An older gentleman with some unfortunate habits

Joxer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 16 year old neutered male cat, Casper, is mostly a great guy to have around, but he has a few bad habits that have gotten worse with time. He marks territory the old-fashioned way, with a healthy spray of urine on vertical surfaces. For about 2/3 of the year, it's reasonably warm, and he does most of this outside. For the other 1/3 of the year (now), he mostly declines to go outside, and does his territory marking indoors instead. This is not fun to deal with. He usually sprays late at night, when he's most alert but I would like to go to bed. It's the same four spots (walls and other vertical surfaces), usually one or two of them every day.

On the recommendation of Casper's vet, I tried Feliway. It had no effect whatsoever. I keep the litter box very clean. The problem is not incontinence or dementia; Casper knows where the litterbox is, it is very large and easily accessible, and he poops in it. Sometimes he pees in it. When he pees in the litterbox, he pees downward into the litter. When he pees to mark territory, he pees horizontally onto vertical surfaces. It is a very different behavior.

Casper originally lived with his brother Schatzy and sister Xena. I adopted the three of them as kittens. Schatzy passed away in March 2022, and Xena died last month. I have one other cat, an unrelated spayed female Maine Coon named Lindsey, who is probably about 8 years old. I adopted her from a highway rest area where she had been abandoned, so I do not know much about her early years. Casper goes outside whenever the weather is bearable (no heavy rain or snow; ~25 degrees or warmer). There are no other cats in the neighborhood, though a number of leashed dogs come by the house each day. I have security cameras, and so far as I have seen, none of these dogs have threatened Casper, though a few of them sometimes barked at Xena.

Casper's other bad habit is rolling in the litter box. This is exclusively a winter activity. When the weather is warmer, Casper sometimes rolls in the dirt outside. When it is cold outside and the ground is frozen, Casper rolls in the litter box. This seems to be a replacement for rolling in the dirt. It is not great for our relationship. Even though he only rolls in the litterbox when it is "clean" (no poop or urine clumps), he gets covered in clay dust and little pieces of litter. Then he wants to jump in my lap or be carried around, and I am reluctant, because I do not want kitty litter dust all over my clothes.

I am asking for any advice on how to deal with these issues. Both seem to be psychological. I have read that male cats spray (mark territory) when they feel threatened or challenged, but I removed all the threats from Casper's life that I can. I cannot stop people from walking dogs down the sidewalk in front of my house. Casper may feel a little anxious around Lindsey. Or he may be in love with her. Maybe both. It is hard to tell. She is female, so presumably not threatening his territory in a male vs male sort of way, but she is larger than him, and very boisterous. They do a lot of what seems like playing; chasing each other around the house and setting up ambushes for each other around corners and under furniture. I think that Lindsey is more often than not the "attacker" in these scenarios, but they look to be more like play than fighting. There is no hissing or growling, and neither cat is ever hurt. I do not want to put Casper on any psychotropic drugs, as I have never known these to do any good for animals (or people, for that matter). However, if there are ways that I can improve his environment so that he feels more secure, I am happy to do so.

Stormy accepts you

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 16 year old neutered male cat, Casper, is mostly a great guy to have around, but he has a few bad habits that have gotten worse with time. He marks territory the old-fashioned way, with a healthy spray of urine on vertical surfaces. For about 2/3 of the year, it's reasonably warm, and he does most of this outside. For the other 1/3 of the year (now), he mostly declines to go outside, and does his territory marking indoors instead. This is not fun to deal with. He usually sprays late at night, when he's most alert but I would like to go to bed. It's the same four spots (walls and other vertical surfaces), usually one or two of them every day.

On the recommendation of Casper's vet, I tried Feliway. It had no effect whatsoever. I keep the litter box very clean. The problem is not incontinence or dementia; Casper knows where the litterbox is, it is very large and easily accessible, and he poops in it. Sometimes he pees in it. When he pees in the litterbox, he pees downward into the litter. When he pees to mark territory, he pees horizontally onto vertical surfaces. It is a very different behavior.

