Amytriptylline

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
Does anyone have first hand experience with amytriptylline for anxiety and cystitis? I have to put my cat on something for anxiety because she has had two episodes of cystitis in less than a month and the vet thinks it's stress related. He gave me a prescription for amytriptylline. I was hoping to see if anyone has used it and if they had good results and any issues with side effects such as constipation or others Also how long did it take for results? Any experience would be appreciated!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have not had to use it, but I've certainly talked with people who have. The vast majority said their cat did either very well or moderately well with it. But, like humans, each cat has a different body chemistry and will react to medications differently.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just curious if any of the threads in the link above were at all helpful...
Yes, ive read quite a few. It seems that the experiences go.from.bad to very good and it's all individual. I guess I have to take the plunge and see how presley does on the medication. Thank you

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I figured that would end up being the case. :frown: Keep us posted and let us know how things are going!!
I'm scared of possible side effects because she has been through so much with the cystitis and being so afraid and fractious with the vet that she has to be sedated. I don't know what else to do to help her stress and anxiety that keeps causing these episodes of cystitis. I play with her everyday, she has a water fountain, two litter boxes one on each level, toys she can play with, I'm working on feeding her less dry food and more wet. I'm giving her supplements recommended on the Facebook group for this issue(okayd by the vet)I don't know what else to do and it's giving me anxiety because I worry about it all the time, especially if I have to leave but I can't stop living my life. I guess if it helps her then it's worth it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cat music? David Teie's Music for Cats which is on Prime and Spotify, Cat In My Arms on Spotify and elsewhere, and RelaxMyCat. Members on this site swear by it for helping to calm a cat! Some of the calming diffusers - such as Feliway (there are others if you search the internet for them). Squirrel and/or bird videos for extra entertainment? Interactive toys (some are automated)? If insecurity is part of the equation, a ticking clock or a heartbeat toy?

Last edited:

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cat music? David Teie's Music for Cats which is on Prime and Spotify, Cat In My Arms on Spotify and elsewhere, and RelaxMyCat. Members on this site swear by it for helping to calm a cat! Some of the calming diffusers - such as Feliway (there are others if you search the internet for them). Squirrel and/or bird videos for extra entertainment? Interactive toys (some are automated)? If insecurity is part of the equation, a ticking clock or a heartbeat toy?
Yes I have tried cat music, I have feliway diffusers and spray and I use da bird twice a day. I could try the heartbeat toy. She has multiple windows with bird and squirrel feeders. I could try cat tv when I'm gone.