Am I Just Overly Worried?

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've posted about Athena before, but I'm still a bit concerned about how round her belly is. She's just about 8 months old, and her belly has basically always been like this. It's bigger after eating, and it often feels taut. I took her to a vet to check it out just before she was spayed at the end of August, and he suggested that her digestive tract might be wider than usual (?). We give her pumpkin once in a while, but she has normal poops, a (more than) healthy appetite, and is affectionate and playful. She's less active than her brother, who's nuts, but she's not at all lethargic -- she's just always been a chiller kitty. What do you all think?

IMG_20181208_093326.jpg
IMG_20181208_093606.jpg
IMG_20181208_093706.jpg

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Athena is a lovely lady. :hearthrob: I think you did the right thing by taking her to the vet if her belly concerned you, (better to be safe than sorry). As for her being a chiller kitty this Article may help ease your mind a bit:
Cats As Individuals

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. She looks so sweet! I noticed her paws still look a little big for the rest of her body, so I bet she's got some growing to do yet! Maybe her belly just grew faster than the rest of her - and it will all catch up! As long as she's healthy - who cares?!?!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I'm a worrier by nature. I hope she grows into her belly... But she does love belly rubs, so I think she appreciates the extra surface area!

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure, guys. Her belly is so big and taut. A recent visitor commented that she looks pregnant, but she can't be, since she was spayed at the end of August.

She acts completely fine, eating, pooping, growing, playing, etc...and I don't have a lot of money to spare, so I don't want to bring her into the vet for no reason. (The low-cost, highly-rated one nearby doesn't take CareCredit, but the high-cost, highly-rated one does.) I'm not sure what to do. It just doesn't seem normal to me.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She does look like she still has some growing to do. She might just be getting chubby before she has her growth spurt.
I don't have a lot of money to spare, so I don't want to bring her into the vet for no reason.
Unfortunately the only concrete thing that will be able to tell you if there is something going on with her belly is if you bring her to the vet and tell them to do an ultrasound.

Your first vet visit about her belly did not lower your concerns as they did not look into it further, so this way you can have her checked once and for all and get your mind at ease. It may very well be "for no reason" but if your that worried, no amount of people telling you different will help. Your just going to keep flip flopping between "this is normal" to "this is not right" depending on who's opinion you lean to that day, until she has her growth spurt and slims down (and who knows if that will even happen), or something else happens because your concerns turn out to be something.
Sorry I'm not very helpful, but a distended belly can be nothing or it can be something...testing is the only way to tell FOR SURE.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm starting to get pretty depressed. My partner is out of work right now, so I can't afford an ultrasound, and the vets in my city don't do financing/payment plans.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm starting to get pretty depressed. My partner is out of work right now, so I can't afford an ultrasound, and the vets in my city don't do financing/payment plans.
As hard as it is not to, the more you dwell on this the worse your going to feel. You'll start nit picking every little nuance and drive yourself crazy.
I'm sorry you're so stressed about this, but there really not much else I can say to help.
If she is acting, peeing, pooping, eating, drinking and playing normal. If she seems happy and healthy and not in pain (loving you to pet her belly is a good sign it does not bother her), then just wait it out and try not to worry. In the mean time, start putting away a bit of funds, and have her checked out when you have enough, and by then you may find that she is fine, and you can keep that money aside in case of emergency.
Maybe you can ask for vet funds from family for Christmas this year? (sorry, I'm assuming you celebrate Christmas)

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have good credit (never miss a bill), so I can fall back on my CareCredit card at the expensive vet if necessary, but I honestly have nothing extra to set aside right now. I've never been in this situation before. I don't celebrate Christmas, since my family is Jewish, but I think that I'll be getting some funds from aunts/uncles as late Hanukkah presents, so maybe that'll help.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Do you have a vet universities nearby that might be willing to perform an ultrasound at a discounted rate? Also, you might try checking for rescue centers, animal shelters, or animal care institutions/charities to see if there is any financial support or lesser expensive ultrasound options.

You made a comment about her belly being 'taut' - is it getting tighter than it was before?

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No, it's stayed the same basically the entire time we've had her. It's like she's constantly full.

I'm going to try calling around. I've done a bit of research, and there aren't any vet schools that offer services like that.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Several times (and there were never any worms visible). She's also had several fecal samples analyzed. She and her brother had a mild bout of coccidia a couple months ago, but that has apparently resolved (according to two followup fecals).

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In case anyone's interested, I did bring her to a vet this week (one that's highly-rated, takes Care Credit, and is cheaper than average), and he said she's just a chubby kitten. He could feel adipose, not fluid, and said her kidneys and liver felt great, that she's bright-eyed and well-dispositioned, and that there's no reason to put her or us through any testing.

Unlike most vets I've encountered or heard about on this site, this one specialized in nutrition in veterinary school. He was happy to hear that she and her brother get wet food twice a day in addition to the dry food we leave out while we're at work (long hours), and he was enthusiastic about our attempts to harness train them. We adjusted Athena's diet slightly to ensure that her weight doesn't become a problem as she gets older.

Thanks for the advice, and sorry that I used this board to express my anxieties when there was nothing you all could do. Here are a few recent photos of Athena, who also thinks I'm an overly-anxious mom:

IMG_20181231_150032.jpg
IMG_20181219_213639.jpg
IMG_20181224_225303.jpg
IMG_20190103_212456.jpg

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the advice, and sorry that I used this board to express my anxieties when there was nothing you all could do. Here are a few recent photos of Athena, who also thinks I'm an overly-anxious mom:
Please don't feel you have to apologize, that's what we're here for, i.e. help and support. You're definitely not the first and you won't be the last member who is anxious about their cat. :wink: I'm glad to hear your vet was so accommodating. Thanks for the pics of Athena, she's absolutely adorable. :lovecat4:

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear she is happy and healthy :) I'm a bit late to the conversation, but seeing her earlier pictures made me think that she might be a bit bloated. Does she fart at all? You could play around with her food and see if there is anything in it that is causing her to bloat.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Please don't feel you have to apologize, that's what we're here for, i.e. help and support. You're definitely not the first and you won't be the last member who is anxious about their cat. :wink: I'm glad to hear your vet was so accommodating. Thanks for the pics of Athena, she's absolutely adorable. :lovecat4:
Thank you. :redheartpump:

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear she is happy and healthy :) I'm a bit late to the conversation, but seeing her earlier pictures made me think that she might be a bit bloated. Does she fart at all? You could play around with her food and see if there is anything in it that is causing her to bloat.
No, she doesn't, and the vet didn't think she was either. He says it's just some chubbiness. But I do give her some plain pumpkin just in case. She loves it! She licks it right off the spoon.