American Journey Wet Food On Chewy

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am not a fan of cranberries in cat food. I know it is sometimes hard to stay away from so it isn't a make it or break it thing. But cranberries have a similar chemical to aspirin in them and aspirin is bad for cats. A little might not cause problems, but I'd weigh options if it is your main food.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems decent. On the same level as Wellness as far as wet foods go. I wouldn’t feed it because I stay away from gums.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with gums, and cranberries, and a lot of other things :( its really hard to find food without ingredients we dont want, but that the cats will eat. The cranberries, and blueberries are after salt, and calcium so i expect there is not much in this food? This is one reason i try to keep a lot of foods in rotation. But its hard to get my guys to eat a lot of different wet foods :(

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The sad part is that there is zero reason for the cranberries to be included besides the fact that ignorant consumers see the word “cranberries” and think it’s healthy.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The sad part is that there is zero reason for the cranberries to be included besides the fact that ignorant consumers see the word “cranberries” and think it’s healthy.
i agree. so many brands market to humans, and it works for many....

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - thanks for the headsup about this! Considering that the ingredient list is actually relatively short (a plus, I think, if they are actually honestly listing everything) and also considering the other nasties that these guys do NOT have (even if they do have sodium selenite etc), I'll very likely try some. Thanks again!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi - thanks for the headsup about this! Considering that the ingredient list is actually relatively short (a plus, I think, if they are actually honestly listing everything) and also considering the other nasties that these guys do NOT have (even if they do have sodium selenite etc), I'll very likely try some. Thanks again!
i ordered a case of the poultry and sea food in gravy, and a case of the poultry in gravy. if the cats don't like it the outsides might. If they don't, well the shelter will benefit :) .. And Kitten season will come soon. I have already seen a few feral moms around town with 8 week or so kittens. :(

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - just got a variety pack of American Journey, and son of a gun, the turkey flavor has been accepted on first feeding. Now we'll just have to see how things go, but I sure appreciate this info - thanks ever so much!!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi - just got a variety pack of American Journey, and son of a gun, the turkey flavor has been accepted on first feeding. Now we'll just have to see how things go, but I sure appreciate this info - thanks ever so much!!
I got mine in too. :) Mine have tried the Turkey, the chicken, and the chicken with tuna. No one has dived in and sucked it up, but thats not uncommon with my bunch. They are eating it, and normally it will take several times before i can tell if they really like it. If they hate it they will not touch it the first time, so i am very hopeful :) It looks good, and smells good, so i hope they do continue to eat. Glad yours are enjoying it! :)

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is it a fairly firm pate with little juice in the can ? Or is it soft and quite juicy..
I'm always looking for the juicy type. I add water to the firm pate but it doesn't always mix well...
My crew likes it loose and juicy, also its good for my CKD kitty.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think they do offer a pate, but in my situation I got the minced - the Big Guy isn't a fan of pate usually.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i am half way through a case of the poultry and seafood variety pack, and a case of the poultry in gravy pack. I have not tried the pate. None of my cats have dived into the food and loved it. but 3 out of 4 will eat it, i have such picky cats :(
It looks good, smells good, and the minced pieces are a good smaller size, not big hunks. I would think it is worth a try for most. The Turkey flavor seems to be the favorite, and Turkey is not usually a fave at my house, so i was surprised about that.

No one has had any issues with upset tummies with this food, no throwing up, no diarrhea or cat farts....lol i have a male that tends to do that with some foods :) There have been no problems with the food so far.

tangers40

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I suckered into the half-off case price on chewy the other day, and my fuzzbucket has a case of the pate variety pack coming soon. Fortunately, she is not picky in the least, so I am confident she will be fine adding it to the rotation. But if she hates it for some reason, my local cat rescue will love it!

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll get back to you in a few days. We've got the chicken bits in gravy case that just showed up today. I got them their Nature's Variety and some Meow Mix Simple Servings they had a sample of last year, and this half off case of American Journey. We also have Stella and Chewy to try for Chewy.com this month in the flavor of Duck Duck Goose.

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just got a case of the Beef and Chicken pate the other day and finally had a chance to try it out over the past few days. First time I tried it, neither boy was enthusiastic. They ate it after I sprinkled it with Pure Bites.

Today, I accidentally forgot to give the boys breakfast before heading out and so I know they were hungry when I got back. Opened up more cans of American Journey for them. Wouldn't touch it. Sprinkled on Pure Bites. Wouldn't touch it. Finally gave in and put some RedBarn in their other food bowls and they wolfed it down. So American Journey is a miss for my boys.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hate when i get all excited about a new food and the cats are like NO, not eating it :( mine are warming up to the american journey minced foods. They are slow to take to a new one sometimes. I have ordered another case to see how it goes. I have one cat that only wants minced, and she likes these, the other 3 need to decide they do too :)