Am I Crazy For Even Considering This?

buddybellamom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Kit is 11 mos old now. We always meant to get her a playmate, but real life and illnesses etc. got in the way. A co-worker is possibly looking to re-home two cats the same age as my Kit. These two are brother/sister siblings, not related to my girl at all. They are fixed, they're up to date on shots, they are 100% indoor...

Reason for re-home: these kitties were found in a dumpster by the woman's son, soon after she had to put down her senior dog. Son thought this would help his Mom with the loss. But the couple (husband is my co-worker) are really at heart "dog people" and now the wife wants to get a puppy. Last year at the time they got the kitties and were unsure if they were going to keep them, I told him I would definitely be interested. Then they decided to keep them and I got my girl Kit.

My hubs and kids are seriously interested in this kitties if they are to be re-homed.....BUT: what might that do to my girl? Bringing home one might be difficult in and of itself from what I am reading here -- but 2??

Sorry for such a long post, but any thoughts?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It all depends on the personalities of the cats. Usually they can manage to work things out and co-exist or even all like each other's company.

I adopted two 8-month old brother cats after losing my two oldest senior cats over 6 months, and still had a 10-year old survivor cat. The 10-year old was very lonely losing the buddies he had grown up with, but did not like the "new kids on the block" for a couple of weeks (he tried to keep them from using the cat litter boxes). They all ended up getting along splendidly after some time to adjust.

At the time, I didn't know anything about slow introductions. That information would have helped, even though their adjustment period was fairly short.

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm no expert, but we've brought several kitties into our home with older cats - never same-age ones though. Most of the time the older cats have been fine with the younger ones, after the initial growling, spitting, getting to know you phase. The only exception is Laelia, who's never liked any cat we've brought in after her, and isn't fond of us humans either.

I'll bet there are posts about how to bring new kitties into the family.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since your cat is still really young, only 11 months, I don't think the intros will take very long. I'm sure Kit would enjoy having a couple other cats, especially her own age and therefore similar energy level, to play with. If the cat was 11 years, yeah that might cause some issues since she would be set in there ways, use to being an only cat, and be more resistant to newcomers.

Just make sure you take the intros slow don't rush it, put the new guys in a separate room at first, have short supervised visits until they stop with the hissing, stuff like that, and you should be fine.