Am I Doing The Right Thing?

chinacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My neighbours have a 6 month old kitten who has only started to go outside. He is exceptionally friendly & I always make a big fuss of him. Today he was left outside for what I feel was an excessively long period of time for such a small cat. He was cold, wet & very hungry. I fed him. He has come inside for a nosey before & I've discouraged him. Today he was so ravenous I couldn't bear to deny him some food. I feel guilty though, I wouldn't be happy if someone was feeding my cats without my knowledge. Am I doing the right thing looking out for him? It's hard to see this small, trusting cat sat on my windowsill & not respond. My neighbours do seem to love him very much, I feel like I'm undermining them but he was so hungry today.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If I were your neighbor I would be grateful for what you did and ashamed for leaving my kitten outside like that. Anyway, I think you should just nicely tell your neighbor what happened. Maybe even politely suggest they get a cat flap so their cat can go indoors when necessary. 

maddies momma

TCS member, Crazy Cat Lady!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for looking out for this poor kitty. If he really was cold and hungry then i dont think there is anything wrong with helping him out. You should talk to your neighbors and find out their side of the story. If they really care about the cat then they should be willing to make changes in their treatment of it. You will be able to tell how much they care just by talking to them. If they really seem to love him then i wouldnt worry about him to much. But if they dont seem to care at all then i would definitely keep taking care of him. Also it would be good to make sure he is not on a strict diet or have any food allergies if you are feeding him. Good luck and thanks for caring. Also I know he is not your responsibility but if he is not neutered and they are letting him out then he may start getting himself into a lot of trouble.