anal glands

MyLittleMuffin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Needing some help with my 8 years old kitty. His anals are clogged and keep needing to be expressed also with antibiotic treatment injected into the anals. It seems that every other day, he is uncomfortable. Sometimes he just cries in pain and I scoop him up and run to the vet. What else can I do for him!!!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ask the vet to show you how to express the glands so you can do this at home and avoid a stressful and expensive trip to the vet. It's not hard to do but you may need an extra pair of hands to help hold the cat.

I think there is a surgery the vet can do if the glands continue to be a problem.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. There comes a point in time when the anal glands become so clogged and inflamed that more is needed than just expressing and an antibiotic treatment. I think it sounds like your cat's glands have become impacted, and more than what is being done may be necessary in order to alleviate the problem.

You can learn to express the glands yourself, but before that I would seriously consider a second opinion. Having a recurrence every other day means that the current regimen is not working.
Cats Anal Sac Problems, Cats Anal Gland Problems, Scent Gland Problems in Cats, Anal Sac Impaction (webmd.com)