Am I a bad cat mom?

albiepocket

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please bare with me; I think I suck.

I have two cats, Albie and Pocket (both are 5 years old). They have always had dirty ears. They have been to the vet, who has cleaned them out, but never given me any kind of medicine, saying it was allergies. But they are really dirty, and they keep getting dirty.

I recently bought some Zymox cleaner (the larger bottle, not the small medicated one). I have been using it as directed (2 times a week), and have noticed even more wax than usual. I looked on the web, and found people saying that this was normal due to the wax loosening and coming out of the ear. The almighty internet told me to just clean the wax from the ear.

Here's wear I suck: I thought that meant clean OUT the ear. So I got some Q-tips (you see where this is going), and I used them to clean Albie and Pocket's ears. Including inside the canal.

I didn't think anything of it, but then I read that You Absolutely Should Not Do That! I feel horrible!! Not to mention very stupid. Obviously you shouldn't stick anything in a cat's ear! I don't know why I didn't think it.

Albie and Pocket seem okay, if a little miffed at me. I looked at the ears, and I don't see blood or discharge or anything like that. But did I do them damage? I certainly didn't put the Q-tip down deep enough to touch the eardrums, but I'm terrified that I hurt them or broke their little ears!

I'm new to this pet owning thing (Albie and Pocket are my first pets as a solo adult), and I think I suck at it? Am I a bad cat mom?

Thanks for any help/advice you can give me!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm new to this pet owning thing (Albie and Pocket are my first pets as a solo adult), and I think I suck at it? Am I a bad cat mom?
First, welcome to TCS! :welcomesign: Second, we don't think you're a bad cat mom at all. As you said you're a new pet parent and we've all learned from our mistakes when we were in your shoes. The mere fact that you feel bad shows you are a caring and compassionate person. Besides you've joined the best cat site with the most knowledgeable and helpful members so you can't possibly go wrong. :)

For clarification purposes, did your vet mean environmental allergies or food allergies?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

albiepocket

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First, welcome to TCS! :welcomesign: Second, we don't think you're a bad cat mom at all. As you said you're a new pet parent and we've all learned from our mistakes when we were in your shoes. The mere fact that you feel bad shows you are a caring and compassionate person. Besides you've joined the best cat site with the most knowledgeable and helpful members so you can't possibly go wrong. :)

For clarification purposes, did your vet mean environmental allergies or food allergies?
Thank you for your kind words of support! You made me feel a lot better.

Environmental. I did switch their food (for other reasons - found a brand I and they like better) but the ears stayed dirty. The vet basically explained it as being similar to seasonal allergies in humans. I was worried maybe it was a dust allergy, but no matter how much I vacuum, they still have dirty ears. No other symptoms, either. I do catch them scratching their ears from time to time, but I think that's because of the ear wax? But it isn't all the time. I just notice them scratch their ears from time to time and think 'I wonder if they are itchy because they are dirty.'

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
A cat's ear canal is actually L shaped unlike ours which is straight so unless the qtip broke or bent at a 90 degree angle it is unlikely you did any damage.

I still wouldn't recommend using qtips for this but a cotton ball on the outside is fine unless they have an ear infection and require drops.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
:)No, you were just trying to help them. But no more q-tips in their ears! One of my cats has had ear issues since she was a kitten - constant wax build up, etc. - and she is an indoor cat. It happens. Some are more prone to it, just like some people. Don't beat yourself up. Leave the deep cleaning to the vet.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I clean my cat's ears out with a Q tip every now and then. I don't probe too far down in the ear, just swabbing the visible parts.

A cotton ball is a safer alternative and keeps you from going too deep. There are liquid cleaners and wipes for cat ears you can buy at a pet store.

Normal cat ear wax is a sort of light honey color. Some cats may have more than others.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! NOPE, not a bad cat mom, and now you won't be making this mistake again...even though it would be unlikely to harm a cat's eardrum like that (see above diagram). Look, we all make mistakes. Every one of us. Even those of us who have been handling cats for YEARS make mistakes. We all have those, "OH SPIT! I can't believe I did that" moments. Welcome to humanity! What we care about is that you care about your cats! And that you want to learn. And that, my New Friend, makes you a Good Cat Mom!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

albiepocket

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:)No, you were just trying to help them. But no more q-tips in their ears! One of my cats has had ear issues since she was a kitten - constant wax build up, etc. - and she is an indoor cat. It happens. Some are more prone to it, just like some people. Don't beat yourself up. Leave the deep cleaning to the vet.
Thank you for your nice words and guidance! They seem to be over the trauma as they are snuggled on either side of me right now. So they can't be too upset at me.

No more Q-tips, I promise!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd be willing to bet my next Social Security that you didn't. Ear drum injuries are PAINFUL! There would be pawing, and meowing or yowling, and shaking of heads, and general upheaval. One of the most Stoic cats I've ever known, and cats are famed for not showing pain, went berserk following an ear drum rupture.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My vet once told me that if you can still see the fluffy part of the Q tip in the cat's ear, which means that you are not even into part 2, you did not do any damage.