Amazing Cat "west" Passed Yesterday Morning In Peace

CatsRit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought I would share my experience incase it helps others out there dealing with the end of their life. We are estimating was around 19 possible 20 years old, he was a rescue.
My oldest daughter brought him home from college as a rescue from an abusive ex-boyfriend. He had only lived in an apartment. We accepted the cat but were not happy about it at the time. But we fell in love with the orange tabby cat. We had an acre at the time and the first day he climbed a tree. We had our neighbor call letting us know an orange cat has been in a tree all day. We grabbed a ladder and helped him down. A few years later we moved to a farm 14 acres which 8 acre was fenced. Living out in the country surrounded by elk, deer, coyotes was a new experience for him as well as us. All animals needed to be in the house at night. We discovered we had a female lynx denning on the property and ever so often I would see her baby. Anyway for many years my cat West and this lynx would play games with each other. He would spray all over as well as her spraying marking our property. He would want out early morning to watch from the upper rocks waiting for her to come back. When he saw her he run back to the house as fast as he could. He did this for years. Those two had something which was crazy for an urban cat and a wild cat. The lynx was poached three years ago. He was so smart to survive surrounded by wild life. Most neighbors cats don't live very long here. He was always very healthy.
About two years ago he was diagnosed with hyp. thyroid level issues. Put him on medication. When checked they always stated his levels are better than healthy cats. Last summer around August he just returned from being outside. The forest fire smoke was at dangerous level, and I didn't realize he was out. He came in and had respiratory attach. Laid flat on his stomach with paws in front of his head and his tough hanging out hyperventilating I didn't know what to do. After half an hour I decided to try electrolytes (farm animal) I had in water and syringe the solution in his mouth. This did the trick he started snapping out of it. It took several hours for him to act normal again. Than last November, he had a seizure. He was totally not responsive. I started the electrolytes water solution again, every hour. This went on for two days. He recovered only for two days and had another seizure. Had to start all over again treating him. The vet told me to take him off his medication at this time. He took another three days syringe feeding and liquid. Lifting him to the litter box several times. I work at home so I was able to do this, not knowing if he would come out of a second time. He did. (Part 1 of 2). Sorry so long.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatsRit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Part 2 of 2. He came out of it with some limitations. His back was humped and was very clumsy for a while couldn't walk straight, like he was drunk. He also lost his hearing. Every week after he got better with walking and eventually his hearing came back. His humped back remained. He eventually was able to jump on the couch and bed again. His appetite was great and resumed his normal life going outside and enjoying family. I did notice he became very loving which prior he only would be this way at his terms of what mood he was in. I took him to the vet to be sure he wasn't in pain. She confirmed he was not in pain, but felt his quality of life has changed. I personally felt he was just old and is doing so well, with a hump back. I had a meeting with all family members being around and we agreed to go the hospice route at this point. Being old shouldn't be a put down at this point. Well seven wonderful months changed the last four days. One night he was up all night, jumping up on my bed sleeping a bit than jumping down. He did this all night. The next day he stopped eating and drinking. He would just stare at his dishes for long periods of time and than take naps. He did use the litter box still. The next night I got up at 4am to get cold medicine as I wasn't feeling well. I noticed West wasn't sleeping in the hallway where he preferred close to his food and litterbox in the next room. I found him in the bathroom, with his head on my clothes I piled up in my closed for wash. He was in rapid breath. I new the time has come. His eyes very black and blank stare, no blinking at all. I stroked him and reassured it was okay to go. I stayed there for an hour. I was sick so decided to go back to bed. I woke about 6am and went to check on him. He wasn't breathing anymore but still comforted him. I noticed his paw did twitch for awhile so I figured he must of just passed. He did not poop or pee, just passed peacefully. I am glad I chose hospice care but only if he wasn't in pain. I am sure there will be someone else not agreeing. It was very special being there through his passing no twitching no spasms, just a sleep during his journey.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Part 2 of 2. He came out of it with some limitations. His back was humped and was very clumsy for a while couldn't walk straight, like he was drunk. He also lost his hearing. Every week after he got better with walking and eventually his hearing came back. His humped back remained. He eventually was able to jump on the couch and bed again. His appetite was great and resumed his normal life going outside and enjoying family. I did notice he became very loving which prior he only would be this way at his terms of what mood he was in. I took him to the vet to be sure he wasn't in pain. She confirmed he was not in pain, but felt his quality of life has changed. I personally felt he was just old and is doing so well, with a hump back. I had a meeting with all family members being around and we agreed to go the hospice route at this point. Being old shouldn't be a put down at this point. Well seven wonderful months changed the last four days. One night he was up all night, jumping up on my bed sleeping a bit than jumping down. He did this all night. The next day he stopped eating and drinking. He would just stare at his dishes for long periods of time and than take naps. He did use the litter box still. The next night I got up at 4am to get cold medicine as I wasn't feeling well. I noticed West wasn't sleeping in the hallway where he preferred close to his food and litterbox in the next room. I found him in the bathroom, with his head on my clothes I piled up in my closed for wash. He was in rapid breath. I new the time has come. His eyes very black and blank stare, no blinking at all. I stroked him and reassured it was okay to go. I stayed there for an hour. I was sick so decided to go back to bed. I woke about 6am and went to check on him. He wasn't breathing anymore but still comforted him. I noticed his paw did twitch for awhile so I figured he must of just passed. He did not poop or pee, just passed peacefully. I am glad I chose hospice care but only if he wasn't in pain. I am sure there will be someone else not agreeing. It was very special being there through his passing no twitching no spasms, just a sleep during his journey.
Im so deeply sorry....my heart goes out to ure sweet kitty..n to u..:heartshape::alright::redheartpump::catrub::petcat:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reading about this cat, the games played with the lynx and moving onto acreage with 8 of them fenced and his years spent enjoying the good life, I feel this cat has really "lived" more than I have :wave3:
It sounds like he had an amazing life. You treated his thyroid problems, went to hospice care when he became elderly and he passed on his own on a pile of your clothes that no doubt still had some kind of your scent on them. At 20 or so years old! That's one heck of an age.
I know you hurt, but this guy had an amazing, interesting, and active life with you, and was cared for so well by you that I'm sure he wanted for nothing.
I'm so sorry for your loss :alright:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved friend. You gave him a wonderful life and let him pass the way he wanted to. Peacefully at home. :rbheart:

CatsRit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Reading about this cat, the games played with the lynx and moving onto acreage with 8 of them fenced and his years spent enjoying the good life, I feel this cat has really "lived" more than I have :wave3:
It sounds like he had an amazing life. You treated his thyroid problems, went to hospice care when he became elderly and he passed on his own on a pile of your clothes that no doubt still had some kind of your scent on them. At 20 or so years old! That's one heck of an age.
I know you hurt, but this guy had an amazing, interesting, and active life with you, and was cared for so well by you that I'm sure he wanted for nothing.
Thank you he was amazing. There is a story why the two became friends but I didn't want to distract from West, but the two were buddies. I guess I could elaborate on this but for now I am missing my buddy and appreciate this site to share I will try to upload a picture soon.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you he was amazing. There is a story why the two became friends but I didn't want to distract from West, but the two were buddies. I guess I could elaborate on this but for now I am missing my buddy and appreciate this site to share I will try to upload a picture soon.
I'd love to hear that story. Domestic animals and wildlife playing games and being buddies is always something that brings a smile to my face :wave3:

CatsRit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lynx friendship. WARNING IS GRAPHIC When we moved to our acreage on the farm. A few years later we got a German Shepard. She was very protective of us and we loved her. She became best friends with West. They played hard with each other, chasing each other and our Shepard would actually grab his neck and fling him, but they both had lots of fun. Mean while we saw our dog started playing with the coyotes on the other side of the fence, the alpha of the coyotes kept testing our Shepard. We decided to ad another dog. Realizing she needed a friend as West wasn't able to complete this energy she had. They were best of friends. We rescued a pup possible around 6 months, he looked like a grey hound as he was so skinny, he was part Rhodesian and misc.. As he got a few weeks older he got aggressive with West, our cat. Not good. He actually attacked him with many punctures thru out his body. He climbed a tree to get away. I found him and brought him into the house I didn't think he would survive. He slept under my bed for two nights. He regained his strength and tried to go outside but hissed and had a problem with our new dog. He was so angry that this dog took his life outdoors away. Well his friend the Lynx stepped in. Within days of West injury, the lynx literally attached this dog ripped him up pretty bad. His belly had large paw claw puncture wounds and hind legs ripped open as well as inner leg with claw puncture wounds . Lynx have very large paws. After this West was able to go out side and this dog was so scared of him and West picked up on this and was pretty mean to the pup for at least a year. He finally forgave him and started being nice and rubbing him with love. The pup (Duke) has not recovered to this day and scared of cats. The Lynx never did this again. This is how I know they were buddies over the years. Our German Shepherd died a few years ago and we had her cremated. We waited to bury her as we wanted her and West buried together as they were life buddies.

