Am I overreacting or is there something wrong

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my 2 year old cat has been acting strange for a few days. He has been more aggressive with my 1 year old cat (usually its just "you got too close and I don't like it" or "let's wrestle and maybe hiss") but every time he even sees him its hissing and growling (they have lived together since September of last year). He's also become more aggressive with me. He's always been independent but I can't seem to walk past him sometimes without receiving a hiss. He's also been biting more. I thought it might be that his FLUTD (feline lower urinary tract disease) flaring so I gave him some of his pain medication but that doesn't seem to be the problem. Now he's acting much more withdrawn and doesn't want affection (he usually comes to see me when he wants cuddles or wants to take a nap on my lap). I saw him eat this morning but I'm not sure if I'm reading too much into it or if there may actually be something wrong. Any advice is appreciated!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Exactly, what is the "pain med" you've given ?

You'll also need to know exactly what's been happening in the litterbox as well (behaviour and deposits).

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Make sure he's not blocked. He needs to pee. If his FLUTD is flared he may be blocked and need immediate vet attention.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Exactly, what is the "pain med" you've given ?

You'll also need to know exactly what's been happening in the litterbox as well (behaviour and deposits).
The vet gave me gabapentin. I will try to monitor the litterbox but I'm worried cause i have finals this week and want him to be okay

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Make sure he's not blocked. He needs to pee. If his FLUTD is flared he may be blocked and need immediate vet attention.
How would I know he was blocked? Are there symptoms I should look out for?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The gabapentin is sedating......it could/might account for "Now he's acting much more withdrawn and doesn't want affection".

How would you know if he were blocked? Well, less/no urine in the LB for starters. Straining/vocalizing in/around the box, producing 'tiny' amounts of urine and urinating outside the box are typical signs..........

If you can't monitor 'in person', then, with more than one cat in the house, he needs to be separated with his own box. (Perhaps do that when you are away.)

I would say that the hissing, growling and aggression sound to me like he's uncomfortable (at least) and possibly experiencing pain. But......it could also be redirected aggression (some change has upset him, perhaps he's seen another cat through the window etc etc etc...)

Best you can do is watch like an eagle and play detective!

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The gabapentin is sedating......it could/might account for "Now he's acting much more withdrawn and doesn't want affection".

How would you know if he were blocked? Well, less/no urine in the LB for starters. Straining/vocalizing in/around the box, producing 'tiny' amounts of urine and urinating outside the box are typical signs..........

If you can't monitor 'in person', then, with more than one cat in the house, he needs to be separated with his own box. (Perhaps do that when you are away.)

I would say that the hissing, growling and aggression sound to me like he's uncomfortable (at least) and possibly experiencing pain. But......it could also be redirected aggression (some change has upset him, perhaps he's seen another cat through the window etc etc etc...)

Best you can do is watch like an eagle and play detective!
Thank you so much. I don't want to quarantine him in a room with his own box but i guess if it were only for a few hours it would be fine. We have many strays in my neighborhood and (although he has been fixed for almost his whole life and has never had any litters) he thinks their all his girlfriends.

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How would I know he was blocked? Are there symptoms I should look out for?
Keep watching to see if he pees in the Box. My sister just went through this with her Kitty, Dallas. He was hissing and they didn't understand why. She only has one cat but for some reason did not notice he stopped peeing.

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Keep watching to see if he pees in the Box. My sister just went through this with her Kitty, Dallas. He was hissing and they didn't understand why. She only has one cat but for some reason did not notice he stopped peeing.
Was he blocked? If so what was his treatment

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Was he blocked? If so what was his treatment
Yes Dallas was completely blocked. He had lots of stones. He was hospitalized for 2 days and they kept flushing him with fluids and it worked. Perhaps medicine too, don't know all the details. Pain meds for sure. Now he is home, fine, but on special food.

