Amitriptyline For Cystitis -- Cat Refuses To Take

tsalt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm at my wit's end trying to give my poor Jack 5mg of amitryptline for his cystitis. Some background: he had his second bout of cystitis a few weeks ago, and just when he was getting better he took a sudden turn for the worse and ended up in the hospital overnight with IV fluids and assorted other meds. Ultrasound showed no stones, crystals or other abnormalities, so it basically just came down to the ever-vague "stress" and fluids (we add water to his wet food diet but he doesn't drink beyond that). Vet thought amitryptline would help him chill out a bit (even though he is a pretty relaxed guy).

Anyway: pill pockets worked for the first several days (and we instantly noticed he seemed more relaxed, even though they say it takes awhile to take effect), and we were so happy. But then he started to refuse them, so we paid $86 for compounded triple fish liquid to be added to his food. He backed away from it like it was poison. Chicken flavor gave the same reaction. It even turned him off that flavor of food entirely. He cannot be pilled or syringed as he does not like to be held. I'm not sure what to do! He is currently on his fourth day without it (after 7 days on) and seems okay-ish but definitely more needy and antsy/meowy, which breaks my heart. He takes his other meds in his food like a champ (though we are starting to taper him off those per vet instructions), but I understand this drug is super bitter. The thought of having this issue every night for the rest of his life makes me need an anti-anxiety med myself! Help! Anyone have similar experiences? Many thanks.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can this medicine be made into a transdermal medication (you then rub it inside the ear and it gets absorbed). You might also create custom pill pockets, depending on what he most likes to eat. Cheese wiz, raw hamburger, velveta cheese, etc.

Actually, i've answered my own question, it appears that it can be compounded into a transdermal gel, see link and discuss with vet. Note this is a very serious medication (anti-anxiety) and your cat needs to be closely monitored on it. Amitriptyline Compounded Gel for Cats - PCAB ACRD - VetRxDirect

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tsalt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. Yes, the seriousness of this drug is partially what has me on pins and needles about getting it to him regularly (or finding an alternative)! I think transdermal may have to be our next step, though neither our vet nor the pharmacist at the compounding place like that method since the dosage is much less precise this way. I just wish there was an alternative medication. Regarding the pill pockets, he loves the pockets themselves (we have been giving him little pieces of the dough to remind him of how much he likes it), but I guess once he senses the tiniest, teeniest most microscopic speck of the pill he is like, NOPE. It's maddening!

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Check out the natural herbal mix calming collars at www.calmingcollars.com. They also have sachets you can hang in sleeping areas, carrying cases etc.

Harp music is calming as well. They use it in Hospices. I keep several harp music C/D's on hand and play them when cats seem stressed.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks. Yes, the seriousness of this drug is partially what has me on pins and needles about getting it to him regularly (or finding an alternative)! I think transdermal may have to be our next step, though neither our vet nor the pharmacist at the compounding place like that method since the dosage is much less precise this way. I just wish there was an alternative medication. Regarding the pill pockets, he loves the pockets themselves (we have been giving him little pieces of the dough to remind him of how much he likes it), but I guess once he senses the tiniest, teeniest most microscopic speck of the pill he is like, NOPE. It's maddening!
I feel your pain. Understood about dosaging with transdermal, but if you were careful not to overdose, then a little under dosing might be better than no dosing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tsalt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks stephenq and babiesmom5! Apparently we have presented a unique challenge for our vet, who is going to talk with his fellow vets today and see what comes out of that. He seems to be quite against the transdermal for whatever reason.
And of course, Jack seems to be doing pretty well without the amitryptiline now! (Not counting a little restlessness and vocalization but I think he has been a bit constipated too so, who knows.) Which makes me not want to give it to him at all. To be continued....

coffeecat2420

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks stephenq and babiesmom5! Apparently we have presented a unique challenge for our vet, who is going to talk with his fellow vets today and see what comes out of that. He seems to be quite against the transdermal for whatever reason.
And of course, Jack seems to be doing pretty well without the amitryptiline now! (Not counting a little restlessness and vocalization but I think he has been a bit constipated too so, who knows.) Which makes me not want to give it to him at all. To be continued....
I would love to hear what ultimately happened with the medication decision.