Anal Prolapse and dirty butt.

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
Chloe is 4 years old and we adopted her when she was 9 months old, and on our way to pick her up we found out she had an anal prolapse but we still went with the adoption. So before we adopted her, he has a surgery called “purse string” but it wasn’t 100% effective. and when we got her we took her to the vet and about 3 years ago decided to go with a more serious surgery to get her butt back in place. i recently noticed that her butt is sticking out a little bit again, we are taking her to a new vet soon. i feel like our previous vet isn’t really helping us anymore. and i’m actually upset that before we did the surgery we didn’t go for a third opinion but at the time they seemed like a perfect vet compared to the one we went the first time with her. but the problem is that she doesn’t clean her butt, or anything around it and sometimes poop just falls out of her as if she doesn’t even feel it.
for the butt cleaning,
we can’t bathe her, we tried so many times but i end up feeling so bad for her to put her through all that stress that i just give up (our cat is very skittish) and i sit in the bathroom with her for an hour trying to clean her with a damp cloth. it takes me that long because i take breaks in between and sit with her and pet her. but sometimes i don’t notice the dirty butt right away, especially if it happens while i am sleeping.
so now, we are thinking of trying to trim her around her butt, i just ordered a cat groomer kit and trim her every time her hairs gets a little bit of longer so it doesn’t get on it.

i just don’t know what to do anymore, it’s a little bit annoying that her butt is dirty so often.

Anyone else has/had a cat with anal prolapse ?
Any tips on how to clean her butt ?

Sorry if my post is all over the place, i tend to go in circles sometimes.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen it on many humans, but not cats. If you see it sticking out, ask the vet to show you, put on gloves, and using a finger, gently manipulate it back in. That's what we did with the humans. As for cleaning her butt, it may be easier with a cat wipe, when she is on your lap,m or have someone else scruff here (take her by the loose skin on the back of the neck and hold her down) and then quickly wipe her down. A really wet, warm washcloth works well. Be careful, you don't want to 'scrub' and rub her anal opening raw. The easiest way I trim my cat's behind is to have the vet do it, mine only charges 10.00, and then an office visit. you might ask the next time you bring her in. Cats are usually scared at the vets and are very docile.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've seen it on many humans, but not cats. If you see it sticking out, ask the vet to show you, put on gloves, and using a finger, gently manipulate it back in. That's what we did with the humans. As for cleaning her butt, it may be easier with a cat wipe, when she is on your lap,m or have someone else scruff here (take her by the loose skin on the back of the neck and hold her down) and then quickly wipe her down. A really wet, warm washcloth works well. Be careful, you don't want to 'scrub' and rub her anal opening raw. The easiest way I trim my cat's behind is to have the vet do it, mine only charges 10.00, and then an office visit. you might ask the next time you bring her in. Cats are usually scared at the vets and are very docile.
when it comes to it sticking out, it doesn’t happen often and it goes back in by itself. like this is maybe the third time in the three years since her surgery that i noticed it sticking out a bit, and it’s really a tiny amount. but i’m surprised it’s sticking out because she had the surgery for it. so yeah, i wanna ask him questions about that. but my biggest concern is the dirty butt, i want to ask him to trim it but then i don’t wanna depend on having it trimmed by having to go somewhere to do it. as for the wipes, we got them before but they didn’t seem so effective, so i prefer the warm cloths, and i don’t rub her anus because i know it’s sensitive, i just rub lightly around it on the fur. i was just wondering if there’s a way to do it quicker and for me to do it by myself, and maybe establish a routine for her that she need her butt cleaned everyday just to be sure it’s clean.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have had to do a certain amount of this with dogs and cats and never found a really quick way to get it done, especially if there is soreness or other issues in that area. If you are skilled with trimming her rear end, that is great. I am not and always had the vet do a sanitary clip. It is not like a weekly thing and they have enough hands on deck and skill to make sure that it is done easily for everyone. Will she let you hold a warm damp washcloth on her rear end long enough for the matter to soften? Or that is what you are doing already?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are creatures of habit. When you clean her rear end enough, she will get used to it. When I had to clean my cat's eyes, he fought it so much, and then in about a week or two got used to it and I washed them easily. You might just want to set up a routine.

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have had to do a certain amount of this with dogs and cats and never found a really quick way to get it done, especially if there is soreness or other issues in that area. If you are skilled with trimming her rear end, that is great. I am not and always had the vet do a sanitary clip. It is not like a weekly thing and they have enough hands on deck and skill to make sure that it is done easily for everyone. Will she let you hold a warm damp washcloth on her rear end long enough for the matter to soften? Or that is what you are doing already?
that’s what i am doing already and it takes me a while to do it because i feel like it stresses her out a lot. so i take my time with it

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats are creatures of habit. When you clean her rear end enough, she will get used to it. When I had to clean my cat's eyes, he fought it so much, and then in about a week or two got used to it and I washed them easily. You might just want to set up a routine.
oh that would be amazing, if just every night we can spend like 5-10minutes in the bathroom just to clean her up, she might now even be dirty when i do it but just for her to get used to it. because it’s not like her butt is dirty everyday. it happens sometimes but enough times for me to be annoyed that it’s happening.