Anal glands?

bearintheair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I was grooming my cat today. Brushing his belly. All of a sudden he spattered out some brown fluid from his bum. I'm not sure if this is normal. He's on a raw/wet food diet. I brought him to the vet earlier today to take care of his recent eye infection flare up (he has feline herpes). He's a year old. He seems to have normal stool in his litter box. Not runny. I first noticed the anal gland thing a couple of days ago. I picked him up on accident with my arm between his legs and got a bit on my arm. No bloodiness or anything. His butt looks fine. Ideas...?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thwe brown goo could very well be from the anal glands If it's stuper stinky, then it's definitely anal gland secretion
Some cats just leak a little secretion once in awhile. Diet  has nothing to do with it, IMO. My Aby eats raw and has stinky glands that need to be expressed every so often. You can express the glands yourself. Your vet can show you or you can find a YouTube video. It can be messy so do it in the bathroom with the door closed (so your cat won't run off to hide), don't wear your good clothes, and have paper towels handy to clean up any goo that shoots out and to clean up your cat.

livelovepurr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can bring him to your vet and talk to them about it. It does sound like anal glands. If it has a really pungent smell, it most likely is. Anal gland fluid is supposed to be clear-ish, though. When it is brown and chunky, it's staying in the sac for too long and causing infection. Your veterinarian can express the anal gland and start him on a course of antibiotics to help clear the infection.

Anal sacs should express on their own as the animal defecates. Overweight cats tend to have issues with small sac expression, but even healthy sized cats can have the problem. Try adding more fiber to the diet. Canned pumpkin is a good fiber source, or psyllium fiber (Metamucil without any added flavor) can help bulk up feces to aid in natural anal sac expression.

livelovepurr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are typos in there. I really need to proofread before I hit submit when I'm using my phone to type.