Alone 20 Hours A Day On A Cats Mental Health.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So i have, after much deliberation and stress, given Pecan and Patches to a new family. I feel some relief now not so much because they have gone off but now i can stop stressing on the decision. I finally decided to let them go off together because i just felt they deserve all the happiness in the world just like Lily and i felt it so unfair to deny Patches that because i was afraid for Lily. Now she has her own family and her brother and given she is such a timid kitten, this is best for her too. Im sorry but i just didnt want to take a chance of keeping Patches and hoping someone takes Yaz and Patches one day. As lovely as they are together, when i open the adoption website i see so many other lovely kittens (some younger than these kits). So i felt really luck for this chance for them to go together. And that is a really interesting fact on Ginger cats in the UK. I think most of the cats i have helped re-home are ginger for some reason. Im at Malaysia btw and there are just too many cats and kittens around here. Im not attached to any shelter or rescue groups. Im doing this on my own because it just breaks my heart when i see a cat/kitten that needs help (the guilty conscience kills me).

Meanwhile with Yaz and Peanut, Im going to continue with the daily visitations. I dont want to stress Peanut right now by taking him to a new place (Lily's place that is). Let him be with mum and get all the love from her. He ate a little more yesterday and came to the door when i opened it. Gave me so much joy to see him walk around. In time i intend to take Yaz home (after the tests etc). But this is a risk i need to take. I didnt really know much about FIP until Peanut but as mentioned i understand most cats may have been exposed to Fcov virus so im assuming Lily may have been exposed to it at least once, given that she was a stray too and i have helped a number of strays from Lily's home before.

Regarding Lily, I think i may have made a mistake with Kit (my previous cat that Lily disliked much). He was a more aggressive male (in his games with Lily) always jumping at her which really stressed her. I managed to find him a lovely home with cats his age he could play with. I didnt also do a good job of introducing the two because Kit was born in my garden and i just naturally adopted him and his Mum (which i spayed and rehomed). Olly (the broken hip) is also a young playful male and maybe that is why Lily keeps her distance. Im hoping Yaz with her gentle nature will be a better match for Lily as both are adults and games will be bit more mature (for lack of better words :)) Will take all your kind advice when i introduce the two. And yes all my cats are neutered/spayed except Pecan, Peanut and Patches as they are just too young at 3 months. I did get a refundable deposit from the new family with promise to spay/neuter them at 6 months.

For now im concentrating on Peanut's health. Im still hoping it is not FIP and maybe he will be cured and Yaz and Peanut will live happily ever after (one can hope i guess).
It may be different there, but here there is the policy of spay/neuter at 2 pounds! which is usually around 2 months and up.
I join you in hoping and praying that it is not FIP.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all that you're doing!

Will the new family be keeping the girls inside? I worry because they can get pregnant before they are 6 months.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yazizi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. Thought I update on peanut and Yaz. So since Sunday I have been staying with peanut and Yaz a little longer. Peanut seemed to be doing great. Came to the door to greet me and ate a little more. Although he did appear to be missing his siblings he was eating better and a little more active. But today I notice that his belly looks swollen. Im guessing it is the accumulation of fluid. My heart is broken to see him like this. I was beginning to think he is getting better and it may not be FIP after all. But i was wrong. I'm taking him to the vet again tomorow. But i just feel so helpless. Am I making him suffer in his last few days? He is happiest when he is lying next to mummy. So depressing to see him suffer. The last time the vet did suggest putting him to sleep if it gets worse. But I cannot wrap my head around it. I dont think I can think of it at this moment. Is there a right time for this? When I look at his face he still appears alert and he is still sort of moving around and eating some food. I want to make his last few days as comfortable as possible that's all. The pain of seeing him deteriorate is too much for me to bear.

As for Pecan and patches. Yes they will be indoor cats. They seem to have adjusted pretty fast to their new family. I was worried for them but the updates i have been receiving have been positive.

Thank you everyone for your positive messages.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy to hear that Pecan and Patches are doing well.

Sorry to hear that Peanut is slipping. You have to trust your own instincts about the right time to let go. That he is still alert and eating food suggests to me that he is still interested in living a bit longer. I usually don't let go until they stop eating and stop showing any interest in continuing on. If Peanut is in a great deal of pain I would consider letting him go. I don't know if FIP is painful for cats or not.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. Thought I update on peanut and Yaz. So since Sunday I have been staying with peanut and Yaz a little longer. Peanut seemed to be doing great. Came to the door to greet me and ate a little more. Although he did appear to be missing his siblings he was eating better and a little more active. But today I notice that his belly looks swollen. Im guessing it is the accumulation of fluid. My heart is broken to see him like this. I was beginning to think he is getting better and it may not be FIP after all. But i was wrong. I'm taking him to the vet again tomorow. But i just feel so helpless. Am I making him suffer in his last few days? He is happiest when he is lying next to mummy. So depressing to see him suffer. The last time the vet did suggest putting him to sleep if it gets worse. But I cannot wrap my head around it. I dont think I can think of it at this moment. Is there a right time for this? When I look at his face he still appears alert and he is still sort of moving around and eating some food. I want to make his last few days as comfortable as possible that's all. The pain of seeing him deteriorate is too much for me to bear.

