Alternative to D-Mannose?

Nicole S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats (both of my cats are females, 14 years old, and, both have hyperthyroid which we treat with transdermal methimazole), has recently had a UTI. She was on liquid compounded amoxycillin for two weeks and that cleared the UTI. But, I want to give her something to prevent future UTI's. I've tried D-Mannose a couple of times in the last few months. But, I noticed that it gave her diarrhea (the other kitty seems to have no reaction to it). I tried giving her a 1/4 teaspoon dose per day, she got diarrhea. So, I reduced the dose to 1/8 teaspoon, still diarrhea. I am wondering if I should give up on the D mannose, since, if I have to keep reducing the dose, will she be getting enough to do any good?

I found this product on Amazon that I would like to try. I did a quick search of the ingredients, specifically, the couch grass and bearberry to make sure that there would be no issues or danger for cats. I didn't immediately find anything that made me think those ingredients would be a problem. I'd love if any of you might have thoughts on the safety of this product's ingredients. Hopefully, it will help to prevent UTI's. Having my kitty on an antibiotic is not a fun scenario. Amazon.com

AMAZON.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I searched this site but didn't find anything specific to this particular product. I do know there are some members who give their cats marshmallow root for bladder health, and I think pain relief from urinary tract issues. I have heard about couch grass, but that is about it and there was nothing on this site about that either. Cranberry extract is a less potent version of D-Mannose, so maybe it wouldn't be as inclined to give your cat diarrhea.

Wish I could help more and hope other members will come along soon with some of their own ideas.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nicole S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I searched this site but didn't find anything specific to this particular product. I do know there are some members who give their cats marshmallow root for bladder health, and I think pain relief from urinary tract issues. I have heard about couch grass, but that is about it and there was nothing on this site about that either. Cranberry extract is a less potent version of D-Mannose, so maybe it wouldn't be as inclined to give your cat diarrhea.

Wish I could help more and hope other members will come along soon with some of their own ideas.
Yes, the couch grass and bearberry are my main concern. Thanks for your input. Yes, hopefully someone else will weight in on my questions. 🙂

MoMoMeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Besides mannose, I give corn silk in powder capsule version to my cat, as well as marshmallow root as was mentioned. Both seem to work for him.

Corn silk is kind of like mannose, in that it can help with bacteria prevention and increase urine flow. Avoid the tea versions of it, though, as some of them can contain stuff not good for kitties in them I think. The powder is fine. I found out about it through the FLUTD Facebook group, they have a lot of information on stuff like this, if you'd like to check them out.

I use this brand specifically.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nicole S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Besides mannose, I give corn silk in powder capsule version to my cat, as well as marshmallow root as was mentioned. Both seem to work for him.

I use this brand specifically.
Thanks for this information. How much of each do you use, and, how often? Do you just open the capsules and sprinkle it on the food?

MoMoMeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for this information. How much of each do you use, and, how often? Do you just open the capsules and sprinkle it on the food?
Yup, for each I just open them up and mix it into food.

For the corn silk, it was recommended by the group to use one capsule a day, so I just split it into his meals until one is used up by the end of the day. Half/half, or into three portions is fine. I use the smaller side of the capsule when it's pulled apart to measure.

Same use for the marshmallow root, I give him one a day, half in the morning and half at night.