Casper originally lived with his brother Schatzy and sister Xena. I adopted the three of them as kittens. Schatzy passed away in March 2022, and Xena died last month. I have one other cat, an unrelated spayed female Maine Coon named Lindsey, who is probably about 8 years old. I adopted her from a highway rest area where she had been abandoned, so I do not know much about her early years. Casper goes outside whenever the weather is bearable (no heavy rain or snow; ~25 degrees or warmer). There are no other cats in the neighborhood, though a number of leashed dogs come by the house each day. I have security cameras, and so far as I have seen, none of these dogs have threatened Casper, though a few of them sometimes barked at Xena.

Casper's other bad habit is rolling in the litter box. This is exclusively a winter activity. When the weather is warmer, Casper sometimes rolls in the dirt outside. When it is cold outside and the ground is frozen, Casper rolls in the litter box. This seems to be a replacement for rolling in the dirt. It is not great for our relationship. Even though he only rolls in the litterbox when it is "clean" (no poop or urine clumps), he gets covered in clay dust and little pieces of litter. Then he wants to jump in my lap or be carried around, and I am reluctant, because I do not want kitty litter dust all over my clothes.

I am asking for any advice on how to deal with these issues. Both seem to be psychological. I have read that male cats spray (mark territory) when they feel threatened or challenged, but I removed all the threats from Casper's life that I can. I cannot stop people from walking dogs down the sidewalk in front of my house. Casper may feel a little anxious around Lindsey. Or he may be in love with her. Maybe both. It is hard to tell. She is female, so presumably not threatening his territory in a male vs male sort of way, but she is larger than him, and very boisterous. They do a lot of what seems like playing; chasing each other around the house and setting up ambushes for each other around corners and under furniture. I think that Lindsey is more often than not the "attacker" in these scenarios, but they look to be more like play than fighting. There is no hissing or growling, and neither cat is ever hurt. I do not want to put Casper on any psychotropic drugs, as I have never known these to do any good for animals (or people, for that matter). However, if there are ways that I can improve his environment so that he feels more secure, I am happy to do so.
Are your cats fixed? An unfixed male will mark EVERYWHERE. It’s his way of saying “I live here. This is mine. This too. Also that.” If they’re both not fixed, he could, quite possibly, be trying to get some, if you know what I mean.

Stormy accepts you

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are your cats fixed? An unfixed male will mark EVERYWHERE. It’s his way of saying “I live here. This is mine. This too. Also that.” If they’re both not fixed, he could, quite possibly, be trying to get some, if you know what I mean.
Oops, never mind, sorry. He could just be trying to say “This is MY house.” You may have adopted an absolute alpha male.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It sounds like an old-standing habit that is now an issue with you because he does it inside. I take it that Casper mostly did not do this inside the house when he was younger because he was probably outside more of the time than he prefers to be now. It may have started way back when as a fear or territorial response when he was outside, but it is now simply a habit. It is a matter of him being set in his ways. Old habits die hard, if they ever die at all.

Short of using enzymatic cleaners on those areas where he sprays to remove his scent and hopefully help deter him from doing it again, I am not sure there is much you can do. Since he consistently sprays the same areas, you could tape puppy pee pads on the vertical surfaces to catch the urine, and then toss them and replace them with new ones. If he sprays enough for the urine to collect on the floor beneath the vertical surfaces, those areas will also need to be thoroughly cleaned too, and perhaps place another set of pee pads, or washable mats, on the floor.

You could use belly bands on him, which are intended to catch urine, typically used for cats/dogs who are incontinent - or, possibly do what your cat is doing. That probably would require occasionally cleaning his privates to get rid of urine collected in his fur, and prevent irritation to his skin from the urine. When he goes outside, you could remove the belly band if you wanted to. Belly bands do not prohibit a cat from using a litter box to poop. Belly bands are primarily made for dogs, but some of the smallest ones they have will fit some cats.

Otherwise, he could be kept in a relatively empty bathroom overnight so that the rest of your home is mostly unaffected.

The same thing applies about the litter too - a habit that probably cannot be undone, as it is reinforced every time he does go outside and rolls around in the yard. Apparently, another long standing habit.

If Lindsey has been around for some number of years, she is probably not contributing to his habits. His other siblings who have passed away (my condolences) could have exacerbated his behavior a bit, but they too are not the cause if Casper has been doing this for years.

Lastly, he could have some sort of hormonal issue that causes this behavior, although I don't know how likely that is. But, you could talk to a vet about this aspect to see if there is any testing that could be done to see.

I hope others come along soon with some better ideas.
How To Remove Cat Urine [Step By Step Guide] - TheCatSite
Amazon.com : Pet Soft Dog Belly Band - 3 Packs Reusable Dog Diapers Male|Male Dog Diapers Belly Wraps - Washable Dog Belly Bands for Male Dogs(XS, Army) : Pet Supplies

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Joxer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oops, never mind, sorry. He could just be trying to say “This is MY house.” You may have adopted an absolute alpha male.
Casper is definitely an alpha male. He was affectionate toward both his siblings, but years ago, when there were other outdoor cats in the neighborhood, Casper let them know their place. Actual wounds were rare, but there were a lot of scuffles.

No one is challenging his authority at this point, except maybe Lindsey. I don't think she means to threaten him. She's just much bigger (a Maine Coon) and half his age. She has a lot of energy, and loves to chase (and be chased).

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Then he wants to jump in my lap or be carried around, and I am reluctant, because I do not want kitty litter dust all over my clothes.
For this one, how about a grooming session. That will help you both, --you won't have dust all over you, and he'll have some attention:)

Joxer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For this one, how about a grooming session. That will help you both, --you won't have dust all over you, and he'll have some attention:)
After his rolling escapades, I "groom" Casper with slightly damp paper towels. Then I give him all the love he wants. The funny thing is that he's otherwise a very clean cat. In the summer, he'll roll around in the dirt under some evergreen bushes in front of the house, then lick the dirt off. By the time he comes inside, he usually looks and feels clean. It doesn't make any sense to me. But I'm not a cat.

Stormy accepts you

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
After his rolling escapades, I "groom" Casper with slightly damp paper towels. Then I give him all the love he wants. The funny thing is that he's otherwise a very clean cat. In the summer, he'll roll around in the dirt under some evergreen bushes in front of the house, then lick the dirt off. By the time he comes inside, he usually looks and feels clean. It doesn't make any sense to me. But I'm not a cat.
Cats are truly strange, mystical creatures. When they’re not licking their butts or shoving their butt in your face like “Oh, are you upset? This might help! Look at my butt!“, they’re leaving us wondering how the heckers they got into that tiny box in THAT position.

Joxer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats are truly strange, mystical creatures. When they’re not licking their butts or shoving their butt in your face like “Oh, are you upset? This might help! Look at my butt!“, they’re leaving us wondering how the heckers they got into that tiny box in THAT position.
I once had a few dozen small boxes stacked around a table so that there was a vertical space in the middle of them, just wide enough for a cat to drop into it head first, but not wide enough for a cat to turn around and climb back out. So of course Casper dove head first into that enticing dark space, and briefly looked ridiculous standing on his head with his back feet and tail sticking straight up out of the hole, before I hauled him out of there. He was very athletic as a youngster, and got himself into all kinds of trouble.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did you miss my post or just didn't agree with what I had to offer? It's OK if you didn't, I was just curious.
Hi. It sounds like an old-standing habit that is now an issue with you because he does it inside. I take it that Casper mostly did not do this inside the house when he was younger because he was probably outside more of the time than he prefers to be now. It may have started way back when as a fear or territorial response when he was outside, but it is now simply a habit. It is a matter of him being set in his ways. Old habits die hard, if they ever die at all.

Short of using enzymatic cleaners on those areas where he sprays to remove his scent and hopefully help deter him from doing it again, I am not sure there is much you can do. Since he consistently sprays the same areas, you could tape puppy pee pads on the vertical surfaces to catch the urine, and then toss them and replace them with new ones. If he sprays enough for the urine to collect on the floor beneath the vertical surfaces, those areas will also need to be thoroughly cleaned too, and perhaps place another set of pee pads, or washable mats, on the floor.

You could use belly bands on him, which are intended to catch urine, typically used for cats/dogs who are incontinent - or, possibly do what your cat is doing. That probably would require occasionally cleaning his privates to get rid of urine collected in his fur, and prevent irritation to his skin from the urine. When he goes outside, you could remove the belly band if you wanted to. Belly bands do not prohibit a cat from using a litter box to poop. Belly bands are primarily made for dogs, but some of the smallest ones they have will fit some cats.

Otherwise, he could be kept in a relatively empty bathroom overnight so that the rest of your home is mostly unaffected.

The same thing applies about the litter too - a habit that probably cannot be undone, as it is reinforced every time he does go outside and rolls around in the yard. Apparently, another long standing habit.

