Anal gland issue?

mmin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So background, about 2+ months ago my cat had a bout of soft stools. I bought him in to a vet who manually checked his anal glands, told me they were quite full, not impacted or anything, just quite full, so she did a manual anal gland expression. it took awhile before the stools started firming up again.

now, his stools are on-off. At times firm and nice, at times still soft. however, my question is, ever since that anal gland expression, even on days when his poop is nice and firm, his butt would ALWAYS have remaining liquid poop? anal gland secretion? I'm not too sure what it is, but its just confusing cause even when the poop is so wellformed in the litterbox, I know his buttock would have light brown/dark green light stains that I have to physically clean for him every single time after he poops. this was not how it was before the manual expression, or so I don't remember it being like that?? so I'm just wondering if its normal? or if its something I need to be concerned about?

other than that, he is still pooping regularly, peeing, eating well, playing

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are some cats who just have anal gland issues all their lives. You probably should talk to the vet about what you are seeing, and then find out if they want to check his glands again. Not the most pleasant of thoughts, I am sure, but you can be shown how to express his glands on your own - and what to look for to determine if it is necessary.

I personally think there might be an underlying issue, just by very virtue of the intermittent soft stools. So, that is another thing to talk to your vet about.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mmin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m not too keen on that though, cause this whole issue only started AFTER the manual expression done by the vet. Right after the expression, he was leaking for about a day. And then now, right after he poops, its on his butt. He never had this before the expression done by the vet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe he needs more than just an expression. By that I mean, there is infection in the anal glands. A manual expression is not going to cause an issue unto itself, as far as I know. If you don't trust this vet, look for another vet in a different practice, to avoid colleague bias, and have them check him out.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried warm wet compresses on his rectum? I agree with the others that something else is going on but another opinion is probably necessary, preferably by a different provider.

olivemarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did ever discover what was causing this? My cat’s anal gland issues started the same way about a year and half ago and have gotten worse, but I can’t find a vet who is able to diagnose it.