As for Pecan and patches. Yes they will be indoor cats. They seem to have adjusted pretty fast to their new family. I was worried for them but the updates i have been receiving have been positive.

Some years back we adopted a tiny kitten neighbors rescued from the streets. She was healthy, bouncy and playful. We started getting her kitten innoculations and at that time, because we had lost our Sun to dry-form FIP, I felt she needed the FIP vax. Shortly thereafter, she exhibited the signs you describe, and we had planned to take her in the next morning for check-up, but in the morning I found that she had passed in her sleep. Of course I was heartbroken. I believe she may have contracted FIP from the vax. I will never get it again and it is very controversial because of this possibility.

I do not know your personal beliefs but I would definitely keep Peanut in your Prayer and orange & white's suggestion is a good one to follow. My Prayers are with him as well.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise

:grouphug2::alright:As long as Peanut doesn't appear to be suffering don't waste quality time agonizing, you will know when to help him cross the rainbow bridge. Please don't leave Yaz alone when he goes. I am glad Pecan and Patches are doing so well.
You take care of yourself, we are all here with you so keep us updated.:catrub:

Yazizi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. So i took little Peanut to the vet today. Poor kitty complained all the way to the vet and back. When we were back he ran to his mama and complained a little more. Such a darling. The vet didn't seem overly concerned with Peanut's abdomen. Although swollen he said the fluid in the abdomen was not enough to put him through the procedure. He gave me some supplements and asked me to monitor him. I should be more concerned if he stops eating. Peanut is still eating. Not a lot but still shows interest in food. Such a relief for now. His favourite activity now is to sit in the balcony and watch the world go by. Ofcourse i am always 2 inches behind him. We are going to take one day at a time and im going to enjoy every minute i get with little Peanut.

Im so glad to have found this wonderful community with such encouraging words and positive messages. It means a lot to me as very few people understand why i do what i do :(. Thank you so much everyone. Im feeling very positive today. Praying hard for little Peanut. Yaz will not be alone. She will be loved as much as Lily and will be a part of my family. Separate rooms (since Olly will be leaving this weekend) while i get her tested but i cannot bear to see her alone in the apartment 20 hours a day.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. So i took little Peanut to the vet today. Poor kitty complained all the way to the vet and back. When we were back he ran to his mama and complained a little more. Such a darling. The vet didn't seem overly concerned with Peanut's abdomen. Although swollen he said the fluid in the abdomen was not enough to put him through the procedure. He gave me some supplements and asked me to monitor him. I should be more concerned if he stops eating. Peanut is still eating. Not a lot but still shows interest in food. Such a relief for now. His favourite activity now is to sit in the balcony and watch the world go by. Ofcourse i am always 2 inches behind him. We are going to take one day at a time and im going to enjoy every minute i get with little Peanut.

Im so glad to have found this wonderful community with such encouraging words and positive messages. It means a lot to me as very few people understand why i do what i do :(. Thank you so much everyone. Im feeling very positive today. Praying hard for little Peanut. Yaz will not be alone. She will be loved as much as Lily and will be a part of my family. Separate rooms (since Olly will be leaving this weekend) while i get her tested but i cannot bear to see her alone in the apartment 20 hours a day.
May you be many times blessed for your compassion, caring, and taking personal responsibility for these sweet cats. Yes, we are all with you in spirit and our *PRAYERS* for Peanut (and for you all) continue.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise

:cloud9: So happy for you. :lovecat2:Keep us updated.:catrub:

Yazizi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. Appreciate some advice regarding little peanut. Sadly he appears a little bad today. There appears to be some sort of swelling in his hind legs. He can't seem to walk very well and he is sleeping in a very funny position, with his back pushed up. My first instinct is to rush him to the vet. But he was there only 2 days ago. He really doesn't like going to the vet and the vet told me to bring him back only if he stops eating. He is still showing interest in food. He takes a slow walk to the kitchen area to have his favourite food (I did try serving near his sleeping area but he refused to eat there).

So I'm in a dilemma. I'm afraid the vet may just ask me to hold on despite taking the trip there. Or do I take him to another animal hospital. They r known for dealing with complicated cases. I took peanut there for a second opinion and they extracted the liquid from his chest area. But this hospital is very crowded and patients may have to wait for more than an hour to see the doc. My dilemma is should I put him through this unpleasant experience despite knowing he may have fip and will not make it after all this. Should I just leave him alone and let him rest. But in my heart I'm still hoping it may not be fip and maybe if I don't take him I'm probably denying him a chance of getting cured. I dont know if I'm being a bit stupid here in thinking that way. But when we deal with life, every decision is so difficult. I have attached a pic of the way he is resting as I type.