If Lindsey has been around for some number of years, she is probably not contributing to his habits. His other siblings who have passed away (my condolences) could have exacerbated his behavior a bit, but they too are not the cause if Casper has been doing this for years.

Lastly, he could have some sort of hormonal issue that causes this behavior, although I don't know how likely that is. But, you could talk to a vet about this aspect to see if there is any testing that could be done to see.

I hope others come along soon with some better ideas.
How To Remove Cat Urine [Step By Step Guide] - TheCatSite
Amazon.com : Pet Soft Dog Belly Band - 3 Packs Reusable Dog Diapers Male|Male Dog Diapers Belly Wraps - Washable Dog Belly Bands for Male Dogs(XS, Army) : Pet Supplies

Stormy accepts you

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I once had a few dozen small boxes stacked around a table so that there was a vertical space in the middle of them, just wide enough for a cat to drop into it head first, but not wide enough for a cat to turn around and climb back out. So of course Casper dove head first into that enticing dark space, and briefly looked ridiculous standing on his head with his back feet and tail sticking straight up out of the hole, before I hauled him out of there. He was very athletic as a youngster, and got himself into all kinds of trouble.
Bella got herself stuck behind my sisters television once. Yesterday, actually. Have you ever encountered a banshee?

Joxer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did you miss my post or just didn't agree with what I had to offer? It's OK if you didn't, I was just curious.
Sorry about that. I appreciate the suggestions. I have tried various cleaners, including enzymatic cleaners, in hope of removing the urine scent from Casper's favorite spraying spots so that he wouldn't keep being reminded of his past exploits. However, none of them seemed to work better than plain water in dealing with urine, and I try to use as few chemicals as possible, even if they're safer products. To some extent, if he's going to spray, I'd actually prefer that he spray the same spots every time. Then I don't have to guess where the urine smell is coming from!

I had not heard of belly bands, but I expect that Casper would hate those, and I would still have to clean urine out of something. The only good thing about Casper's spraying is that his favorite spots are all hard surfaces above hardwood floors; he isn't spraying carpet or fabrics, which would make clean up much harder.

I would not want to lock him up overnight. I do that very briefly when I need to get something out of the attic or basement, because otherwise he will get himself into trouble in those places, but he hates it and screams the whole time.

An example of trouble: I have a dryer in my basement. I almost never used it, but it worked until I adopted Casper. He chose the front of the dryer as one of his favorite spraying spots, and sprayed it so regularly that his urine ate away the paint and rusted the underlying metal, ultimately eating into something electrical so that one day I turned on the dryer and it spewed smoke and sparks from where he had sprayed it, until I switched off the circuit breaker (that breaker has stayed off ever since). After that experience, I banned Casper from the basement. I don't want my furnace or water heater to meet the same fate as my dryer.

Hormonal testing is an interesting idea. I'm not sure what I'd do about it if he did turn out to have too much testosterone or something like that, but I can talk to his vet about it. He just had an appointment and extensive bloodwork to see if his T4 might be elevated (he's had hyperthyroidism since he was 10, treated with varying doses of Methimazole).

I suspect that he is grieving. I don't see how he couldn't be. He's lost his entire feline family over the past two years. He was closer to his brother than to his sister, but he loved them both.

If you have ideas for ways that I could comfort him, I'd love to hear them. I'm doing the obvious -- spending more time with him and keeping his toys filled with fresh catnip -- but he's become a lot more vocal than he used to be. He always seems to be upset about something, and while holding and petting him calms him down, I can't do that all the time. Sadly, the weather is awful right now, so letting off steam outside is not an option.

Casper plays with Lindsey -- at least I think they're playing -- but I think that he's still not entirely comfortable around her. She's been with us for two years, but while Xena was alive, she intimidated Lindsey to such an extent (strange considering that Lindsey weighed twice as much and was half her age, but Xena had a very forceful personality) that Lindsey mostly kept to herself (and me), avoiding my other cats.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think you're onto something with missing his friends who have passed and Lindsey being younger, stronger, and more boisterous. Have you noticed ANY scenarios where Lindsey is stalking him or ambushing him while he's in, or just coming out of, the litter box?
My guess is he's feeling a little insecure. Does he have a space that Lindsey does not have access to?
On top of the enzymatic cleaner, Nature's Miracle has a product that helps prevent them from re-spraying or marking in the same area.
This is probably a stupid suggestion, but, if you offered Casper a big box with just a little bit of dirt on the bottom, do you think he'd take to rolling in that instead of the dusty litter? It sounds like he enjoys a roll in the dirt (most cats do if given the opportunity). This might not cut down on the mess, but it would be better if he ingested some dirt vs. litter.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did I misunderstand something? I got the impression that Casper was spraying long before the loss of his siblings. And that the inside spraying has been occurring primarily because he doesn't want to go outside as much. If not, please let us know, as that changes things a bit.

