An open letter to cat food companies

photogirl843

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dear cat food companies,

If I had my way, I would pass a law that requires you to list on the label in BOLD letters that your food contains fish. I have been looking for a new food for my 3 boys, and because of cystitis with one of them, I cannot use foods with fish for any length of time. Lately it feels like every time I find a food that has promise, I read the label and what do you know - tuna, cod, salmon, etc. Never mind that the label on the front says "Chicken and Turkey," or some other combination of meats, with no mention of fish anywhere that is obvious. 

This has been such a frustration for me lately. I have passed over foods that seem to be really nice overall, all because you decide that every cat food on the market needs some form of fish in it. Seriously. Stop.

Thanks, 

Kim

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Dear cat food companies,

If I had my way, I would pass a law that requires you to list on the label in BOLD letters that your food contains fish. I have been looking for a new food for my 3 boys, and because of cystitis with one of them, I cannot use foods with fish for any length of time. Lately it feels like every time I find a food that has promise, I read the label and what do you know - tuna, cod, salmon, etc. Never mind that the label on the front says "Chicken and Turkey," or some other combination of meats, with no mention of fish anywhere that is obvious. 

This has been such a frustration for me lately. I have passed over foods that seem to be really nice overall, all because you decide that every cat food on the market needs some form of fish in it. Seriously. Stop.

Thanks, 

Kim

I hate that too. Soulistic does this so I stick to the Good Karma and Harvest Sunrise. 

dorothyv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've actually been having a similar problem, but in reverse.

I'm looking for wet, non-pate cat foods with no poultry (i.e., chicken or turkey) since I am considering adopting a cat who is allergic to chicken and turkey, and the 1 cat I currently own won't eat pate.

So many products labeled as salmon, tuna, other seafood, rabbit, duck, lamb, etc. end up containing chicken broth or regular chicken in the ingredient list.  

It's been very frustrating.  

I've found some good seafood wet, non-pate foods with no poultry, but I've struck out so far on rabbit/duck/lamb products.  

marypetlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is frustrating to me as well. They should have to clearly label what they put in their food I hate how they get away with it.