Amlodipine and Lack of Appetite?

furrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 16 yo CKD kitty was prescribed Amlodipine for hypertension at 1/4 of a 2.5 tablet per day. For the first few days all was fine and he ate normally. Now that it’s been about 10 days, his appetite seems to be waning. Has anyone experienced appetite issues with this drug?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby is on 0.625mg amlodipine a day and has been since the end of January. I have not seen a direct correlation between her taking it and any additional lack of appetite. Some digestive upset signs like vomiting, diarrhea, and decreased appetite are uncommonly seen. My prescription does state it can cause dizziness, but I have not been able to identify that as an issue. However, Feeby has appetite issues most likely due to her CKD, and is also getting Mirataz and ondansetron, both of which were started long before the BP meds.

Have you had your cat's BP checked again? It is usually done 7-10 days from the onset, and again in another two weeks, just to see stabilization. Perhaps, it is connected more to his CKD status?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We go back on Friday for a recheck of the bp. Purrcy has times of low appetite, but has been doing well lately. His bloodwork was really good this past month, creatinine was down to 2.5 from a high of 3.7! We use Miritaz, too. I gave him some this afternoon, but still hasn’t eaten much. Thanks for your response.