Anaesthesia For Mri: How Safe Is It?

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know there are risks with anaesthesia, which is why I postponed my moggy's MRI to find out the cause of his sudden blindness. I am so torn. The hospital assured me it's very safe and that they have an anaesthesiologist to oversee the entire procedure. He looks happy and contented now despite his blindness... should I just let it be? I really have no idea what to do.

Libby.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It depends on the age and health of the cat as well as the form of anesthesia. What does your vet say? Will the cat be intubated and given a gas or an injection?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It depends on the age and health of the cat as well as the form of anesthesia. What does your vet say? Will the cat be intubated and given a gas or an injection?
My cat is estimated to be 12, although we aren't really sure since he was a stray. He has controlled Stage 1 CKD. I don't know if he'll be given a gas or an injection... which is safer?

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Although i dont have a direct answer for this, remember that cats hide their illness and pain very well. I never knew my kitty had HCM until he went into heart failure....
Sending you prayers and happy thoughts

Libby.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is estimated to be 12, although we aren't really sure since he was a stray. He has controlled Stage 1 CKD. I don't know if he'll be given a gas or an injection... which is safer?
The vet would be the one to ask. I'm sorry your kitty isn't feeling well. I hope you find the answer.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know there are risks with anaesthesia, which is why I postponed my moggy's MRI to find out the cause of his sudden blindness. I am so torn. The hospital assured me it's very safe and that they have an anaesthesiologist to oversee the entire procedure. He looks happy and contented now despite his blindness... should I just let it be? I really have no idea what to do.
I answered your other question yesterday and will repeat I understand your anxiety. I have anxiety disorder. I also need to remind this to myself sometimes: the lack of taking a medical action is a medical action.

There is nothing in life that is risk-free. Including no operation. NOT having an operation also has their risks.

Ask yourself this: if you mysteriously went blind and wasn't in a place to speak for yourself, would you want your family to follow the doctor's advise or would you want them to postpone it and take time to ask strangers online who are not medical professionals?

EDIT: And note I tend to get skeptical about vets too. But in cases like yours if you need a second opinion, that should be taken from another vet.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel like a really horrible pet owner. I feel guilty and lousy for postponing the MRI, and I also know that if I went ahead with the MRI and anything went wrong, I'd feel guilty and lousy too.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like a really horrible pet owner. I feel guilty and lousy for postponing the MRI, and I also know that if I went ahead with the MRI and anything went wrong, I'd feel guilty and lousy too.
You're not a bad pet owner! You are just in a difficult position right now and want the best for your cat. That's not the quality of a bad pet owner!

Just don't let your anxieties take the decisions. And please don't feel like you can control everything that everything would be your fault if it went wrong. That's something I constantly need to remind myself too.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your moggie knows you love him and that all your decisions come from love, even the no decisions. Your vet knows you love your moggie. Can you make an appointment with the vet to speak to him, in his office, without your moggie there so you will be more at ease? Make a list of every thing you can think of to talk about before you go.

You are not perfect, no one is. You can not do the impossible. Things have been very difficult for you and your moggie. You are getting exhausted, take time to just sit and not think. Sit near your moggie.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
When my GSD had his leg amputated due to melanoma, or I should say when he was dxed, I went to a really nutty place in my mind. I was terrified that he would die from anesthesia since he is old and had other conditions so I thought that if he died of melanoma it would take longer and I would not end up being responsible for his demise on the day of the surgery....that kind of thinking that can really take you down the rabbit hole. Like, I know, he can die a slow painful death rather than me being at least medically proactive and that will be much better. I did take him to a specialty hospital as I alluded to elsewhere...or I should say his vet referred me, set up the appointment and said to make sure that I went. He did fine and is alive two years later, minus one leg.