Attachments

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is typically how cats rest when they don't feel well, or are nauseous. I'm so sorry to tell you that I think it may be time to let him go. I think it's only going to get worse as the disease progresses.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. Appreciate some advice regarding little peanut. Sadly he appears a little bad today. There appears to be some sort of swelling in his hind legs. He can't seem to walk very well and he is sleeping in a very funny position, with his back pushed up. My first instinct is to rush him to the vet. But he was there only 2 days ago. He really doesn't like going to the vet and the vet told me to bring him back only if he stops eating. He is still showing interest in food. He takes a slow walk to the kitchen area to have his favourite food (I did try serving near his sleeping area but he refused to eat there).

So I'm in a dilemma. I'm afraid the vet may just ask me to hold on despite taking the trip there. Or do I take him to another animal hospital. They r known for dealing with complicated cases. I took peanut there for a second opinion and they extracted the liquid from his chest area. But this hospital is very crowded and patients may have to wait for more than an hour to see the doc. My dilemma is should I put him through this unpleasant experience despite knowing he may have fip and will not make it after all this. Should I just leave him alone and let him rest. But in my heart I'm still hoping it may not be fip and maybe if I don't take him I'm probably denying him a chance of getting cured. I dont know if I'm being a bit stupid here in thinking that way. But when we deal with life, every decision is so difficult. I have attached a pic of the way he is resting as I type.
Awwww, poor little boy! He is in my Prayers. If you are spiritual, perhaps you would pray on the matter and be guided that way. If you are not, you will have to trust to what you feel is right and what little Peanut is telling you by his behavior. No one else could or should make this decision. Much love to him!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not stress him with another vet visit right now. The swelling in his legs is more fluid accumulation from the FIP. I would let him rest. It's good that he still shows an interest in food. That tells you that he hasn't given up yet, even if he's having a bad day.

Lots of us are hoping with you and praying for a miracle with little Peanut. :grouphug:

Yazizi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. Poor peanut seems to be in so much pain. His limbs are quite swollen and he is limping around slowly. He can't seem to be able to sleep and keeps trying to change position because of the pain I should think. But he still comes to the door to greet me and still mews loudly for his favourite food. Still eating well for his condition. But when he lies down he stares at me with a blank expression that is just too painful to watch. I hope God can guide my decision. As long as peanut fights I'm gonna fight with him.

Over the weekend little Olly with the broken hip left me for his furever home. He found the most wonderful family and I'm so happy for him. Lily has just started coming up to the room and sleeping at her usual spot. But with Olly gone im now thinking if i should move Yaz and peanut to my house. I can spend more time looking after peanut. But do you think this move would stress little peanut too much? I'm afraid Yaz maybe be stressed too and that would probably affect peanut. Should I just leave him here and continue my usual visits. I just want to make him as comfortable as possible.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as peanut fights I'm gonna fight with him.
Bless you, and little Peanut. :grouphug2:

Over the weekend little Olly with the broken hip left me for his furever home. He found the most wonderful family and I'm so happy for him. Lily has just started coming up to the room and sleeping at her usual spot. But with Olly gone im now thinking if i should move Yaz and peanut to my house. I can spend more time looking after peanut. But do you think this move would stress little peanut too much? I'm afraid Yaz maybe be stressed too and that would probably affect peanut. Should I just leave him here and continue my usual visits. I just want to make him as comfortable as possible.
That's good that Olly went to his permanent home and that lightens your load a little.

I'd bring Yaz and Peanut to your house and see how it goes. Driving between two places like you're doing is more work for you, and you have to take care of yourself too. If there are major problems with the three cats getting along you can always take them back to the current setup.

Prayers your way.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will your vet give you a painkiller to make Peanut more comfortable? I'm sure he's in a lot of pain.

Yazizi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I took him to the vet last week he wasn't as bad. His legs were not swollen for one and he seemed a lot better generally. His swelling started on Sunday. I will check with the vet on the pain medication. But giving him his pills is no easy task. He literally clenches his jaw shut and getting him to open it is really difficult as he is so frail. He does appear to be in pain though.

I'm planning to move them to my place on Friday so that I can be with them over the weekend after the move. Fingers crossed all will go well.

On the other side, Lily is getting back to herself in my room. After more than a month she followed me to the room today and jumped on the bed to be stroked. I just feel so bad for her when I bring in Yaz. The room is off limit again :(. Lily is like my first born. She has a special place in my heart. I gotta work really hard to get them to be friends.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is an opioid pain medication that is absorbed by the gums - buprenorphine. You just squirt in a tiny bit. I'm sorry to say that he sounds like he is really suffering.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*PRAYERS* ongoing for sweet little Peanut. Not sure how far he is from your house but if you have a comfortable way to move him there, with Yaz, I would. Keep them close to you and that way you can monitor Peanut and care for him right away. Very good news about little Olly.

Last edited: