Anchovies instead of salmon oil?

nicolelb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good afternoon everyone.  As stated in the title, can anchovies be given over using a salmon oil supplement?  And if so, how much/often do you give it to them?  I make my batches without using oil because as I understand the oil needs to be fresh.  If anchovies is a good alternative I'd prefer using that.  I tried doing a forum search, but I couldnt come up with a definite answer.  My kitten is 4 months old.  Thanks everyone!  :)

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you planning on mixing the anchovies into your batches or supplementing with it separately? From your other post, it looks like you are using Alnutrin to balance the raw. If you want to use oil, you can use a high quality salmon or krill oil in capsules. That way you can use a fresh capsule a day on top of the raw food and not worry about the freshness. You can also use canned or pouched small fish like sardines or anchovies if you can find them in spring water only, no salt. People using fish usually supplement once a week with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nicolelb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, thank you for your response.  Yes, I'm curious if I can give anchovies for the required omega he needs instead of squirting salmon oil on his food once a day.  Not mixed into the batch but separetly as a treat type thing.  So if Im understanding correctly, once a week I can give him an anchovy fillet and it'll work the same as if I was giving salmon oil on a daily basis? 

The reason I ask is I only have just the 1 cat so if i was to do the salmon oil I'd be wasting half the capsules.  From what I gathered the dosage is 500mg daily, and it degrades quickly after being exposed to the elements so I couldn't saved the unused half for the next day.  Thanks for your insight

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anchovies are almost always salted/cured. Sardines are usually easier to find unsalted, and are an excellent source of omega 3 oils. I guess anchovies are high in oils as well but I really don't know if you'd be able to find any unsalted.