Am I on the right track RE: Kitten introduction

Cf24248

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there

I did this song and dance (introducing a new cat) about three years back, and got very good advice. I'm back again to see if I'm doing it right again! My older cat recently passed away entirely unexpectedly. Our younger cat has been painfully lonely with him gone. So, we've adopted a boded pair of rescue kittens, about 7 months old (both females, my adult cat is a male). The kittens want to interact with the resident cat - They came from a foster and a room full of cats, so they have zero trepidation. It's just getting resident cat used to them.

Like the first time, the kittens are confined to their own room. The very first time I cracked the door so resident cat could sniff (only enough to sniff, not see) he poofed way up, hissed fiercely and bolted. Wouldn't come close to the door for wet food, etc. Flighty and jumpy. I've been encouraging sniffs and limited visual interaction by cracking the door maybe 1/8" - 1/4" and offering wet food at the door crack, and resident cat has chilled a bit. If he catches sight of a kitten, he will still sometimes hiss and sometimes walk away if the kitten has their face smushed up next to the crack, but no over the top reactions.

I let resident cat into the kitten room alone, and while he was initially hesitant, he is comfortable enough to play with me in there. He sometimes approaches the (closed) door cracks to sniff, though often will hiss after a thorough inspection - but still, he's approaching on his own. I don't have a pet gate, so I'm trying to limit interactions to the door crack - The doors, unfortunately, are unable to be seen/sniffed/played under (the touch the carpet) so I open it and hold it at the desired "open-ness" for a bit. Last night I shoved a toy halfway in the crack and all parties seemed content to play with the same toy. Today I had a hiccup by offering a higher value wet food to eat at the door and resident cat got a little food defensive and reacted similarly to his first sniff reaction - So, I'll be moving food back from the door, or offering just his regular dry food. At night, I sit in the kitten room and crack the door, because resident cat seems more willing to investigate (he is my shadow, and very attached to me).

I feel like I'm mostly asking this out of impatience - I know last time, it took nearly 5 full months before our kitten Ori (the current resident cat) was able to roam the house freely, and we've only had these two new girls home for about two weeks. I'm taking it painfully slowly because I don't want to be set back to square 1, or to give Ori a bad experience and ruin the future relationship. I hope at some point in the next coming week(s) to be able to crack the door and leave it cracked like that 24 hours a day for him to choose when to come investigate (it has a door chain, so I can set it to open however much I'd like it to be) but it's still too soon for that, I think. Does it seem like we're on the right track?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds fine to me. I believe Jackson Galaxy recommends the door cracked method, and its certainly logical enough. In terms of your plan for a lengthy slow intro, perhaps your a bit more cautious than I would be with a 3 year old (guessing on that since you said you got the cat 3 years ago), at least in terms of your long term plan. In terms of the current plan, I agree that continuing to go slow until your not getting hissing with the cracked door, or at least very rarely, makes sense. I tend to not recommend an intro of more than 2-3 weeks if things are going reasonably well, but can hardly fault caution, and you are still getting hissing on visual access.

I generally recommend putting them together 24/7 when they are ready, so they can work things out on their own. For me, that would likely be when your no longer getting hissing on sight through the cracked door. At that point, just monitor for a bit and if they do not appear likely to fight, let them do their thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cf24248

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I certainly don't plan to let this time around take 5 months again - last time was a more unique case, because my older cat bad proven that he was cat aggressive to the point of actively hunting and attacking (Not play attacking, going-for-blood attacking) the other cat he lived with prior daily. I wasn't even sure it was going to work at all, but I found the stray kitten at work and wanted to give it a shot - so, we took it ridiculously slow to avoid problems. I'm hoping to get these two newcomers all acquainted within the month - I know Ori wants playmates, something my late cat wasn't very good at (he was a bit of a grump), and these kittens are playful!

Cf24248

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm just terrified of a fight - I've read that one bad introduction can make it so they will never learn to get along, so I'm scared that if I let them interact too soon it'll ruin any future relationship they might have

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just terrified of a fight - I've read that one bad introduction can make it so they will never learn to get along, so I'm scared that if I let them interact too soon it'll ruin any future relationship they might have
Actual fighting is a definite set back and to be avoided. Pretty much anything else they can work through. A little hissing and growling, and even a get away from me swipe or two, is pretty normal when cats first get together even if there has been a good intro process.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No so bad. I've used the "cracked door" method too, and it worked well, even if there was some hissing and bristling.

You could back the food off to a greater distance and work feedings toward the door again as their behaviors get calmer.

Cf24248

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: we found a workaround for the pet gate. We're going to just attach chickenwire to the trim (it needs replaced anyways) and cover it in cardboard so resident cat can hear and smell the newcomers very well. If the doors are entirely shut, he pays them no mind, which doesn't do much for progress. I think being able to hear and smell them without seeing them will do more for progress than cracking the door