Alternatives To Flax Seed/pumpkin For Anal Gland Issues?

kttn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cat has anal gland issues and needs 1/4 teaspoon of flax seed every meal to firm up her stools enough to express the glands. She's getting very tired of the taste of flax and is starting to reject her wet food when it is mixed in. She did the same thing with pumpkin.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can try next?

J. A. Vann

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cat has anal gland issues and needs 1/4 teaspoon of flax seed every meal to firm up her stools enough to express the glands. She's getting very tired of the taste of flax and is starting to reject her wet food when it is mixed in. She did the same thing with pumpkin.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can try next?
Not sure if flax seed is very good for cats or any animal! I was told to use ground flax seed to lower cholesterol & that it did not to firm up bowel movements, it does the exact opposite! My Endocrinologist says it’s supposed to “clean you out”! I used it one time & was, to put it nicely, in the bathroom for 2 days! So as far as firming up stool, it’s not good for that! I had a dog with that problem & kept taking him to the vet to express them finally he suggested we have them removed & that took care of everything. It was getting so bad that the poor dog would get infections & fistulas! We had to squeeze anti-biotic ointment into the fistulas & that was awful! But the dog was glad for the relief! It’s basically the same for cats only they don’t seem to cooperate to well! If your vet suggested the flax seed it should be ground otherwise it can cause rectal damage in the firm of cuts. If it’s roughage the cat needs try to see if he will nibble on a carrot. Talk to your vet about having them removed. It sounds awful but it’s worth it in the long run to keep the cat comfortable! Or try feeding more dry food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kttn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was told to use ground flax seed to lower cholesterol & that it did not to firm up bowel movements, it does the exact opposite!
that's definitely odd, multiple vets have recommended ground flaxmeal for this issue. it works great, it firms her right up and helps her express her glands in the litterbox.

the issue is that she's getting sick of the taste and and not finishing her meals anymore. the surgery is quite invasive and serious and i'd like to avoid it through maintenance unless it worsens (infection etc)

i guess i'd consider switching back to a low carb high fiber dry if it exists... not ideal but this is becoming a huge hassle.

J. A. Vann

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
that's definitely odd, multiple vets have recommended ground flaxmeal for this issue. it works great, it firms her right up and helps her express her glands in the litterbox.

the issue is that she's getting sick of the taste and and not finishing her meals anymore. the surgery is quite invasive and serious and i'd like to avoid it through maintenance unless it worsens (infection etc)

i guess i'd consider switching back to a low carb high fiber dry if it exists... not ideal but this is becoming a huge hassle.
I can’t blame your kitty for getting tired of the taste! It’s not so good! I hope you find a solution for your cats sake! I just remember what we went through w/our dog! Actually the dog had no problem w/the surgery at all, it’s like hemroids in humans. But it was a last resort for us! The dog was a show dog & those glands would swell up at the worst times & often! Good luck!!