An Interesting Experience at the Pet Store

absinthe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
(This is not really meant to be a thread about raw food vs cooked food or dry food vs wet food, it is about the passion the drives nutrition debates.)

So after a visit to the shelter, and doing a meet and greet with a few kitties, I've decided to adopt a new kitty to join my resident kitty.  I stopped by the local pet shop to pick up a few items for him.  I usually go to the non-franchised shop, where I buy food and such, but it is smaller and I knew they were out of stock on scratching posts so I went to the local franchised one.  Was not expecting what happened next...

Two middle aged women were working, one acted as pretty much a personal shopping assistant with everything I needed to get.  Then, at the counter, the other one and I had a long conversation about FIP and she was one of the very few people who I have encountered in person that seemed knowledgeable on the subject.  She is also a big proponent of raw food, and we got into a long discussion about what to feed a cat.  Her, and my, views of the cat as an obligate carnivore ruffled the feathers of the lady behind me.  Before long the three of us were discussing cat nutrition!  It was crazy.  I have never met so many passionate people in one place on the topic of cats.  (Well, other than the internet.)  She even concluded by giving me a free sample of Performation Ultra Grain-Free Formula cat food, which I've never heard of and will look into before giving it to my cat.

She says if you feed raw, you have ground up bone meal to help the cat's teeth, but for non-raw food she recommends some dry food to substitute the wet (which is what I do now, though I am trying to get my cat off of dry food for the most part).

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Before long the three of us were discussing cat nutrition!
Fun!  I'd also be surprised to have this happen in person.  That's why I come here. 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She says if you feed raw, you have ground up bone meal to help the cat's teeth, but for non-raw food she recommends some dry food to substitute the wet.
To start off your next discussion. . .ask her what dental benefits humans get from eating crackers ;).

It's fun when anybody knows anything about cat nutrition. Or at least cares enough to discuss it, no matter how much they actually know :tongue2:.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
hunh, that's a new one on me. I've never heard the argument that ground bone helps kitty's teeth.

So what was it that upset the woman behind you? Or was it that you were holding up the line? ;)

BTW, Performatrin is the Pet Valu store brand. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

absinthe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The lady behind me took offence to the store clerk's arguments that domestic cats are obligate carnivores, citing cats eating grass, etc...

Yeah, I looked it up. I'll try it with Trivia but I don't see how it is superior to Orijen (or inferior), but I am still in the wet food camp.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The lady behind me took offence to the store clerk's arguments that domestic cats are obligate carnivores, citing cats eating grass, etc...

Yeah, I looked it up. I'll try it with Trivia but I don't see how it is superior to Orijen (or inferior), but I am still in the wet food camp.
I hear these arguments every time I work. Some of them are very amusing. Some of the people have just a bare minimum of knowledge but think they are experts. Others are just completely ignorant on the subject but want to learn more :dk: It's all different in every conversation. Nothing beats doing your own research and talking to your veterinarian. At least you've armed yourself with some information and can make an informed decision on what you know and what your budget will allow.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a love/hate relationship with these kinds of conversations. Depending on how they go. :p

Like today I had one I loved, started up a convo with one of the PETsMART employees about her cats urinery issue diet, and its always kind of neat to see people impressed with what you have to say. XD And to know that some people outside of TCS care about their pets so thoroughly.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I've never heard the argument that ground bone helps kitty's teeth.
I suppose it does, but not as something  hard to polish your teeths with (if the pieces are big and hard, it wasnt grounded enough).  But because it contains calcium, which is good for the teeths.

So, essentially, I think it was some sort of misunderstanding with her.  She heard grounded bones are good for teeths among others, but assumed the wrong reason.

Some sort of parallell to the other lady. Yes, cats do eats grass. Are they then grass-eaters? No, grass is useful for them, but for having something to threw out!      :)