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE! He did in fact pee as I took him outside to enjoy a little nature and he peed fine. So now that I know he is peeing fine, what else could be the issue. When I went to pick him up to bring him back inside he lashed around and bit me pretty hard and wouldn't stop growling and hissing as I tried to herd him back

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That is great news that he is not blocked. However, it does not mean that he is not in pain from some other source, so I would not rule out a call or visit to the vet. His behavior is pretty extreme and seems sudden, more or less, and to me would be a red flag.

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is great news that he is not blocked. However, it does not mean that he is not in pain from some other source, so I would not rule out a call or visit to the vet. His behavior is pretty extreme and seems sudden, more or less, and to me would be a red flag.
Yeah I agree. He's sometimes prickly but never a straight up jerk. I'm going to call on Monday when they open and take the first appointment I can just to get him checked out

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you remember your very first post here...when you joined?
I have a 6 month old black shorthair and I cant seem to get him to behave. He likes to bite my hands and feet and I've tried disciplining him but nothing seems to get through...He bites me any opportunity he gets but especially at night.....I'm literally having panic attacks because of this....as soon as I go to my bedroom he really becomes wild. Please help me I literally do not know what to do anymore.​
And, the title of that...........'End of My Rope'

Then, in April he began having the inappropriate urination.........about a month after Covid arrived.

Tell me about the atmosphere, the environment there. Obviously, it's busy. You have other animals, too. And, this week you have final exams. And, the holidays around the corner. Would it be fair to say that it's fairly stressful there around now......as it is in many households (maybe most?) This isn't a point for criticism, it's just a comment on what's very common everywhere these days.

If you can take a step back, pause (if that's even possible :lol:), and just think for a minute. Are 'things' different from, say, a year ago? It's really hard to do this, to 'detach' and try to assess.......

Stress can permeate every aspect of day-to-day life and make huge differences in how our cats see us - they pick up on it immediately, because they don't have the capacity to process "What is going on here?" They 'simply' respond/react to what they perceive: all the non-verbal communication that goes on.

Now, he came to you as an already aggressive cat......and, that was caused by the environment/s he came from. Perhaps he's responding similarly now......you'll need to put some heavy thinking into this.

Are you still using that pheromone diffuser....if not, get it up and running. Do you have a way to have classical music playing in the house? If you want to use the Internet, look for "Music for Cats" on YouTube. If you think there's been a change in the 'atmosphere' there, it will likely require a call for a household 'time out' and a thorough discussion with all involved. And, more than the cats will be being affected, so there's a real payoff for everyone.

One of the Vets you dealt with earlier on suggested using amytriptyline with him. IMO, that should be the very last resort.

Have to go - cats to feed LOL

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So my 2 year old cat has been acting strange for a few days. He has been more aggressive with my 1 year old cat (usually its just "you got too close and I don't like it" or "let's wrestle and maybe hiss") but every time he even sees him its hissing and growling (they have lived together since September of last year). He's also become more aggressive with me. He's always been independent but I can't seem to walk past him sometimes without receiving a hiss. He's also been biting more. I thought it might be that his FLUTD (feline lower urinary tract disease) flaring so I gave him some of his pain medication but that doesn't seem to be the problem. Now he's acting much more withdrawn and doesn't want affection (he usually comes to see me when he wants cuddles or wants to take a nap on my lap). I saw him eat this morning but I'm not sure if I'm reading too much into it or if there may actually be something wrong. Any advice is appreciated!

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My gut reaction to your most recent post is the fact that you were outside. I think there are neighborhood cats that he is responding to and this may be aggression that is intended for them. They may not be present but their scent is. I know from experience that this can happen because my cat, Riot, now deceased, did this a few times. I stopped allowing her outside and the behavior stopped.

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you remember your very first post here...when you joined?
I have a 6 month old black shorthair and I cant seem to get him to behave. He likes to bite my hands and feet and I've tried disciplining him but nothing seems to get through...He bites me any opportunity he gets but especially at night.....I'm literally having panic attacks because of this....as soon as I go to my bedroom he really becomes wild. Please help me I literally do not know what to do anymore.​
And, the title of that...........'End of My Rope'

Then, in April he began having the inappropriate urination.........about a month after Covid arrived.

