Always bringing all my cats to the vet, what do you think?

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i read something about redirected aggression and got scared, so I decided to always bring all of my cats to wet visits including spays and nuter.
That can get pretty heavy but it’s worth extra work. Usually I enlist my husband to help but then there were occasions when I did it by my self.
Yesterday one of boys needed a ear exam so, of we went. I usually keep them in the car until it’s time for exam. The ‘chosen one’ gets pulled out of the basket and the other two look in terror!! The chosen one usually plays possum until its done and when put back all of them look like deer in the headlights. Back in the car and home we go. Everyone gets the treats on the way back not that it makes much difference they do eat it,but…
Once home I open the basket and leave them alone. I swear to you they come out and kiss the ground lol. They probably exchange the story s about buggy man and wicked lady and go about they merry way. I’m hoping that I’m doing right there????

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know with rabbits it's recommended to take them together. I have heard of people who do it with cats and dogs too. If it's working for you and your family then keep doing it. I tend to just take the one who needs to go and haven't had trouble even if someone has to stay in the hospital for a few days.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that tactic works for some cat families and not for others. If you take one you might end up with non recognition aggression, but if you take them all you might end up with them all being stressed and therefore hissy with one another or you afterward. And some cats are more fragile or easily stressed about carriers than others and I would hate to put them through that unnecessarily.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
For things like routine checkups and shots I take both my cats at once simply because it's easier to make 1 trip and get it over with. My cats have separate crates and get buckled into the back seat of the car.

Honestly neither cat is bothered by the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think that tactic works for some cat families and not for others. If you take one you might end up with non recognition aggression, but if you take them all you might end up with them all being stressed and therefore hissy with one another or you afterward. And some cats are more fragile or easily stressed about carriers than others and I would hate to put them through that unnecessarily.
I have periodically, their carrier out in the living room. To them it’s a game of pile in the basket, who is the last in. I will find them sleeping in. One in ten times that carrier is out they will actually leave the house. The rest is pure fun for them. They will actually wait in line to get their time, lol.