Am I feeding my 5 months old kitten well enough?

krystalp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

I got my kitten, James, when he was 3 months and he is now 5 months (probably 5-6 lbs)  He came from fleas and worms  and we had some behavioral issues in the beginning, but he is now healthy and happy.  Since it's really my first kitten, I want to make sure I am feeding him enough as I know kittens need much more than an adult cat.

The family he came from fed him adult dry cat food so when I got him at 3 months I started feeding him Blue Buffalo dry kitten food, which he likes. His bowl is filled with dry food at all times. After about a week I started bringing wet food into the mix, I tried a few different brands but mostly fed him the blue buffalo kitten wet food (1-2 small cans a day).

A few weeks ago I switched brands to the Weruva (a variety of all their different lines). I was hesitant to give him food that wasn't specially made for kittens but after some research, it seems this brand is healthier than blue buffalo and they say it's fine for kittens since it's for all life stages. I give him 1 3oz can in the morning, and 1 in the evening. I know Weruva is lower calories, but since James also has dry food available to him all the time, I am hoping this is enough food? Should I not be feeding him this brand until he is an adult? Any thoughts or advice is welcome!

destinyz12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As you saw in my post, I am in a similar position with feeding.  Has your kitten been neutered yet?  Mine is getting spayed in a couple of weeks and a lot of people on here, and apparently some vets actually recommend starting to introduce adult food after that because their metabolism starts to slow down a bit, to avoid gaining unwanted weight.....but at the same time just as many people recommend keeping them on kitten food till a year old when they are fully grown for extra nutrition.  Based on all of that info, I've decided on a compromise of keeping her on dry kitten food, and introducing adult wet food once she has the procedure done.  As for worrying about calorie intake with the weruva- I think as long as he's getting enough calories from the dry food (assuming its kitten version) it should be ok. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think he'll be just fine on the combination you're feeding him. So long as he's growing and thriving you have nothing to worry about ;) If you're concerned, why not feed a range of wet foods on rotation? Many members here (myself included) feed several brands of wet food in rotation, and it works very well :)

Don't second guess yourself - It sounds like you're doing great :bigthumb: James is lucky to have such a devoted mom :D

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't matter about kitten vs adult food. As long as the ingredients are good. I notice some brands will have more fillers for adult food and less filler for kitten because they are in the growing stage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krystalp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
James is getting neutered in a couple weeks as well, I will ask the vet her thoughts on the food too. I will throw some brands in the wet food mix here and there too. Thanks for the help!