Attachments

CatsRit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It was amazing trip with him.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart goes out to you, I know what a huge hole there is in your life at the moment. West sounds so very special, he shared your life's journey for a while and brought much to it. It also sounds like he led a very adventurous, happy, long life, and for that I am happy, and that he found such a wonderful family to give him what he wanted the most in life, love and a home to share. That he died peacefully at home surrounded by those he loved so much is a rare blessing. The bond of love you share with that special boy will be with you always. "Death cannot take that which never dies" and you know the love you share will be eternal. He will always be as close as your thoughts and prayers, so send him love and comfort and he will do the same. I pray your wonderful memories will bring you comfort.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this time. Thank you for the wonderful tribute to such a special little boy. It brings all of us closer to him and we will all think of him and pray for his tiny soul. Take care....RIP sweet West. You will forever be remembered, you will forever hold a special place in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss.
Boy! Based from your story he did live a beautiful life!

Rest in peace, sweet boy West. Until you meet again.

CatsRit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My heart goes out to you, I know what a huge hole there is in your life at the moment. West sounds so very special, he shared your life's journey for a while and brought much to it. It also sounds like he led a very adventurous, happy, long life, and for that I am happy, and that he found such a wonderful family to give him what he wanted the most in life, love and a home to share. That he died peacefully at home surrounded by those he loved so much is a rare blessing. The bond of love you share with that special boy will be with you always. "Death cannot take that which never dies" and you know the love you share will be eternal. He will always be as close as your thoughts and prayers, so send him love and comfort and he will do the same. I pray your wonderful memories will bring you comfort.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this time. Thank you for the wonderful tribute to such a special little boy. It brings all of us closer to him and we will all think of him and pray for his tiny soul. Take care....RIP sweet West. You will forever be remembered, you will forever hold a special place in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!
Thank you for your kind reassuring words, it really helped

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like he really enjoyed his life with you, and from the way he passed curled up on your dirty laundry I think it's safe to say he was at peace. You'll see him again, someday, waiting for you with his best friend.

CatsRit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last night, my daughter who rescued him was camping and didn't know he had passed, no cell service. I was watching her dogs, I call it doggy day camp as they love running the acreage. She and her husband, the news was very hard on them. I had the grandchildren gather flowers, and I brought them to West and GSD(Mandy's) grave. The kids each put flowers down as well as my daughter and my son in-law. Was a nice tribute of how much he was loved.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, West, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

What a wonderful life you gave West! And I have no issue with hospice care, as you said that you would have chosen differently if he were in pain. You let him live and die on his own terms, and what magnificent terms they were! He left this Adventure for his Next Great Adventure knowing he was loved, knowing freedom in ways that city cats just can't safely know. He lived life large, and I'm sure he continues to do so even now!

CatsRit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Rest you gentle, West, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

What a wonderful life you gave West! And I have no issue with hospice care, as you said that you would have chosen differently if he were in pain. You let him live and die on his own terms, and what magnificent terms they were! He left this Adventure for his Next Great Adventure knowing he was loved, knowing freedom in ways that city cats just can't safely know. He lived life large, and I'm sure he continues to do so even now!
As you mentioned dreams. The same day he passed, I fell asleep on the couch. My husband is out of town and my other child was at a late night exercise class. She came home and woke me up telling me to go to bed. I was exhausted from being sick and loosing my cat the same day. She asked me the next day if I remember what I said when she woke me. I stated no. She said I said West was still alive! Why would I say this after all of this. I thought maybe he came to me in my sleep somehow. I will never know why I said this.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Because your heart knows...love never dies, it only changes form and continues on, still Love. And Love abides, always and forever, Love abides. So the best part of him, his Love for you, is with you still.