Am I keeping the kitten room too hot?

AMay4K

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know kittens can get too cold. I'm wondering about getting too hot. They were born yesterday. I have them in a room that has a window unit with the door shut so the cool air from the rest of the house isn't getting in. Outside temp is a high of 86, humid because rain and storms are coming. Nala, the mother cat, is used to being in our ac. The room is rather warm. I start sweating when I'm in it too long. Is this too warm for Nala? Should I kick the ac on for a little while? Would it be safe for the kittens to get just a little fresh air? Nala seems to be breathing harder than normal but she's been doing that since giving birth. If the hot room is fine for now, then at what temp should I turn the air on for a bit? Opening the door to let in fresh air is not an option because 1 we keep it very cold in the rest of the house and 2 we have dogs, kids, and a male. I'd rather all of them stay out and away from the kittens and mama.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AMay4K

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also,the window unit does have a fan setting. I can always turn it on and well. Just really worried about letting the kittens get too cold.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, turn on the air conditioning, just not too cold. In addition to the heat being too much, your cat may also be panting from lack of calcium. Give her some milk to drink. It will help.

Better yet, buy a can of powdered PetAg kitten formula and give her a dish or two a day. It will replace her calcium and give her good nutrients for nursing. Ten bucks at Walmart for a can. Also, cow’s milk has lactose that can upset her tummy, though a little won’t hurt for today.

How many kittens did she have?

Is your male cat neutered yet?

What happened to the handsome cat in your shed with the hurt paw? Were you able to help him?

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If it’s to hot for you and mom cat is panting it sounds to hot I would turn the air back on You can put a heating pad on low or a hot water bottle coverEd in a towel or blanket That way they can move off of it if it gets too hot

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mother cats do pant up to a week as a way to help their insides return to normal size; however, be alert to signs of distress which can be signals about hypocalcemia (milk fever) or other issues. So, yes!, to the calcium supplements (KMR, high quality kitten food, egg yolk). As long as the kitten nest is draft-free, Nala might enjoy some coolness.

AMay4K

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just now seeing all this. Thank you so much. I ended up turning on the fan after I posted this. I'll kick on the ac for a little while to get it more comfortable for her. Just didn't want to freeze the kittens because she is so close to the ac, it's a small room. She had 3 kittens. Male has a neutering scheduled for next week. Got my male dog neutered last week so had to wait until I could afford it.

AMay4K

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The cat in the shed is still there. He doesn't seem to be doing good. I tried to clean it up and do what I could but I don't think it's the wound hurting him so much. I think the leg is broken, sprained, twisted, something like that. He still cant walk on it even though it looks healed. He's losing weight. He won't eat unless I put it right in front of him. He just lays around when he use dro be an active cat. He's the daddy to most of the strays around here because I see few other males.

Attachments

AMay4K

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
See how he lays the paw to the side like that? It always looks twisted like that. I felt his 2 front legs and the injured one definitely feels off compared to the good leg. I'm not vet or expert though so I can't tell you what's really going on with him

Attachments

Ellis75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The cat in the shed is still there. He doesn't seem to be doing good. I tried to clean it up and do what I could but I don't think it's the wound hurting him so much. I think the leg is broken, sprained, twisted, something like that. He still cant walk on it even though it looks healed. He's losing weight. He won't eat unless I put it right in front of him. He just lays around when he use dro be an active cat. He's the daddy to most of the strays around here because I see few other males.
It sounds like he should really see a vet; is there a humane society, shelter, or rescue around who might be able to take him in or provide funding?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I was thinking the same thing. He’s a beautiful cat. Could you turn him in to a no-kill shelter? They could set his leg, get him on pain meds and antibiotics, get him neutered and vaccinated, and most likely rehomed eventually. I know how much you’ve already done, but I feel so sorry for him to be suffering so much, which he clearly is!

Your new cat family is lovely! :lovecat2:

AMay4K

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The shed cat ran off not long after taking the pic. If he comes back I plan to make some calls and see if someone can help. Anyone know why one of my kittens bellies would be more swollen than the others and why it would be meowing while the others are not?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may have gas colic. Try rubbing his tummy gently and hold him on your shoulder and tap his back, just as you would burp a baby. You can also give him a tiny drop of infants simethicone gas drops.