Vocalization in older cats is often a sign of pain, dementia, loss of hearing - those kinds of things. While any or all of those may be going on with Casper, I am not sure they play a role in the spraying IF it has been going on as long as I got the impression it has. And, if he is experiencing some grief, unless you say otherwise, it is not going to stop the spraying once he has gotten over his grief.

If the timeline I have gathered in my head is not accurate, please let me know.

I do wonder about a litter box with soil as mentioned above might help, not just with the rolling around, but maybe with the peeing as well.

Joxer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did I misunderstand something? I got the impression that Casper was spraying long before the loss of his siblings. And that the inside spraying has been occurring primarily because he doesn't want to go outside as much. If not, please let us know, as that changes things a bit.

Vocalization in older cats is often a sign of pain, dementia, loss of hearing - those kinds of things. While any or all of those may be going on with Casper, I am not sure they play a role in the spraying IF it has been going on as long as I got the impression it has. And, if he is experiencing some grief, unless you say otherwise, it is not going to stop the spraying once he has gotten over his grief.

If the timeline I have gathered in my head is not accurate, please let me know.

I do wonder about a litter box with soil as mentioned above might help, not just with the rolling around, but maybe with the peeing as well.
No, you didn't misunderstand. Casper has sprayed off and on for most of his life (1+ years old). He has also rolled in the litter box for most of that time. Both behaviors are far more common in the winter, when he doesn't want to go outside. I also feel like the frequency of these behaviors is higher since his siblings passed away. Certainly his vocalizing is much increased since Xena died. I think that even the later stages of her illness were very stressful for Casper.

His vet also suggested that I set aside a dirt-filled box for him to roll in. I may try that. I'm a little worried that it could turn into a real mess -- become his favorite place to roll and relieve himself -- but I'm open to experimenting in search of a solution. A dirt-covered cat would still not be great to have on the furniture and in my lap, of course.

Most of the time, he's a great cat. I attached a photo from a few minutes ago of Casper hanging up a sock to dry...

Attachments

Joxer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think you're onto something with missing his friends who have passed and Lindsey being younger, stronger, and more boisterous. Have you noticed ANY scenarios where Lindsey is stalking him or ambushing him while he's in, or just coming out of, the litter box?
My guess is he's feeling a little insecure. Does he have a space that Lindsey does not have access to?
On top of the enzymatic cleaner, Nature's Miracle has a product that helps prevent them from re-spraying or marking in the same area.
This is probably a stupid suggestion, but, if you offered Casper a big box with just a little bit of dirt on the bottom, do you think he'd take to rolling in that instead of the dusty litter? It sounds like he enjoys a roll in the dirt (most cats do if given the opportunity). This might not cut down on the mess, but it would be better if he ingested some dirt vs. litter.
Casper's sister, Xena, hated Lindsey. Growled and swatted at her whenever she got too close. As a result, Lindsey avoided Xena, and by extension Casper. After Xena died, Lindsey became much bolder and now wants to play with Casper pretty much all day, every day. Casper does not have the same level of energy, though they do seem to play a fair amount, and the games look more like fun than fighting. No growling or hissing; just lots of running around.

Lindsey does set up ambushes for Casper, but not around the litter box. Lindsey has always had her own litter box, and while Xena was alive, she was afraid to use the other one (shared by Casper and Xena). Without Xena around to scare her away, Lindsey now uses both litter boxes, though I have never seen her compete with Casper for the litter box or drive him away from it.

Casper does not have any space that Lindsey cannot access. I'm not sure how I could set that up.

Joxer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you have the room/space for it try a third litterbox, and maybe a fourth.
I have the space. The two current litter boxes are in different rooms, and the floor of each of those rooms is routinely sprinkled with kitty litter (by cats tracking it out of the litter boxes), despite my sweeping those floors many times each day. I have thought about buying some robotic vacuums to handle this chore, but I worry about scaring my cats away from their litter boxes (I know that on Youtube, some cats ride around on those vacuums, but I doubt that Lindsey especially would like them very much).

