An Anniversary Of Sorrow And Joy

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am not sure if this is the right spot for this post. It is a mix of topics. So, today is a special day for me. One year ago today, on June 15th, I both adopted my Salem and lost Reeses. I most definitely don't recommend adopting the same day you bury a fur baby, especially when the one you are adopting is only 4 1/2 weeks old. But, life if complicated and sometimes things seem to happen for a reason. . .
I grew up with Reeses and had known her all of my adult life. She just showed up one day at my parents' house and never left. When I moved out, I took along another cat that I grew up with and lived with her for 8 years. When I lost her to mammary cancer, I brought Reeses to live with me. I got to spoil her rotten for the last year and a half of her life. She had CKD and died suddenly and peacefully in her sleep on June 15th, 2018. I took her back to my parents' house to bury her and while there found out that a litter of 4 1/2 week old kittens were recently abandoned. I of course had to go take a look and found this tiny, dirty ball of black fluff staring up at me. Despite my better judgement and feeling numb with grief over Reeses, I took Salem home. She was in desperate need of some one on one care. The first couple of days were so hard. Salem was still on formula and needed constant attention. All I wanted to do was to stay in bed and cry. There were times when I kept thinking what have I gotten myself into. But, now I would not change a thing. Some things happen for a reason. Salem needed me and to be honest, I needed her.
Salem has grown into a beautiful cat. She is playful and happy. She loves attention and cuddles. I could not have asked for more. So, from this point on, June 15th for me, will be a day of remembrance, not sorrow. This is the day my beautiful little girl came to live with me. It is also a day to look back at Reeses life. She was such a unique cat. She was just an amazing, chill, loving cat. I do miss her.
So, I thought I would share some pictures of Reeses and some of Salem from that first week along with some more recent ones. I will try to post new pictures, but it is hard to keep track of what I have posted where. lol
Reeses
100_0662.JPG
DSCI1420 (2).JPG
100_4695 (2).JPG

Salem

6-19-2018 pic 2.JPG
6-20-2018 (45).JPG
June 2018 (31).JPG
5-30-2019 (2).JPG
5-30-2019 (15).JPG
6-5-2019.JPG

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss and have tears in my eyes right now. It is a miracle that you found this baby on the same day. Sometimes, an unplanned distraction can help you through your sorrow and grief. The week my dog (who still lived with my parents) crossed, my MIL and I found a stray kitten with a broken leg. DH agreed to let me keep him until he was properly vetted and healed. I became so involved with caring for a young kitten, who wanted to be held constantly, that it kept my mind occupied. Like you, I would have never chosen to adopt immediately after something so devastating, but everything fell into place. (I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but to end the story of the kitten, he was adopted by DH's friend, who had a wife and two little girls that treated that kitten like a little king.)

This chance meeting turned out to be so fortunate for both you and Salem. Thank you for sharing your story and the beautiful pictures. :hugs:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful story. Who knows, Reeses might have led you to Salem on that day so you would never be too sad in her passing.