Tell me about the atmosphere, the environment there. Obviously, it's busy. You have other animals, too. And, this week you have final exams. And, the holidays around the corner. Would it be fair to say that it's fairly stressful there around now......as it is in many households (maybe most?) This isn't a point for criticism, it's just a comment on what's very common everywhere these days.

If you can take a step back, pause (if that's even possible :lol:), and just think for a minute. Are 'things' different from, say, a year ago? It's really hard to do this, to 'detach' and try to assess.......

Stress can permeate every aspect of day-to-day life and make huge differences in how our cats see us - they pick up on it immediately, because they don't have the capacity to process "What is going on here?" They 'simply' respond/react to what they perceive: all the non-verbal communication that goes on.

Now, he came to you as an already aggressive cat......and, that was caused by the environment/s he came from. Perhaps he's responding similarly now......you'll need to put some heavy thinking into this.

Are you still using that pheromone diffuser....if not, get it up and running. Do you have a way to have classical music playing in the house? If you want to use the Internet, look for "Music for Cats" on YouTube. If you think there's been a change in the 'atmosphere' there, it will likely require a call for a household 'time out' and a thorough discussion with all involved. And, more than the cats will be being affected, so there's a real payoff for everyone.

One of the Vets you dealt with earlier on suggested using amytriptyline with him. IMO, that should be the very last resort.

Have to go - cats to feed LOL
I mean I got him my sophomore year of college so he's been through finals week before. I always refill his diffusers when they empty. He's not aggressive towards the outdoor cats, he mostly wants to just sniff them. I got him from one of my friends whose cat had an unwanted litter. I will try the music thing

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My gut reaction to your most recent post is the fact that you were outside. I think there are neighborhood cats that he is responding to and this may be aggression that is intended for them. They may not be present but their scent is. I know from experience that this can happen because my cat, Riot, now deceased, did this a few times. I stopped allowing her outside and the behavior stopped.
It's mostly female cats and he just kinda wants to sniff them and lick them. The only male stray we have doesnt come close to my house as he is more wary of people

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many cat trees and litter boxes do you have? How many times a day do you play with him and your other cat? 2-4 years old is social maturity in cats and its common for their to be fights. Thats where adding the extra territory and burning off energy will really help. I have 2 two year old boys and a one year old girl, my one boy especially has gotten worse for being a jerk to the other two. I find tiring him out is the one thing that really helps as well as feliway multicat and bach flower essences. He doesn't like playing by himself so he thinks its fun to chase the lil one... she doesnt think its fun and hisses and growls. The other boy likes to get in on the fun.. or he redirects onto the girl if his brother is being rude. So yah they get played with frequently during the day and before bed lol. They still don't seem to get the whole no playing with claws and teeth part. But the playing them out really helps more than anything.

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How many cat trees and litter boxes do you have? How many times a day do you play with him and your other cat? 2-4 years old is social maturity in cats and its common for their to be fights. Thats where adding the extra territory and burning off energy will really help. I have 2 two year old boys and a one year old girl, my one boy especially has gotten worse for being a jerk to the other two. I find tiring him out is the one thing that really helps as well as feliway multicat and bach flower essences. He doesn't like playing by himself so he thinks its fun to chase the lil one... she doesnt think its fun and hisses and growls. The other boy likes to get in on the fun.. or he redirects onto the girl if his brother is being rude. So yah they get played with frequently during the day and before bed lol. They still don't seem to get the whole no playing with claws and teeth part. But the playing them out really helps more than anything.
Currently there are 2 cat trees and 2 litterboxes (I have nowhere else in my house to put another). He seems to enjoy playing but the issue becomes his brother is still very much a kitten so any toy brought out he thinks is his. I want to try and get a little laser pointer but I am not sure if he would enjoy that