Alternative To Instinct Canned For Ibd Kitty

Bliss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

My IBD girl loves Instinct chicken, it’s one of the few canned foods she will eat, but the clay in it constipates her.

I was just wondering if anyone knows of a similar canned food that might entice her? Without too many gums etc? I’ve tried a variety of things but this is the only food she’ll readily gobble up.

Alternatively is there something I could do to keep the clay from backing her up? She won’t eat the food with pumpkin mixed in and she’s taking probiotics.

Any other food recommendations are welcomed. I’ve tried home cooked, Honest Kitchen and a ton of canned options but I’m always hopeful someone will know of one I’ve yet to try.

Thanks so much!

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have access to the Rawz brand? That one is basically LID even though it’s not labeled. There is also First Mate (the brand is also called Kasiks) and they don’t have any gums either. Both would be really good for IBD. I did not check if there is clay in them though.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I'm not a vet, but would Miralax, and increased exercise help? If you haven't already, can you put more water bowls out in interesting locations, with filtered water (not only for safety but also possibly for better taste)?

Just to mention, I'm assuming that you're familiar with the IBDkitties . net site, and had a chance to look at this post, where anti-nausea meds, probiotics and evening snacks are discussed;

Any Advice For Ibs?

Maybe something here would help:

CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

Pet Food Guide

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bliss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions and the links!

She’s my third IBD kitty but the first picky eater I’ve had. I’m trying to keep her diet as clean as possible as I can since she wasn’t eat the home cooked. I wish she could eat the instinct no problem because she loves it and I like the ingredient list. She does get weekly B12 injections as well.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second the Miralax suggestion. Pumpkin would add stool bulk but that’s what the clay is doing. Miralax will bring more water into the stool making it easier to pass. Maybe a little (1/8 tsp?) olive oil or fish oil to help lubricate the clay’s passage. Like a pat of butter for a constipated kitty but something you can do on a daily or per meal basis.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
KarenKat KarenKat already mentioned Rawz, which is very good food, and our cats would recommend Feline Natural chicken/lamb, which they like. It also has no gums.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tommy's on a raw diet that I make at home, and even with lower bone content I still have to sprinkle Miralax on his food.
All that's in it is skinned whole rabbit, boneless turkey thigh, lite salt, fish oil, vit B and E, taurine, water.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

jennytuxedo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an ibd cat who was on Stella & Chewy's freeze dried raw first but really does not like the reconstituted food so now he is eating Vital Essentials freeze dried raw which he eats dry and which he likes but only the chicken and he loves their treats. He was on B12 shots weekly which were great but now only monthly. The raw food has been wonderful as his dreadful poops have totally disappeared and now he has normal small formed stools and his coat is shiny as are his eyes and he is 18. But he does not gain back any of the weight he lost while sorting out what was wrong and he was thought to have EPI initially. I need to help him re-gain the weight he lost.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about Dr. Elsey's canned? No clay and not too much gum. We feed the chicken and turkey.

Nblonder

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you have a recipe for homecooked with proper nutrients? I'm looking to try that out with my IBD kitty Sammy.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the site, N Nblonder !

Have you already taken a look at the raw and home-cooked food subforum? It's here: Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food

You might want to start a thread of your own there asking about recipes/supplements and mentioning whatever ingredients you know cause problems for your cat. There are lots of options and lots of people with experience making various kinds of food.