Top Cat
Purraise
ohh wow that looks so pretty!
i have to prepare my tour now! because its my turn tomorrow

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's so beautiful! I like the way they paint their buildings,too! I can't believe how pretty the mountain water is. It's so clear. If it's clear where I live, you can just see the bottom which is brown sand or brown rock . It's never blue like that.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Serbs, Croats and Moslems lived here together in peace, though in the main the East side of the river was Moslem and the West side Croat. The last war stirred up hatreds and the 15th century bridge that gave the town its name (Stari most = old bridge) was blown up in 1991 by Croat forces besieging the town. The bridge was finally restored last year, amidst much celebration, although there is still much to do, both to repair the town and to heal peopleâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s souls of hate.
There are many restaurants and cafes overlooking the river and I suggest we have a rest before going to look at the old town.

As Mostar is near the sea the seafood is always good. There is a special dish of eel stew cooked in the Dalmatian way, or you could have trout from the many local fish farms.

I suggest the fried cheese doughnuts for vegetarians, with a tomato salad. Excellent wine is grown in the hot Mediterranean climate of Herzegovina.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Houses cling to the sides of the river banks

All the area round the old bridge has been rebuilt in the last few years. There are fountains, courtyards, shady alleys and of course souvenir shops. The lace work is hand made and not expensive – around $5 will buy you a tablecloth.

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As Mostar is near the sea the seafood is always good. There is a special dish of eel stew cooked in the Dalmatian way, or you could have trout from the many local fish farms.

I think I will take the trout.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The most famous sight in Mostar is of course the huge old bridge, just reopened last year. From this bridge it is a tradition for boys of hte town to dive off into the river below. It is terrifying to see, yet no-one ever gets hurt.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Plitvice is incredibly beautiful. I have been there, but it is about a four hour drive to the Northwest of me. You have to remember that there are no motorways and to get anywhere you must drive across mountains!

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I am sooo jealous. I'm thinking about buying a videotape because I was so taken with the special they did on it. They said you still had to be careful of landmines there.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like I said earlier, you have to be careful of landmines everywhere. But at Plitvice they have built very good wooden paths and causeways around the lakes and waterfalls, and if you stick to those you are safe. But people and animals get killed every year by mines.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mostar gets very hot in summer so people grow lots of vines for shade. And most reatuarant courtyards are green with leaves and flowers. It has a very mediterranean climate, and unlike Sarajevo, gets no snow in winter.

Ruins are a sad reminder of the war.

Mostar is still a divided city, though education is now being integrated between Croats and Moslems, and young people are getting together more and more. Last year there was a Mayor elected for the whole city for the first time. The city is trying to attract more tourists now, and there are lots of things to do in the area. One popular holiday is white water rafting down the Neretva gorges. Anyone want a go?

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
JAsper, your nose wouldn't be sore if you hadn't aggravated that swan in the park.

Wonderful info, Jenny! I will admit knowing very little about the area apart from the news reports in the 90s. I do recall hearing about the Mostar bridge and it's destruction - and how the locals were using whatever they could get to repair it to some extent so people could cross.

Jasper would like to try the white water rafting. No, you will not want to wear your thong. First, we will check the lace makers. What's that, Jasper? Okay, we;ll ask if they make lace thongs.
:

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Forgot to mention - what a lovely area your house is in! sSuch pretty views. No wonder the girls like going out to catch critters!

Jasper, are you sure you'd want to wear a lace thong? Oh, you want to buy a few as gifts for your girlfriends.
You, lech, you...

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rigel's still asleep? That's it! No more tequila or the local plum drink!

Okay, kitties! Everybody bounce on Uncle Rigel!!

Status
Not open for further replies.