids (when they want to), talking the whole time I'm in the room, leaving treats when I leave...basically what I refer to as the "Hissy Method"
Today I noticed the new boy wasn't nearly as flattened down back in his corner, so I was pretty happy about that. I gave treats all around (turkey...it was quite a hit!). Later, when I went to the kitchen to do dishes (their room is right off it, and has a door with a window), I noticed Elvis and Boston were both on the top tier of the cat tree with their ears flattened forward. I peeked in, and the new guy was walking around, and used one of the litter boxes...he caught me looking at him, so I slow blinked, and he slow blinked back!
Now I was really pleased, but it didn't end there. When I walked by later, he was asleep in the litter box right out in the open (plenty of other places to hide/sleep), Elvis was asleep in the lower tube of the cat tree (finally looking relaxed), and Boston was sprawled out on the floor about halfway between the two, and all the wet food dishes have been licked clean!

That's where they all are right now...out in the open...relaxed...asleep...

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nano

Sounds like you are doing a good job!
Thanks, I hope so!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats on trapping one!

I was talking to my friend Cade who lives in a poorer area of Porirua City and he told that they had just trapped a stray cat and taken it in to the SPCA! I tell ya I've never been prouder of any of my friends.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clixpix, you are doing an awesome job! I get a real uplift reading your updates. All of you feral rescuers have my respect, admiration & support vibes. Keep up the good (although I'm sure tiring) efforts!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Congrats on trapping one!

I was talking to my friend Cade who lives in a poorer area of Porirua City and he told that they had just trapped a stray cat and taken it in to the SPCA! I tell ya I've never been prouder of any of my friends.
Yay Cade!

Thanks for the congrats Sam

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsknowme

Clixpix, you are doing an awesome job! I get a real uplift reading your updates. All of you feral rescuers have my respect, admiration & support vibes. Keep up the good (although I'm sure tiring) efforts!
Thanks so much, it is hard work, but the payoff is so much more than that. Thanks for the vibes too, they're much needed and appreciated!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of the women I'm working with called me last night with great news...she thought she trapped the mama cat from last fall, and from her description, it sounded like her! I was thrilled. She thought she was either pregnant, or nursing since she was pretty round, so she was taking her to the emergency clinic to find out (if she was nursing, we needed to release her right away). About an hour later, she was still waiting to be seen. Another hour after that she called..."she" is a "he"

He spent the night in my (stripped down) bathroom. Poor guy had scrapes on his nose (from the trap), and a bloody paw (from trying to get out of the trap). He was neutered this morning, cleaned up, and got an (apparently) necessary flea bath. They had to extract two of his nails where he hurt himself
I have antibiotics that I'm supposed to give him. That should be interesting. I'll McGuyver some method.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We went out today, and tried again to get Nod (pregnant female). Instead? Another boy.

This guy I had seen once last winter, and actually posted somewhere on these boards about him. He's a long haired gray/white, and last winter he took my breath away, he was that beautiful. Now, not so much. I think he's sick. Very sick.
He's so skinny, that he's boney, and much of his fur has fallen out. My suspicions were raised when he laid down in the trap. We had a hard time getting him out of the trap (again, just lying there), and right now he's just lying on the windowsill in my bathroom. Tomorrow we'll get him to the vet to see what's wrong with him, but judging by the difference in him from when I first saw him and now, I have a sick feeling that this is not going to be good news.

Keep a good thought for this sad little man.

And Nod? We saw her as we were leaving. Dang, but that's one smart cat!

Update on the other guy: "Beau" (gray/white short haired male) is doing great! He's been taking his medicine like a good boy (mixed in tuna...yummy), and is becoming bolder by the day, albeit in feral "baby steps". Last night I went in there to read aloud. My two foster boys were running and tumbling around...suddenly they got quiet...too quiet
. I looked over, and Beau was coming out of his "corner", and was climbing into the cat tree tube to get a better view!
I continued reading, and when I was leaving, he stayed put! His paw and nose look much, much better, too!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

You are doing such a wonderful thing...someday Nod will find her way into a trap.

Katie
From your keyboard to God's ear Katie!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

This guy I had seen once last winter, and actually posted somewhere on these boards about him. He's a long haired gray/white, and last winter he took my breath away, he was that beautiful. Now, not so much. I think he's sick. Very sick.
He's so skinny, that he's boney, and much of his fur has fallen out. My suspicions were raised when he laid down in the trap. We had a hard time getting him out of the trap (again, just lying there), and right now he's just lying on the windowsill in my bathroom. Tomorrow we'll get him to the vet to see what's wrong with him, but judging by the difference in him from when I first saw him and now, I have a sick feeling that this is not going to be good news.
He went to the vet today, and...he's fine!
All tests were negative, the scraped the old wound on his back...negative, not at all dehydrated. So they neutered and bathed him. Another coworker of mine who has socialized several feral kitties (really aggressive ones, too), has taken him in!
This docile boy should be a piece of cake for her. She'll keep a good eye on him to make sure he eats and gains weight, if he she thinks he needs another vet visit, we'll do that.

Tomorrow, I'm going after Nod. Now it's personal! I'm going to get that little girl if it's the last thing I do! That little booger is way smarter than me, so I've got something to prove!