Ally scared out of her mind about getting a bath

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have one of those "waterless shampoo" things that I use on Peanut- but I find it leaves his coat greasy, and I really don't like it.
He has trouble grooming due to his disabilities so his coat gets greasy on its own, but he howls like he's being disemboweled if you try to bathe him!

huyi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i always have to wash my cat as he is a longhair, how can people NOT wash their cats, one benefit of washing your cat is their coats are lovely and shiny and they smell fresh afterwards too.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HUYI

how can people NOT wash their cats, one benefit of washing your cat is their coats are lovely and shiny and they smell fresh afterwards too.
I'm not going to condemn anyone who bathes their cat(s), but here is a photo of one cat who has never had a bath (other than the ones she gives herself):

Trust me, you'd be hard-pressed to find a softer, shinier, more plush coat anywhere.
When I first adopted Holland the vet told me I'd have to bathe her at least twice a year. I decided against it after talking to other cat-owners who'd never bathed their cats. She doesn't need it - her fur is lovely and she never smells bad - and I value my life.

Good luck LawGuy, I hope Allie gets over her fears. As you can tell I don't have any useful advice for you...

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mystik Spiral

I'm not going to condemn anyone who bathes their cat(s), but here is a photo of one cat who has never had a bath (other than the ones she gives herself)
<beautiful pic and other stuff snipped for space>

What a beauty! I love the way she looks. I've never given any of my 4 meezers a bath. I have dunked body parts into the drink when they have gotten into something or poop has stuck to their fur but other than that, no bath. Sometimes I'll use those kitty bath wipes on them but very seldom. All of mine have beautiful coats. None of them smell bad. I do give them all their daily brushing which they really look forward to.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LawGuy

Wow. A lot of criticism of bathing my guys.

They do get check ups at the vet and they were just there in February for shots. I'm pretty sure there is nothing wrong with them, but I can ask the vet if this is something to be concerned about.

Food wise, they eat Wellness brand Indoor Cat formula dry food (unlimited supply), Wellness brand canned food (1 can per cat per day), and for water they have a Drinkwell Platinum that I change the filter on twice a month at least. For treats, they get Crunchlovers Chicken and Seafood flavor treats.

Also, it's important to mention that stinkiness is just one reason I bathe them. I'm extremely allergic to pet dander - that's another, and a much more important reason.]

As for the few who have gone almost as far as to imply that my bathing them is akin to animal cruelty - I find that extremely offensive considering the lengths that I go to in an effort to make sure that Ally and Ollie are as happy as two cats can be.
I don't think its cruel to bathe your cats. In particularly if you have an allergy to dander. Show cats are bathed all the time. If you're not drying their skin out and the vet says they are healthy; I would not worry about what other people say. I don't bathe my kitties. They don't have any odor and they are pretty much self cleaning. They do get a daily brushing which they love. Sounds like your 2 "kids" are quite the happy, healthy pair

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Been a while. Like I said -
I'm not terribly active online these days.

NutroMike - My guys are quite happy indeed. I would imagine if they could verbalize a complaint, bath time would be just about the only thing listed. That, and maybe the few times I've inadvertently subjected them to the dutch oven in the middle of the night, which incidentally is probably why Ollie no longer ventures under the covers.

DarkMavis - As for some recent pics, I just picked up a Canon S95 that I need to play with and figure out, so it's a good excuse to take some up to date pics.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LawGuy!!!! No advice for you, unfortunately
Thinking about just shaving my whole crew here die to hairballs - call me cruel, but Gee! Groom groom groom and just isn't enough!

I feel yourpain!
Just wanted to say I missed seeing you and your babies here
Please stick around and yes, place pictures of Ally and Ollie!!!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Why bathe a cat? They have all the equipment to get it done themselves. If they are muddy and wet, wait till they dry and brush them, they will take care of the rest.
I hate seeing mine stressed at the best of times when they have to go to the vet, so a bath would tip them overboard.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

I hate seeing mine stressed at the best of times when they have to go to the vet, so a bath would tip them overboard.
Ho boy. Isn't that the truth.

aleicia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our youngest cat is extremely afraid of having a bath. I can just imagine how she would scratch my husband's arms, I say my husband because I would never attempt this, only he would be that brave or crazy, can't decide which one. We have given our oldest a bath once, and honestly that didn't go great either, but at least there wasn't too many scratches. Most cats hate having a bath, I think they feel insulted, they feel that they are quite capable of cleaning themselves.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Not sure if this has been suggested, but what about the cat-wipes? or water-less bath that I've been hearing about? (sorry if its been said, just skimmed the board).

Monet usually gets a bath 2-3 times a year. he may not need it, but I want to keep him familiar with the tub and water in case he really does need it. He doesn't hate it, but he doesn't love it either.