Alternative to Litter Genie?

franny1949

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - GOOD NEWS !!!    I was considering buying Litter Genie but decided not to after reading how expensive replacement bags are, etc.

Have five cats - all adult rescues.  Three litter boxes in basement - pew !!   Also three upstairs.

Bought a really cute little stainless steel "garbage pail" with handle and lid at Bed Bath & Beyond couple days ago - its an OGGI Stainless Steel Counter Top Compost Pail - 3.8 liter = 128 oz.  Box says "specially designed lid with built-in charcoal filter provides for odor-free use for months.  Also included an extra charcoal filter in the box.  So you get the handled pail with lid and two carbon filters.  Cost  was $29.99 - with 20% coupon, paid about $24.

Worth every penny - I line it with a plastic handled bag from the supermarket - remove lid, hold handled pail - chuck the clumps.,  then put lid back on - voila !!   Since it's so new, I'm guessing it'll hold a couple days worth, then I'll trash the waste and insert a new bag - SO FAR, NO ODOR :)  !!!  - what a relief - smell from basement used to permeate my kitchen - UGH ...  SO HAPPY with the OGGI  - besides, didn't want a big container with lots of old poopies sitting around for days.    Hope this is helpful !!

abbeys mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you have a Dollar Tree near you, they sell the stickups. Ours does anyway.

I can get a good deal on the diaper genie, with one refill for $5.00. I think I am going to try that.

If it doesn't work for cat litter bags, I'll resell it.. :)

kcpaull

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 7 cats inside and also am fostering 6 kittens on my porch. I have both the Litter Genie and the Lucky Champ Litter disposal system. I prefer the Litter Genie as it keeps the smell under control better and I find it easier to put the clumps into the Litter Genie.  However, the bags make my garbage so heavy, it's hard for me to lift them when I take them to the local dump. We don't have garbage collection out here in the boondocks. I try to buy the refills when they are on sale, but that is rare.  One thing I had thought about trying, since two of our litter boxes are in the laundry room, was to get one of the step top trash cans and put used dryer sheets over each dumping to help keep the smell down. I don't know if it will work, but it's worth a try.

njfrese

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is a great hack posted on www.instructables.com:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Litter-Genie-refill-hack/

It will save you lots of money in refills. The Litter Genie is okay, but to me, it's just too darned small. If you have more than one cat, forget about it. It really isn't even big enough for one cat. But it does appear to work well in small situations. I am going to try some of the other ideas suggested herein.

dexnjan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have the Litter Genie and find that tying the bag with small cable ties works very well and saves lots of bag material than tying knots to clse the ends.

kcpaull

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm to the point now, with 15 cats who use litter boxes, I have to empty the little genies (I have four) at least once a week. It's breaking my back taking them to the trash collection site. Who knew 8 kittens could generate that much waste?

lissa15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been trying to decide on the little champ, its most promising feature was the magnetic scoop, but it no longer comes with that. Or getting another litter genie. I did not like the fact that the litter Genie refills were so expensive and the way you have to carry it, eventually loosens the button that snaps the lid shut. I'll figure it out eventually lol. I did want to mention however that I have discovered when using the litter genie, you can use 13 gallon trash bags, just put them down into the base and fold the top over the top edges and shut the lid. You get a lot more of these for your money.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use this

I use the forever tray and use crystal litter to save on refills. Works if your cat doesnt have loose stools.