Am I starving my cat?!

SprocketsDad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm trying to make sure my cat is okay! He is only 6.0lbs right now and it bothers me (I just weighed him at home because I THOUGHT we were feeding him enough to gain a little weight)... here's a quick history.

When we first got him he was 4 months old, August of 2021. For the following year, he was fed every 6 hours. **1.5oz of wet with maybe 1/4 cup of kitten blend crunchies on the 6's, and then he got a half cup of kitten blend crunchies on the 12's**... plus plenty of treats because himb is a good bubba. At his first annual check-up in August of 2022, he weighed in at 11.5lbs and the vet said that's fine, but it wouldn't be terrible if he lost a pound, as he is strictly an indoor cat.

So for the following year we greatly reduced the number of crunchies with each feeding. Still giving him half a can of wet with some crunchies on the sixes, and a handful of crunchies on the twelves. Plus some variation of treats/oatmilk/proteins almost every day after we play with him. This past August we went to his 2nd annual, and he dropped all the way down to 7.5lbs. I noticed his pooch wasn't hanging like it had been.... and I play with him a lot so he gets his exercise.. but 4lbs in a year just by lowering his crunchies???

Which takes us to now. Last night he weighed 6.0lbs. He's full of energy, meows/chirps constantly when he wants to play or eat which is every minute of every day that I'm around. I swear he's only interested in napping when I'm at work or when I go to bed at night lol. How is he eating around the clock and losing weight for the better part of 16 months?!

Even though he eats at the SAME TIME every day... he'll start meowing-chirping-cooing at the both of us like he hasn't seen food in a week. literally every 10 second's he'll make a noise until we feed him.

Is he starving? how is he NOT gaining any weight? Or is this typical of young kitties/tuxedoes

Attachments

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you think you are feeding him enough and he's still losing weight, I would take him to the vet. A few things like hyperthyroid and intestinal lymphoma can eat calories causing a cat to be ravenous, eat very well, and still lose weight. It's probably not either one of those. Those are generally older cat diseases. But I would certainly want to rule both out. One's a blood test and the other would require an ultrasound.

Does he feel too skinny?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi I'm having some trouble understanding how much food you reduced.

You had measured and then you stopped measuring? While you await a vet appointment, I would get an inexpensive set of measurement cups.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SprocketsDad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you think you are feeding him enough and he's still losing weight, I would take him to the vet. A few things like hyperthyroid and intestinal lymphoma can eat calories causing a cat to be ravenous, eat very well, and still lose weight. It's probably not either one of those. Those are generally older cat diseases. But I would certainly want to rule both out. One's a blood test and the other would require an ultrasound.

Does he feel too skinny?
He's boney around his hips but not skinny. Just shocked he lost any more weight.. maybe I'm just playing with him more and more and his metabolism is going bonkers

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's boney around his hips but not skinny. Just shocked he lost any more weight.. maybe I'm just playing with him more and more and his metabolism is going bonkers
I would still involve a vet. Maybe he's just playing more than he's eating. But I would feel horrible if there was something more sinister going on that gets overlooked.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Let us know how actually measuring his food goes. It does sound like he needs a bit more.

If he's had a sudden surge in energy, that does also point to hyperthyroidism. It's fairly common in cats.

A cat doesn't need to be skinny to have hyperthyroidism. But loosing weight fast is a sign of it.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he's had a sudden surge in energy, that does also point to hyperthyroidism. It's fairly common in cats.

A cat doesn't need to be skinny to have hyperthyroidism. But loosing weight fast is a sign of it.
Wouldn't it be too early for being HT given that OP's cat is not even 3 years old?

I'd rather think that the cat is eating too little. Measuring cups might mean little if we don't know how many calories per ounce or kg that food is providing.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wouldn't it be too early for being HT given that OP's cat is not even 3 years old?

I'd rather think that the cat is eating too little. Measuring cups might mean little if we don't know how many calories per ounce or kg that food is providing.
Agreed re: measuring cups. But having a more accurate measurement than "a handful" is an important first step to weight management.

Likely too young for hyperthyroidism but 5% of hyperthyroid cats are younger than 10 years old. Still a chance.
Edit: should say unlikely

Last edited:

chesterspal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My board certified internist vet told me years ago how to check for a pets proper weight.

Assuming he/she appears to be in good health otherwise... eating, drinking, playing, etc....

Check the spine when standing. You should be able to feel the spine at middle back but not see it. If you can see it the pet is likely too thin. If you cannot feel the spine easily then too fat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SprocketsDad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sprocket is doing great! He loves to hunt his "birdies" (feathers on a fishing pole lol) and be chased around the condo by Dad. He's even starting to develop muscular definition around his shoulders. He's a total badass lol. After a little boost to his caloric intake it looks like he's found the sweet spot and has settled in at 6.6 - 6.8 lbs when we do our weigh-ins every thursday night!

Attachments