Already Cut Out Growth 2x From Same Spot. Another Is Back.

juntjoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Spot is behind his shoulder. Did this twice in a year over a year ago since the last one. Now I can feel a lump under the scar. Can you just keep cutting then out? How do you stop them from growing? Is this a bad sign? I never paid for a biopsy. What's the advantage of a biopsy, of knowing what it is? I'd probably only take the same actions anyway right?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would definitely pay for a biopsy, as you need to know what it is you're dealing with. Some lumps are harmless and can just be left alone if not causing any problems, some can be treated with medication, and some need removal (and further treatment, in the case of cancer). I would go back to the vet and see what they have to say. If removal is advised, get it biopsied so you know which treatment plan is appropriate moving forward. If removal isn't necessary, you can ask for a needle aspiration to be done, so that a small sample of the lump can be tested without surgery. This isn't foolproof, but it's a good guide.

As an example, my dog has developed fatty lumps as she's got older, and these are totally harmless. On the other end of the spectrum, my girl had lumps which turned out to be feline leprosy (VERY rare, I hasten to add. Even the vet was shocked!). You never know until you biopsy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juntjoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would definitely pay for a biopsy, as you need to know what it is you're dealing with. Some lumps are harmless and can just be left alone if not causing any problems, some can be treated with medication, and some need removal (and further treatment, in the case of cancer). I would go back to the vet and see what they have to say. If removal is advised, get it biopsied so you know which treatment plan is appropriate moving forward. If removal isn't necessary, you can ask for a needle aspiration to be done, so that a small sample of the lump can be tested without surgery. This isn't foolproof, but it's a good guide.

As an example, my dog has developed fatty lumps as she's got older, and these are totally harmless. On the other end of the spectrum, my girl had lumps which turned out to be feline leprosy (VERY rare, I hasten to add. Even the vet was shocked!). You never know until you biopsy.
Thanks. I don't remember what they quoted me last time for the biopsy but it wasn't too bad and I do wanna know what I'm dealing with. My last guy passed due to a growth in his mouth and I'm still heart broken over it so this time I will make sure I do the most I can do as early as possible. Do benign growths also reoccur like this? I feel like something persistent isn't too friendly.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not a vet or an expert, but I'm inclined to agree with you. Unless, of course, its excessive scar tissue that you're deal with, but it doesn't sound like that from what you say. Definitely get it checked out. Its always best to know, in my opinion.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Benign growths can reoccur, depending on what they are. Cysts will most likely come back if the sack that contained it was not FULLY removed and lipomas can grow back if all the tissue was not removed the first time.
What did the vet say the lump probably was the first two times it was removed? Did they only drain it?