Amputation of a leg?

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat who was up for adoption at the vet I work for, she somehow fractured her patella/knee right in two on her leg.  We don't know how it happened but it did.  I brought her home to foster and my dad (semi retired vet) attempted to suture the patella back together (it was sort of experimental as we weren't sure how it would heal) but we thought we would give her at least the chance of keeping her leg.  Well its been over a month and she still limps on that leg and knuckles over, so she is going to need an amputation.  I've never had a cat with an amputation (she is officially still a foster cat as I am over my limit on kitties) she is living at my house until I can find a new home for her (after she heals from amputation).  Anything I should know or do to help her heal with the loss of a rear leg?  Here is beautiful little Twixy shortly after her 1st surgery.  We are trying to schedule the amputation in the next week or so, just have to coordinate schedules.

Last edited:

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My experience with new amputees is that sometimes they need time to develop strength in the remaining leg and until that time it is hard for them to walk.  After recovery they need exercise options and keeping them in a cage can lead to loss of muscle tone and a longer recovery.  Good luck!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My experience with new amputees is that sometimes they need time to develop strength in the remaining leg and until that time it is hard for them to walk.  After recovery they need exercise options and keeping them in a cage can lead to loss of muscle tone and a longer recovery.  Good luck!!
Thank you.  She will be in a very large room for recovery.  I want her to recover as smoothly and as quickly as possible.  She is such a sweet little thing and a chatter bug, I love her little squeaks.  (If it were up to me she would stay here, but hubby is against it as we already have 2  dogs and 5 cats.)