Am I being ridiculous or simply over-emotional?

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I lost the love of my life (LomL). He died in hospital, but I had been fortunate to be able to spend the last 48 hours of his life with him in his hospital room.

Life hadn’t always been easy living with LomL – 15 happy, busy years followed by 10 years in which he refused to leave the house, rejected professional help and, although still able to hold an intelligent conversation, retreated more and more into his own world. The past 14 months he has been living in a care home but with countless days spent at various hospitals. But he loved me till the end and, although, since his illnesses, his relations were pressing him to go back to his hometown, he always refused.

I have been visiting him almost daily but, apart from his brother in America, during our entire lifetime together we haven’t even seen any of his family. He hadn’t bothered visiting his hometown since 1984 when his older brother died.

His closest family consists of 2 brothers – one in USA, whom I met once when he was lecturing in Germany, a kind and understanding man. The younger brother has always lived in their hometown in Germany about 5 hours away from here. He lives alone and has no family. Even when we were staying only a short distance away in Hamburg neither LomL nor his brother made the effort to meet either in Hamburg or in their hometown. His sister-in-law, nephew and niece live in other towns in Germany, all separated by many hours of driving.

And now to the funeral. LomL is not religious he never wanted a grave in a cemetery. A sea burial perhaps or a spot in my garden with the deceased cats – but that’s not allowed in this strange country. We never married; his brothers are his heirs. I have no problem with that – though he’s not poor! But I do have a problem with the fact that his younger brother (no children) wants to take his remains back to their hometown for burial. He is searching for a suitable place and hopes for my approval, expecting me to attend the funeral.

For me it is bad enough losing someone whom I’ve been living with for nearly 25 years, but I can’t face a proper funeral with strangers so far away. I would prefer to continue believing that he is near me and perhaps make my own shrine. My family would support me and I don’t need his remains to do that. I don’t want to experience having to attend a show of celebrating his departure and watching him being buried in a strange town and place so far away where I’ve never been before. They can do that in my absence and I can keep my dreams.

Naturally, if things were entirely up to me, he would have a tree burial locally where I would join him when it came to my turn. The brother and his wife in America would support me there but perhaps “family” – even if it is a frustrated old bachelor - must get his way.

Sorry for the vent – at least I’ve stopped crying writing all this down. But I still feel very sad. I have tried to explain how I feel but some decision will have to be made by Wednesday and my strength is running out. Clearing out his room at the care home, coping with the staff there so obviously begging for money, when the only thank-you presents allowed are home-made or home-baked items which would be unkind to refuse. Why is life so complicated?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I am so sorry. I remember your posts when he first went to the hospital and then the care center. It has all been so difficult for you. It may help to have a heart to heart conversation with his family, if you haven’t already, about how you are feeling, what you would prefer and what you think he wanted. They may be stepping in because they feel they have to. Is the family dead set on a funeral or do you think they would consider cremation? That would at least allow you to share the ashes and he could rest in several places.

If that Is not the case, I wouldn’t feel you had to travel to his funeral. You could just have a simple service near you in honoring him and your life together.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry. You aren't being ridiculous or over emotional, you are grieving.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss and for the fact that some members of his family have made this painful time even more difficult for you. I don’t think that you are in anyway being irrational or demanding in your request.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My heartfelt sympathies go out to you. I'm very sorry for your loss and the interference of some family members as to what your partner would have wanted. Perhaps you can have a memorial with your family and friends that is more meaningful for you. Sending special thoughts and hugs. :hugs:

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry gilmargl gilmargl Do you think if you explained how much this means to you the other brother and his wife could talk to the younger one? Do they both have an equal right to decide what happens, or does one brother have power of attorney?

What ever happens you could still plant a tree in your garden and make a little shrine for him.

:hugs:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry but you are feeling as anyone would.💝💖💞

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
gilmargl gilmargl I'm so sorry for your loss. You grieve in your own way and I'm sure that he would understand; you should not have to attend a funeral if you don't wish to do so. By all means, talk to the brothers and tell them his thoughts on a funeral and such; they may listen to you since you were together for such a long time. I like the idea of planting a tree in his honor. Sending you many hugs. I am sorry.