And Now - Cryptococcus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaKru

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!! This is my first time posting on the cat site - I'm really hoping I can get some help or hear about others' personal experiences with crypto... It seems to be a pretty rare disease with only basic information available and very few personal experiences!!

Our 5 yo Main Coon, Merlin, ended his 2 year health streak in July when he first got snuffles, he's a suspected FHV (feline herpres virus) carrier, which turned out to be as a result from a pretty serious gall bladder infection, and all this has lead to a cryptococcus infection. He is receiving subcutaneous amphotericin B twice a week (started last Thursday) for the next 6 to 12 weeks.

The only real information I can find is the basic cause, symptoms, diagnoses and treatment - but nothing on what to expect!! Our vet isn't much help either as she has only ever seen one case of crypto - which was in a dog that she had to euthanase as he was to severely infected. So this is as much a learning experience for her as it is for us!

So if there is anyone else who has had the unfortunate luck of seeing their pet through crytpo - I would love to hear your story and insights!!!!

For those who want to read it.. here is Merlin's story:

As a kitten, Merlin had snuffles and is most likely a FHV carrier. So middle of July his eye started tearing - we thought it was due to winter dust. Then the sneezing began - again, we suspected winter allergies. Once his nose started running, I realised we are probably sitting with a new case of snuffles and took him to the vet. For the life of me I could not understand what had triggered it, as usually FHV only flares when the immune system is down - and he was the anything but stressed, injured or sick! After 3 weeks of struggling with a runny nose, sneezing and another trip to the vet, he stopped eating and became pale. On Monday the 20th of August I had him back at the vet - they were worried as the snuffles should have been at an end after all the antibiotics he was on - and he was clearly lethargic and anemic. They did a whole bunch of tests which showed he had a pretty serious gall bladder infection! Needless to say he was immediately admitted, put on a drip, had a feeding tube inserted and put on some serious antibiotics. The gallbladder infection resulted in pretty serious jaundice, and he had got a blood transfusion for the anemia!

After a week in hospital he could finally come home! The anemia, jaundice and infection had subsided, but he was still pretty congested from the snuffles.

Then two days later (30th August) - we were back at the vet. His nose started bleeding when I tried to clean it and his left eye was slightly filled with blood so I decided to rather take him back! He subsequently got put onto antivirals as clearly this was not a bacterial infection anymore, and received antiviral eye drops for the uveitis (blood in the eye) - which is also sometimes caused by FHV. He spent the rest of the week in the isolation ward and finally got discharged on Monday the 4th of September.

Still with a feeding tube inserted, we had to feed him at least 4 times a day as he wasn't the least bit interested in food - but at least it made giving all the medication a breeze!

After 2 weeks of antivirals and syringe feeding, we took the plunge and had his feeding tube removed. By now his weight was down from 6kgs to 5.3kg. The vet said to give it a week for him to start eating as some cats just don't like eating with a tube in place.

Finally, after 3 days and becoming worried that he is never going to eat again - he started eating!!! Not much.. but at least he was pecking at his food which was good enough for me!

Then, two weeks later, on Friday the 6th of October, we returned to the vet. Merlin was still not eating well (his weight further down to 4.8kg), still congested, and had developed a lump across his nose. His left eye (the same one that had uveitis) was also slightly swollen. The vet was immediately worried about the hard mass across his nose and took a fine needle aspiration of the mass to send to a lab for testing. Her thoughts - by the looks of the fluid and lack of a fever, she was very certain it was nasal cancer and not an infection. We were absolutely devastated!!! She would have the results back in the next few days to confirm the diagnosis.

It was a terrible weekend and a long week - I cried often at the thought that I may have to say goodbye to this massive Mr lover pants of mine. I must add, I'm 8 months pregnant so the hormones and emotions are at an ultimate high and the thought of my two boys never meeting each other has me totally crushed!

Wednesday came and my husband phoned to find out if they had received any feedback yet. The vet phoned me back later - she was wrong, its definitely not cancer - it's cryptococcus - and it can be treated!!! I was absolutely ecstatic at the fact that it was not cancer, and that there was at least some hope for a happy ending - but its going to be a long road. Being pregnant and having a baby on the way in less than 3 weeks, the vet suggested we go with subcutaneous injections of amphoteracin B twice a week, rather then giving him tablets - its also a cheaper option.

We completed his second treatment on Monday - it takes about 15 mins for the 400ml solution to be administered under the skin. Besides for the lump on his nose, which is proably causing his breathing difficulties, his left eye is still being slightly swollen and he has a slight nasal discharge (it comes and goes). He also developed sores on his left bum. We initially thought it was from over grooming, but it has since become a hard, crusty mass. Our vet took a fine needle aspiration of it on Monday and immediately recognized it as the same red snotty substance that she took from his nose. We were given clotrimazole cream to put on - it seems as if it's halted the infection slightly, but its probably too early to say.

I'll try keep the thread updated with his progress - his next treatment (and third) is on Friday - so hopefully we'll start seeing an improvement soon!!!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, I was going to refer you to a thread about a cat here on TCS with Crypto, but I see you have already had a discussion with that cat owner, so no need to attach that thread here. But as you are now aware, that cat did great!

Hoping your Merlin has the same outcome, and if nothing else, you now have another medication to adviseyour Vet about, if the one you are using doesn't do the trick.

:vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DaKru

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Many Thanks!! He seems to be a bit more awake, and is slowly starting to eat without us having to entice him - so hopefully its an indicator that the meds are working!!

Yes - my vet is actually aware of the other medication, but we figured it might be easier with a newborn to just quickly take him in twice a week than having to give him pills every 8 to 12 hours. Also, from the bit that I've read, the amphotericin-B seems to be a more aggressive treatment that is usually used in more severe cases (though I don't think he is a sever case, again - information is so hard to come by for what is considered mild or critical!), that its less prone to resistance and it doesn't need to be given for as long as the oral medication, like flucytosine. But we'll see how it goes :) I've also read that flucytosine and amphotericin-B are often used together - but then there are also reports that flucytosine is incredibly expensive and hard to come by in the 3rd world countries (of which South Africa is one unfortunately).

Really wish there were more cases to read about so you can get a better understanding of how (and when) the infection responds.. this waiting game is terrible!!

Last edited:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I know a lady whose cat got that fungal infection-he was on the pills for I think 6 months or so. He was bleeding out of his nose and snuffly stuff going on..they took a sample out of nose sent off and found out fungal infection.

The cream they gave you treats most fungal infections. So yes that is the right thing to use for the bum. I don't have anymore information-she just said pilled him twice a day and it did take quite a while to get it under control. He's an indoor kitty so no clue how he got it.

I hope you find some more info and hoping others who dealt with fungal infections speak up.

I also wonder if the diet has too many carbs-is it possible the sugar in diet isn't helping? What are you feeding? Also just want to note-not all cats will eat better food and not all of us can afford it...I was just thinking maybe diet has something to do with it. I would focus on a high quality protein food-you can feed it once a day and the rest of the time eat what he's normally eating..this is what I did for my prior cat. She refused better food-I mixed it 50/50. It was the only way to get her to eat better kibble..and she hated wet food..just a suggestion...maybe it's not related..

DaKru

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Foxxycat I take it her cat was "cured" in the end? Glad it ended well!!! I'm starting to think there are so few cases available to read because treatment is so freaking expensive.. Many owners just can't afford it! Or at least that's the case in my country..

As for the food - that's a very valid question. He generally is on a mixed diet of vet grade kibble (he's a kibble junkie unfortunately), soft food and whatever raw meat I'm preparing for dinner - you couldn't handle meat - be it chicken, beef or lamb - without him wanting to some!!! But since his first hospitalisation with the gall bladder infection he was syringe fed hills a/d through the tube - until his tube was removed just short of a month ago. Since then he refuses to eat anything but kibble - no meat, no soft food.

I'm not sure what the fungi lives off of or if it strives on higher sugar levels - think I'll do some googling on it!! But that's a very interesting thought nonetheless.. It may just make treating the fungi ore difficult?

Thanks for your input!!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It took a LONG time to get it under control..I think 6 months if I remember...I have to read back on her facebook...She lives in the next state from me...I have cats who only eat kibble too. one is 14..no worries..best diet is One they will EAT.

DaKru

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So things took a turn for the worse on Friday :( after his 3rd treatment with amphotericin, he stopped eating, we also had to help him to get to his sandbox. Saturday was even worse and he was literally not walking at all, and still not eating.

We realised on Sunday that we may be at the end of the road and took him back to the vet. She immediately put him in the floor and told us his symptoms are clearly neurological - meaning the crypto has spread to his central nervous system, but that they would do some blood tests to ensure that it wasn't the organs failing due to the medication his blood results came back and looked good, so the only logical reasoning was that the crypto had now spread to the CNS - for which treatment is the same as what we are already doing.

Unfortunately, they vet phoned us at 2 in the morning to let us know that he had had a seizure and his heart stopped - they got him back but had to have him on a ventilator as his lungs were failing. We rushed to the vet to say our goodbyes and I got to hold him one last time. We couldn't bear to have him on machines or have him struggle any further - he was but a shadow of the magnificent cat that he was just 2 months prior.

Cryptococcus really is a serious and deadly disease that I wish upon no-one and wish I could've saved my boy from

20170105_190006.jpg

Rest in peace my boy ❤❤❤❤ thank you for letting us love you for the short 5 years you spent in this world!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh no I am so very sorry!! I am crying with you. How sad. Maybe there was something else going on. Hard to say..hard to say goodbye for sure. He is very beautiful and I know there's a hole in your heart right now.

Run free at the Bridge Merlin. :rbheart: You will be missed. :hugs:

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry you lost your beautiful Merlin. How awful and it happened so quickly. You did what you could for him, this was just beyond your control. I hope you know that you did your best for your beautiful boy. What a nasty condition this crypto is.

Status
Not open for further replies.