AmazonSmile Being Discontinued

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Sadly, Amazon is discontinuing its AmazonSmile charitable giving program. I just received this message :( :

In 2013, we launched AmazonSmile to make it easier for customers to support their favorite charities. However, after almost a decade, the program has not grown to create the impact that we had originally hoped. With so many eligible organizations—more than 1 million globally—our ability to have an impact was often spread too thin.

We are writing to let you know that we plan to wind down AmazonSmile by February 20, 2023. We will continue to pursue and invest in other areas where we’ve seen we can make meaningful change—from building affordable housing to providing access to computer science education for students in underserved communities to using our logistics infrastructure and technology to assist broad communities impacted by natural disasters.

To help charities that have been a part of the AmazonSmile program with this transition, we will be providing them with a one-time donation equivalent to three months of what they earned in 2022 through the program, and they will also be able to accrue additional donations until the program officially closes in February. Once AmazonSmile closes, charities will still be able to seek support from Amazon customers by creating their own wish lists.

As a company, we will continue supporting a wide range of other programs that help thousands of charities and communities across the U.S. For instance:
  • Housing Equity Fund: We’re investing $2 billion to build and preserve affordable housing in our hometown communities. In just two years, we’ve provided funding to create more than 14,000 affordable homes—and we expect to build at least 6,000 more in the coming months. These units will host more than 18,000 moderate- to low-income families, many of them with children. In one year alone, our investments have been able to increase the affordable housing stock in communities like Bellevue, Washington and Arlington, Virginia by at least 20%.
  • Amazon Future Engineer: We’ve funded computer science curriculum for more than 600,000 students across over 5,000 schools—all in underserved communities. We have plans to reach an additional 1 million students this year. We’ve also provided immediate assistance to 55,000 students in our hometown communities by giving them warm clothes for the winter, food, and school supplies.
  • Community Delivery Program: We’ve partnered with food banks in 35 U.S. cities to deliver more than 23 million meals, using our logistics infrastructure to help families in need access healthy food – and we plan to deliver 12 million more meals this year alone. In addition to our delivery services, we’ve also donated 30 million meals in communities across the country.
  • Amazon Disaster Relief: We’re using our logistics capabilities, inventory, and cloud technology to provide fast aid to communities affected by natural disasters. For example, we’ve created a Disaster Relief Hub in Atlanta with more than 1 million relief items ready for deployment, our Disaster Relief team has responded to more than 95 natural disasters, and we’ve donated more than 20 million relief products to nonprofits assisting communities on the ground.
  • Community Giving: We support hundreds of local nonprofits doing meaningful work in cities where our employees and their families live. For example, each year we donate hundreds of millions of dollars to organizations working to build stronger communities, from youth sport leagues, to local community colleges, to shelters for families experiencing homelessness.
We’ll continue working to make a difference in many ways, and our long-term commitment to our communities remains the same—we’re determined to do every day better for our customers, our employees, and the world at large.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Huh, I'll be darned.

Some stores that are a little more local, if that's the right way to put it, such as King Soopers have a similar program where a customer can sign up and then a certain amount from every purchase goes to a charity of choice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I used to do that through King Soopers when I lived in Colorado. I do it now through Fred Meyer, which is also part of the Kroger family, for a local cat rescue. My AmazonSmile also went to a local rescue. I also give directly, but this was a nice bonus.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I used to do that through King Soopers when I lived in Colorado. I do it now through Fred Meyer, which is also part of the Kroger family, for a local cat rescue. My AmazonSmile also went to a local rescue. I also give directly, but this was a nice bonus.
I'd always get a little note that said my YTD smile orders had raised X money for my rescue of choice, and it wasn't anything huge but it was something. I wonder why they decided to do away with this.

MeezeIfYouPlz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got the same email, though we haven't used Amazon in a long time. It's not the same thing, where it costs you nothing, but I've been trying to spread the word that Chewy now offers a wishlist option, to make it easy to donate to your favorite charity.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sad to know this. It was an easy way to contribute to charities. But if Amazon had thousands of charities, it was probably expensive to run.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does all the Kroger family have this program? We have Harris Teeter, but haven't seen any mention of it.

My donations also went to a local rescue. I'm sad they're discontinuing it.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah I'm not buying their " has not grown to create the impact that we had originally hoped " line at all. This kind of program reaches the little guys. What it doesn't give them is PUBLICITY. :hmmm:

I shop Amazon plenty and it always made me feel good that at least a little was going to a good place that I care about. Now any giving is going wherever they send it. And that's likely to be whatever cause is currently most trendy. Little or big; all giving helps someone. Giving for recognition is all the reward you get for that giving.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I donated to Feral Cat Caretakers Coalition in Los Angeles. This has been my charity of choice for quite a while, but I have always noticed that the "donations" were tiny. I am all the way up to $50 as of today and overall they have garnered about $3500. Still, it was something.

The Chewy Wishlist program is very good and extremely easy to use. Yes, you are making the donation, and not Chewy, but it is well set up and quite inclusive.

MeezeIfYouPlz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I donated to Feral Cat Caretakers Coalition in Los Angeles. This has been my charity of choice for quite a while, but I have always noticed that the "donations" were tiny. I am all the way up to $50 as of today and overall they have garnered about $3500. Still, it was something.

The Chewy Wishlist program is very good and extremely easy to use. Yes, you are making the donation, and not Chewy, but it is well set up and quite inclusive.
Plus, Chewy is just an excellent company to deal with. Get the wrong item or a food your pet won't eat? Nine times out of 10 Chewy will tell you to donate it to a local shelter and they'll refund your money. Lose a furkid and Chewy will oftentimes send flowers and sympathy cards. They donate oodles to animal charities too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They can, and should do better than that.
Beezos' worth doesn't have anything to do with the company's various budget buckets, and the company always needs to be aware of the bottom line. That's how he got his money.

That said, I noticed Greater Good recently made a big change in how they're handling the distribution of their donations as well.

My guess is that there's been a significant tax change or something of that nature.