Almost Perfect Kittens

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I adopted 2 6mt kittens on Sept 17. Leo male and Luna female, littermates and desexed. I tried to do a slow introduction our very skittish 13yr Sqeeker. Present weights Sqeeker 6lb, Luna 6lb, Leo 9lb. Sqeeker has always enjoyed being the beta cat.

Turns out all 3 of them can turn doorknobs. As expected, Skeeter walked right up to each and touched noses but then let out a long loud hiss. Luna kind of shook her shoulders and walked away, Leo fell over. The 1st night I kept the twins in with us. By night 2 it was clear they were respecting Sqeeker so I left all doors open.

Sqeek went back to the room I set up for him and mostly stayed there for 4 days except to eat and use the box. He had dry food, water, and a box in his room and when I brought his wet in, he led me back to the kitchen. Everybody chose to use the litter box in the bathroom even though we have 3 on this level and 2 in the basement. A few days later Sqeek moved to my bed. Then in a few more days out to the living room and mostly in The Cave. The Cave = an old tv stand in a corner between a wall and my chair. When the heat is on, it’s the warmest spot in the house and one of his “safe” petting spots. In cooler weather he’s always spent long hours in here.

The twins have settled in. While awake both made themselves at home getting to know the house. I was amazed at how respectful they were, and still are, to Sqeeker. For the first 7-10 days Luna slept behind a dresser then in the cat tree tunnel. She’s a curious girl so came running every time anyone made noise. Leo didn’t leave my side and needed to be at my heart when sleeping. They’ve become more independent, will sleep and play everywhere. Leo is always ready to cuddle and Luna loves cuddles not continuously. They both let Sqeek sniff them but Sqeek gives them the look if they get too close. Leo just falls over. Sometimes he falls if he’s close to Sqeek but Sqeek hasn’t seen him yet. Luna is unpredictable. Sometimes she’ll stand still, other times tries to sniff back, and gets bopped but not upset by being bopped.

They now use 2 of the 5 boxes and occasionally use a basement box. Luna is curious about both cat and human potty time. She’s tried to get her nose into everybody’s business. She’s gotten into the box and used it with Leo. Sqeeker won’t let her do that even though he used to do it with Yoshi. But he let’s her sniff what ever she wants with no nervousness. When the twins are playing/zooming Sqeeker sits out in the open and reaches out to try and touch one as they go by. They veer around or jump over him. He gets a little surprised but stays put. Leo has snuck in and slept next to Sqeek but no cuddling. I’m hopeful and more than a little proud of “bossy” Skeeter.

Now to the “almost”. The twins are obsessed with all food. They are getting no human food. I think they get enough food ½ can each Fancy Feast kitten 2x dly and free feed Authority kitten. Skeeker get ½ can Fancy Feast and eats the same dry. He had his annual and senior blood work was all normal so was give the ok eat kitten dry. Sqeeker is not underweight, but it would be nice if he gained a little buffer in case he ever gets sick.

They both know “NO” and are learning “down” at the counters. Leo is more of a people pleaser so complies more but usually gets right back up. Luna is pure cat. She gives the “who me” look which I expect to grow into “in your dream” so she gets put on the floor. They get 2 chances to stay down then get strollered until their food is ready. As soon as they gobble theirs they go for Sqeeker’s. Sqeeker has always had a sibling trying to steal his food so even the first week he ate with them from his plate. I grab them as fast as I can. Luna always has to go in the stroller. Sometimes I can pull Leo a few feet away, hold him down, and say stay and he does. Other times he puts himself in “stay”. More often it’s back in the stroller for him too. Until a few days ago I kept a pot lid on Sqeekers leftovers for him. Leo figured out how to take it off. I pulled out my no fail cake box, popped Sqeek’s dish in, and locked it. The twins tossed that cake box all over the kitchen. Me and Sqeek just watched. Sqeeker did get new food. Now, I let them out with one hand and put Sqeeker’s leftovers in the stroller with the other hand. When Sqeeker wants it, I put it down, then catch and toss them in the stroller before they get to his food.

They are still growing and I can handle 15lb of kittens most days. Maybe even 20 but Leo is gaining ½ lb a week. It won’t be long before they are too big for me to grab both or they figure out how to avoid getting caught.

Do I put a little food in the cake box and hope they can’t get in and give up while hiding Sqeek’s food somewhere else? Any other ideas?

The twins have also discovered the trash this week. What are the best covered cans?

To make up for my long windedness I’m adding some pictures. Luna- gray oriental looking Leo- tabby with O on his side and eyes closed Sqeeker – tabby with beautiful green eyes and snowballs on his cheeks
20220922_165821.jpg
DSCN0463.JPG
VideoCapture_20221001-122612.jpg

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I have this right, you aren't worried about the older cat's weight, and he is eating kitten dry, just like the kittens, which is always out in unlimited amounts. The older cat and the kittens get fancy feast at 2 meals, and one of the kittens goes for his fancy feast after eating theirs.

Two ideas, although I think I like one better than the other.

Firstly, give the kittens more moist food for the moist food feeding so they take longer to eat it. Fancy Feast has those small cans, 1/2 isn't much. Perhaps you could do one FF feeding instead of two, and just put it all out. With unlimited dry grazing, they will in no way be hurt by this. And with more moist food at the moist feeding, hopefully they dont bother your older cat with his food. You could also up their total daily moist food by doing more at 2 feedings, but this would require using an extra can a day, which I understand is $.

Alternatively, one or two private feedings for the older cat.

I have this theory that kittens being crazy eager leads to problems later, so I'd want to end this even without regard to the too high amount of effort your putting in. So I'd probably shy away from the private feedings option, because that would still leave the kittens wolfing down their fancy feast, and racing each other to chow down on the limited supply. My theory is that its best to put out exactly as much as they will eat. That way, they dont get crazy eager and race each other, and if I'm right, are less likely to have food anxiety when older and when you may need to start limiting their food. So I like the first option above better (either variant of it.)

Hope there is something helpful in here.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They're all so beautiful!
Do you have any room that the kittens could be trained to be fed in that the doorknob situation could be managed with something like a chair pushed in front of the door, since they can open them? I've fed multiples, my own and others, and have had to get creative.
IMO keeping the senior or resident pet happy and stress free is important, especially during mealtimes, and if that involves keeping the littles or new kids locked up for a half hour or so with their own food, that's the way it is. For 2+ years, Lila ate and slept confined. She had a bed, water, dry food and litter. It kept the older cats (especially my older female, who wasn't really happy with the new addition) more relaxed at night and at meal times, and since Lila was a brand new addition (and a kitten at that), it was just how it was and she knew no different so she didn't complain.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The twins have also discovered the trash this week. What are the best covered cans?
I think some kind of can with a footpedal activated lid.
Amazon.com : kitchen trash cans with foot pedal

I'm echoing artnj and suggesting that you give the twins and maybe your older boy a third wet meal? What about slow feeders for the twins?
I copied this from a TCS article;

14. Place food in an egg tray
If your cat gulps down food, putting it in a melamine egg tray or in the hollows of a deviled egg serving dish which will force him to eat slower. Tip offered by @jcat

16. Spread wet food on a plate
Try spreading canned/wet food onto a dinner plate (think putting butter or peanut butter on bread). That way kitty has to lick the food rather than gulp it. Works best for paté style foods. Tip offered by @Columbine

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Child safety covers for the doorknobs should work. You can also put a latch on the door to keep it from opening if the cats somehow manage to figure out the knob cover.

There are child safety locks you can put on trash cans to keep the lid from opening.

Feed more canned food and less dry. Half a can of FF is hardly anything to fill hungry tummies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If I have this right, you aren't worried about the older cat's weight, and he is eating kitten dry, just like the kittens, which is always out in unlimited amounts. The older cat and the kittens get fancy feast at 2 meals, and one of the kittens goes for his fancy feast after eating theirs.

Two ideas, although I think I like one better than the other.

Firstly, give the kittens more moist food for the moist food feeding so they take longer to eat it.

I have this theory that kittens being crazy eager leads to problems later

Hope there is something helpful in here.
IMO keeping the senior or resident pet happy and stress free is important, especially during mealtimes, and if that involves keeping the littles or new kids locked up for a half hour or so with their own food, that's the way it is.
16. Spread wet food on a plate
Thank you all! I did a 3rd meal today with the wet spread on a paper plate. Furballsmom Furballsmom I've read that so many times, probably even suggested, and completely forgot with my gang, :) It really slowed them down and was fun watching them follow their plates around. I had to put Luna back at her dish a few times and Leo was calm enough to listen to "eat your own" Feeding Sqeeker is a full time job. I forgot to note his snacks. When he got his bisque the twins got their 3rd meal. He also gets a sprinkling of Fancy Feast dry. They got some in a treat ball. I realized today that part of the issue is hearing cats. Sqeeker screams, we get his food out of lock-up, and it's been that way for years. His big brother was deaf at the end of his life so slept through extra meals. Now Sqeek yells and everybody appears.

Sqeeker is a little unusual. He always makes happy noises at strange cats in the yard. The twins started out across the room. In week 2 Sqeek preferred to sniff Luna's butt rather than eat, so I put her a food a few feet from his. He relaxed and ate more than he usually dose at his first grazing.

A ArtNJ I follow your theory. The less crazy they are, the quicker they will learn, and hopefully follow direction. They are great in the morning as the day goes on they get crazier.

I think some kind of can with a footpedal activated lid.
Amazon.com : kitchen trash cans with foot pedal
Thank you Furballsmom Furballsmom