Basically, I am reluctant to have a third room in the house that has kitty litter on the floor all the time. I know the standard advice is that two cats should have three litter boxes. It is something that is relatively easy to try. I have not done so yet because I have not actually seen any conflict over either litter box.

I would like to give Casper his own space, but I cannot see how to do this while still allowing my cats to play together. Lindsey is bigger and stronger, so anything I set up (high off the floor, for example) as a refuge for Casper would be accessible to her as well.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I honestly doubt a 3rd box will stop Casper from spraying. As I have said, this is a habit, going back to long before he lost his siblings. But if you do add another box, make it with dirt and not litter, and make sure it is located near one of his spraying spots. It is about the best chance that it could alter his current behavior inside the house. If by chance he were to use it, gradually, over a really long period of time you could add some litter while reducing the dirt. Your only issue will be removing and replacing dirt, especially if the ground freezes outside. If this stops any degree of him spraying, you are ahead of the game in terms of where you are now.

I know you are not fond of Casper rolling around in a litter box with dirt, but I am not sure how much worse that is than him doing so in litter. Either way, it needs to be brushed off of him with a brush or towel.

As far as litter on the floor, there are any number of mats that can be placed underneath litter boxes to help 'catch' some of the litter when the cats walk out of the boxes. They can be picked up and shaken out as needed. Will it stop all litter from getting outside the boxes? No, probably not.
Amazon.com: Amazon Basics Less-Mess Cat Litter Box Mat, 24" x 35", Grey : Pet Supplies

In so far as giving Casper some place to go that would give him a break from Lindsey, if you really think that would help him some, is to insert a microchip cat door into a door of one of your rooms that is only programmed to open to his chip. Of course, that is only an option if your cats are microchipped. Tbh, these cat doors aren't cheap either, but again if it helps Casper and you can afford it, it might be well worth it.

You know - whatever grief he might be having over Xena is something that just takes time. It's been a very short period of time since she passed, so he probably is still missing her. The best way to handle that is to dote on him, as it sounds like you do, and let him take his time to deal with it as he needs to. Cats are no different than humans, in that you can't rush them past what they need to go through when they lose someone near and dear to them.

Joxer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I honestly doubt a 3rd box will stop Casper from spraying. As I have said, this is a habit, going back to long before he lost his siblings. But if you do add another box, make it with dirt and not litter, and make sure it is located near one of his spraying spots. It is about the best chance that it could alter his current behavior inside the house. If by chance he were to use it, gradually, over a really long period of time you could add some litter while reducing the dirt. Your only issue will be removing and replacing dirt, especially if the ground freezes outside. If this stops any degree of him spraying, you are ahead of the game in terms of where you are now.

I know you are not fond of Casper rolling around in a litter box with dirt, but I am not sure how much worse that is than him doing so in litter. Either way, it needs to be brushed off of him with a brush or towel.

As far as litter on the floor, there are any number of mats that can be placed underneath litter boxes to help 'catch' some of the litter when the cats walk out of the boxes. They can be picked up and shaken out as needed. Will it stop all litter from getting outside the boxes? No, probably not.
Amazon.com: Amazon Basics Less-Mess Cat Litter Box Mat, 24" x 35", Grey : Pet Supplies

In so far as giving Casper some place to go that would give him a break from Lindsey, if you really think that would help him some, is to insert a microchip cat door into a door of one of your rooms that is only programmed to open to his chip. Of course, that is only an option if your cats are microchipped. Tbh, these cat doors aren't cheap either, but again if it helps Casper and you can afford it, it might be well worth it.

You know - whatever grief he might be having over Xena is something that just takes time. It's been a very short period of time since she passed, so he probably is still missing her. The best way to handle that is to dote on him, as it sounds like you do, and let him take his time to deal with it as he needs to. Cats are no different than humans, in that you can't rush them past what they need to go through when they lose someone near and dear to them.
I've tried those litter-catching mats in the past and found that while they sort of work, eventually urine gets on the mat, and then it's really hard to clean them because of all the little rubber protrusions.

Have you had good results with that Amazon mat? I'm open to trying one of those again.