Alopecia (hair loss) on haunches

purrfect mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi; only happening 1/3 cats. I know people can't provide med advice, so wondering what your experience has been. Would like to try and treat first before vet, as it seems it's fairly common. Online it says that can be due to 1. fleas 2. fungus 3. dietary problems.
We've just come out of a long winter, we don't wear shoes in house, all indoor cats and been told by vets that none have fleas (last apptmt sev'l mos. back). I have never seen evidence of fleas.
However, I did notice in last few mos. that she seemed to be scratching more than usual.

All the cats used to be on grain free diet when we were using high-end donated stuff (we've had cats for 2.25 years); then we started buying Meow Mix and other non-grain free in last year, year and a half.

I think the hair may be growing back; hard to tell as it's supposed to take 3 mos.

Boyfriend says that same thing happened after she was pregnant 2 yrs ago, but I didn't notice.

Also, the cat w/the issue perhaps used to be feral (we took her in)

Just switched to grain free diet in last few days. I've been washing cat beds, towels cats sleep on, towels under litter containers, etc.

Experience with this? Also, the cat bed required cold water wash. Does cold water wash get rid of any fleas/flea eggs? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
On the back of the hind legs? It's normal for that area to be somewhat bald. That's the part of the leg that is in direct contact with the floor etc when a cat sits. It's like a pressure point so hair doesn't grow well there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purrfect mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks LT, and it is actually on back of hind legs as you're describing -- but by haunch I meant the area below back and above hind legs. Thanks.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of Leroy's back legs with a bald spot:

20211206_174609[1].jpg

Just a pressure point that gets rubbed by surfaces so hair doesn't grow well. Totally normal :)

purrfect mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks LT -- and she does have some of that on hind leg - but it's above leg, below back.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
My boy has large patches on his legs, hips and stomach where he over-grooms. It's because he is stressed (he has a condition that means he's always in fight or flight response because of pressure on his heart) and he has very severe arthritis around the areas he is grooming. The vet has said that it is mainly because of pain, with the added stress making it worse.

purrfect mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Mani, LT. I guess if it were fleas, wouldn't other cats have as well? Still wondering re diet . . thanks!