Am I Applying Topic Flea Treatment Incorrectly?

CharlieandBuster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have used Advantage II topical flea treatment for my cats, but they are still scratching (not as much as before) from time to time. I am concerned as to whether or not I am doing this incorrectly.

I part the fur until I see skin and then place the open tip to the skin and slowly squeeze the pouch empty (it usually takes about 1 minute). That sounds about right from the instructions; however, it seems to run and leave a wet spot on their backs as if the treatment just got soaked up by the fur. I am concerned that the cats' skin isn't soaking up the treatment so it can spread and be effective.

Any help would be greatly appreciated here. Thank you.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to have the same problem. Now I part the fur and put a drop on the skin in numerous areas close together on the back of the neck. That way less is absorbed by the fur.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A minute!? I have to do it in a seconds or less, my cats are like greyhounds from the gate when they feel the liquid! It sound like you are doing it more than right. I always say get it up high enough, I start way up almost right under between the ears. It only took one time of watching my cat race around foaming from the mouth and going crazy to make SURE they can't lick it. Some of my cats can reach amazingly high up on their backs. The best way to see if it is effective is to look at their abdomen, right where their back legs join the body. The hair is thin here and fleas love to hide out. You can easily see them there. The treatment does get absorbed up into the hair, but that is normal, it will get absorbed into the skin too. It always leaves a 'oily' patch that disappears after a few days.