Am I doing this right?

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
pinkman here!

Well Lox is officially on all raw. She gets 3 ounces of chicken, turkey, or rabbit as of now, with 500mg of krill oil everyday. I've also just received my second Hare-Today shipment which included chicken, turkey, rabbit, duck, and mutton. She also eat Stella & Chewy's freeze-dried raw on those days I forget to defrost her meals. 

I do have a question though. It's about treats, actually. I just want to make sure her meals are not unbalanced. Basically for treats/snacks- this is what I do:

Everyday, one chicken gizzard or a piece (1/4 to 1/3) of a chicken neck (close to an ounce? probably less. mostly for dental reasons I do this.) One day of the week I give her a whole egg yolk. On days I give her an egg yolk I do not give her a gizzard or a piece of neck.

Everyday close to bedtime I'll give her two pieces of freeze-dried treats broken up into her puzzle box. Freeze-dried treats can be chicken breast, chicken leg, turkey hearts, or duck hearts.

Am I over-killing with the treats and snacks? Should I cut down? What do ya'll think?

Any input I'd appreciate.

Thanks!

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The amount...I'm no help with. But I can add to your list of treats! I give my crew canned sardines packed in water.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Canned sardines were not a hit with Lox unfortunately. I think it might be the texture... I'm going to purchase some dehydrated sardines from the Japanese grocer so I can make some broth with it, but I'll probably give her some occasionally too. Not sure if the Omega-3 is retained during the dehydration process though.

I feel like I should be cutting down the treats and snacks but I have a hard time saying no when she looks at me.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about just giving her attention? Playing with her?

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do play with her, about two to three times a day for 15 minutes. Should have mentioned that, my bad. 
 Maybe I should increase the amount of ground instead? Just for clarification, I don't give anymore than what I mentioned in the original post, snacks and treats included. My concern is if I keep this regimen up, will the diet be unbalanced or not. Thanks. 

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How does her weight look? If she looks good and has energy then I'd say you're on the right track.

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Her weight is fine. Not too skinny, not chubby at all. She has a nice waist, but she's not all bones. She seems happy.

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about the treats if her weight is okay.  My three have me trained to dispense freeze dried treats at bedtime.  As soon as I make a move toward the bedroom....I look like the Pied Piper with 3 cats chasing me.  Treat time is in the bedroom because the treats are in my underwear drawer....only place in the house Gideon can't get into....lol.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If your total treats are less than 15% of total diet, then you don't really need to worry about it being unbalanced. If it's more, then you need to start thinking about it. The snacks you feed are all healthy, so as long as she is not gaining weight, I wouldn't worry about it.