Alternatives To Cat Lax??? A Laxative

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cat Lax is a laxative for cats, the vet has said to give to my 17yo male cat.
I am having an extremely challenging time giving it to him directly. It has to be forced to give it to him, then he is skittish towards me for days, weeks. I have been successful twice in 2 months.

I have found VERY slightly coating Temptions snacks with cat lax, will work for him, But that is only a tiny amount of Cat Lax he is getting. Also, sometimes he will turn his nose up at the slightly coated snacks .

Is this a food alternative for helping him with constipation issues?
I can likely get a prescription food if needed.

Incidentally, i bought one of those water fountains 3 weeks ago, he is absolutely drinking more water every day. They work. I am going to say he is now getting more than enough water every day. Plus he eats 1 to 2 cats of wet food every day.

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ask the vet about using Miralax. There are generic versions of the product sold under other names as well. You dissolve the powder in some water and then mix it into canned food. It's undetectable to cats. A cat dose is tiny, 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon once or twice a day. The vet will tell you the dose to give to your cat.

Canned pumpkin puree can also help with constipation but some cats don't like it.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on how you want to approach this.

Miralax will bring water into stool but it won't add stool bulk. If his stools are already of a good size but he's just having trouble passing them, then Miralax is probably the way to go here.

If the stools are too small to trigger the "gotta poop" signal, then they can back up and dry out becoming difficult and painful to pass. If you need to add bulk to the stools, add psyllium to his food.

Pumpkin is a hybrid approach. It will add both moisture and bulk. But many cats don't like the taste.

Finally, if you just need to clean him out good like a stubborn hairball that won't pass, you can give him 1 tsp raw egg yolk (not the white.) This will make the ingested fat more water soluble. It will make a runny mess of the litterbox but it will clean him out. It will take 12-24 hours to work its way through. This is more like a Liquid Plumbr approach to cleaning your cat's pipes and not something I recommend for maintenance use. It will compromise his nutrient absorption over long-term use because it is speeding up transit time. You run the (dis)assembly line faster and you will get a drop in quality as each (intenstinal) worker gets less time with the food/digest.