Am I Bombay?

karl0528

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am 8-weeks old, I have a long tail for a cat my age, I like to talk to my owners very very often, and I follow them around as much as possible since I love attention. I am all black with black whiskers and the bottoms of my paws are also all black. Mommy thinks I'm a Bombay but daddy is skeptical. Thoughts?

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aww, he's a cute wee man! He's unlikely to be Bombay unless you got him from a breeder though. The Bombays are supposed to have copper eyes and a rounder face. He's still lovely though, and sounds like a character!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karl0528

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. I tried to capture her eyes as best as I could but she does have the copper tinge in her eye color. Do you think she is just a typical American short hair? It doesn't matter much to me since I'm happy that she is a healthy cat with a great personality but I do look forward to reading your responses!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She's gorgeous! I'm having the same debate over a cat I've just rescued. Your pics aren't quite clear enough to give a definitive answer. From her character I'd say that she's got the traits of an oriental breed. If she's not purebred she's certainly got a lot of bombay or burmese in her.

I agree that it's really hard to capture their eye quality and colour accurately. I think you mystery need special lighting and a degree in photography to do them justice :lol:

She sounds like a real sweetheart whatever her breeding :)

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been researching this. The fact is that no cat can be described as a single breed unless it has a pedigree from a breeder. Anything else is guesswork, albeit educated guesses.

I think you're in the same position as me...character and look indicate a strong likelihood of bombay or burmese ancestry but that's as far as you can go. At best, your gorgeous cat is a bombay mix or a burmese mix (remember bombay is American or British shorthair crossed with burmese...and the two different crosses are recognised as two distinct breeds, but their names get confusing :lol: ).

Hope that brings some clarity. Just to join in, here's a pic of my Asha (bear in mind she's a rescue and at least 2 lb underweight )

vinniez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Was wondering the same with mine..he sleeps under the covers with me...very affectionate...loves to talk it up...very mellow. He is very active. All black..short hair very sheeny coat. Yellowish eyes...black paw pads..awesome cat. My guess is american short hair. What do you guys think. He is a one in a million cat...personality is off the charts. And he is absolutley the cuddliest cat ever!

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, This makes me wonder about Mazie (my avitar). Mazie is pure black as you can see, with very bronze colored eyes. Her size is small for an adult female. Do not know her weight, but she is very petite. I always wondered about her having Bombay or Burmese in her. But, she probably is a mix of one or the other, as explained earlier by some of our experts. Interesting to get a little clarification on this. She was a feral, like all mine, so at least I do not need to be concerned now that she is a "purebred". Oh and sorry, I am at work, cannot post at this time additional pictures

Last edited by a moderator: